The importance of experience(?)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

The importance of experience(?)

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:25 am

This time last year we were wondering how many of our namby-pamby upper-tier silver-spoon players would thrive amid the muck and bullets of Division Three. Parky wisely added a certain type of player – usually a Northern six-footer who'd been round this block before – and it all worked out fine in the end.

Now it's a different question: how many of the squad can make the step up? And as a sub-question, how important is previous experience at this level?

For example, Mark Little has spent most of his career in tier 2 – just about. He's spent whiles at Peterborough and Bristol City, each of whom have flitted between the second and third tiers (he's also played in Division Four with an early loan at Chesterfield). I wondered how that experience measured up with the rest of our lads, and here's the answers... discuss at will...

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 10.12.20.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 10.12.20.png (83.89 KiB) Viewed 916 times

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The importance of experience(?)

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 am

Interesting question. Let us not forget either that as good as Wheater was last season he was crap last time out in the second tier. Maybe Parky's midfield might offer more protection though and not play as high up. That said, I'm confident that we'll be alright defensively overall (including GKs). Going forward I'm not so sure though. We won't have as much time to dwell on the ball and that's a concern. I can only see goals coming from ALF.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:46 am

I think we have experience. What we need is quality. Especially attacking quality. I don't care whether those players are experienced or not so long as they have something about them.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:08 pm

For what it's worth, updated with new boys, not all of whom have experience at this level. Figures are before this season starts (first tier-two steps for Darby and Cullen), ages are as of today (happy birthday, Antonee!)
Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 12.03.34.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 12.03.34.png (95.5 KiB) Viewed 635 times

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:44 pm

The goalkeeper is interesting. I am surprised it has been Howard not Alnwick, and Howards lack of football at this level backs me up. Good to have competition though.