It was 13 years ago today

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: It was 13 years ago today

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:51 pm
Don't know how to write this on the interweb without it becoming some binary nonsense.

Hierro was absolutely fantastic for that period in the latter half of the season in midfield. Superb.

However, I often hear Bolton fans say he was the best player they've seen. He played less than half a season of good games. Yes he was superb, but probably would have been found out to some extent at a later date.

Not diminishing him in any way, but feel his brief cameo here was given a status it probably didn't quite deserve. Thats not to say it wasn't brilliant. But being fair, Campo did a similar job year after year.
Campo was one of the star players in a side regularly finishing in the top 8.

Hierro came in and did the same job on a different level. Absolutely sensational. Along with Okocha and Djorkaeff the greatest player to pull on the shirt (certainly since the 50s) IMO. You can't make me choose.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:07 pm
bw@bw wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:59 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:51 pm
Don't know how to write this on the interweb without it becoming some binary nonsense.

Hierro was absolutely fantastic for that period in the latter half of the season in midfield. Superb.

However, I often hear Bolton fans say he was the best player they've seen. He played less than half a season of good games. Yes he was superb, but probably would have been found out to some extent at a later date.

Not diminishing him in any way, but feel his brief cameo here was given a status it probably didn't quite deserve. Thats not to say it wasn't brilliant. But being fair, Campo did a similar job year after year.
Not far off the mark.
In the first half season, defensively, he had been poor.
In the second half of that season, playing midfield, he was different class. A privilige to watch in a golden era.

Better than Le God? Probably. But even asking the question puts him a class above Campo.
I'd have Youri above him. And for me, Jay Jay too. Second half of the season we stayed up at West Ham's expense....I'd say for a brief window in that run in Okocha was the best midfield played in the world. Some of the things he did were truly magical. Sure it didn't entirely last, in the same way Hierro probably wouldn't have...but still that run in is probably the most absorbed I've ever been as a football fan.
Opinion stealer! I've been saying that (without the courage-of-your-conviction-lacking "midfield" qualifier) for years.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:32 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:01 am
Yep that run in was incredible. Somehow us and West Ham both found top4 form for the last ten games having been terrible for the first 28 games. I still haven't figured out how Brett Ormerod missed that open goal in our crucial 0-0 draw at Southampton in the penultimate game. I have never seen a TV replay of it.

Re Campo, this never gets old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLLDva_VrJ4&t=3s
Forgot how good he was at attacking crosses. His technique - Passing, Heading and shooting was out of this world and he was also deceptively quick! What a player. He loved it here, he loved us and we loved and still love him. What a man
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:33 am

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:32 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Yep that run in was incredible. Somehow us and West Ham both found top4 form for the last ten games having been terrible for the first 28 games. I still haven't figured out how Brett Ormerod missed that open goal in our crucial 0-0 draw at Southampton in the penultimate game. I have never seen a TV replay of it.

Forgot how good he was at attacking crosses. His technique - Passing, Heading and shooting was out of this world and he was also deceptively quick! What a player. He loved it here, he loved us and we loved and still love him. What a man
Touching bromance, brings a little tear to the eye.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:34 am

There was a game against United a few years back, we had Frandsen and Okocha in the middle of the Park - They had Djemba Djemba, Keane, Scholes and Beckham in midfield and the pair of them, absolutely schooled their lot

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:33 am
boltonboris wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Brought a tear to my japs eye, Worthy

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:34 am
There was a game against United a fair few years back, we had Frandsen and Okocha in the middle of the Park - They had Djemba Djemba, Keane, Scholes and Beckham in midfield and the pair of them, absolutely schooled their lot

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:36 am

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:34 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:33 am
boltonboris wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Brought a tear to my japs eye, Worthy
:lol: :lol:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:51 am

boltonboris wrote:
He loved it here, he loved us and we loved and still love him.
And he still loves us. I may have missed it, but I don't see him making social posts in which his niece is given a Real Madrid teddy.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:42 pm

Ivan will be back; he's only gone for a haircut..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:06 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:42 pm
Ivan will be back; he's only gone for a haircut..
Had a shit game at centre back on his debut though. Therefor, anything else he did whilst here amounts to little more than a saucer of piss. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:55 am

'Ivan Campo liked your reply 5m'

May the bridges I burn light your way