New contract for Parky

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

New contract for Parky

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:46 am

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... Parkinson/

Close to agreeing a new deal with Parkinson. Think this is great. Definitely want him tied down, because if he keeps us up this season you can bet he'll be in demand elsewhere.

Parky is the best thing to happen to this club in ages.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: New contract for Parky

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:56 am

Great news. I've thought a few times that he could walk with all the chaos and new revelations springing up, but looks like Ken is keeping him fully briefed. Be our best signing this season this
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:02 am

It would certainly be an indication of his faith in the club, and a way for us to get a bit more money if he is spirited away to better things. But let's be clear, it would only be a bit more money - manager compos are rarely anything like a player's transfer fee, and I'm guessing that even if he was contracted for five years we'd still be lucky to get £250,000 compo – aka 15 weeks of Amos.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:21 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:02 am
It would certainly be an indication of his faith in the club, and a way for us to get a bit more money if he is spirited away to better things. But let's be clear, it would only be a bit more money - manager compos are rarely anything like a player's transfer fee, and I'm guessing that even if he was contracted for five years we'd still be lucky to get £250,000 compo – aka 15 weeks of Amos.
Better things? There are no better things than managing BWFC. He's a good fit here. We're a good fit for him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:30 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:21 am
Better things? There are no better things than managing BWFC. He's a good fit here. We're a good fit for him.
I assume your tongue is rammed into your cheek, given how long/loud/often you've (rightly) complained about our situation. If he's an excellent manager – and he certainly seems promising – how long should he have to continue with no money to spend, operating under punitive restrictions through no fault of his own?

Here's a scenario: in December, with Bolton solidly in lower midtable and just as solidly in embargo, Hull – in the drop zone after a humiliating experience with square peg Leonid Slutsky – get relatively rich new owners who sack the gaffer and are ready to bankroll Parkinson to stabilise them. Should he stay?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:51 am

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:30 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:21 am
I assume your tongue is rammed into your cheek, given how long/loud/often you've (rightly) complained about our situation. If he's an excellent manager – and he certainly seems promising – how long should he have to continue with no money to spend, operating under punitive restrictions through no fault of his own?

Here's a scenario: in December, with Bolton solidly in lower midtable and just as solidly in embargo, Hull – in the drop zone after a humiliating experience with square peg Leonid Slutsky – get relatively rich new owners who sack the gaffer and are ready to bankroll Parkinson to stabilise them. Should he stay?
There comes a point with any manager where if they do well for long enough they risk outgrowing the club they are at. Allardyce the classic example. However, Allardyce never finished higher in the league after leaving us than he did here.

Firmly believe in certain managers being good fits at certain clubs. Clearly timing and situation plays a big part too. Parky may have been less of a fit when we had greater aspirations and achieving them in a swashbuckling manner...though one would correctly argue those aspirations were part of our downfall.

In your hypothetical scenario then I'd again strongly argue he shouldn't go. He's building something here, with restrictions yes, but he has owners who seem supportive and knows how to create a bond between players and staff. Go to Hull say, in that scenario and its different. Spend money, get results or else....Parky has seen new owners come in and sweep clubs off their feet....happened to him at Bradford...their new owners waived his compo to let him come here as they didn't like him. He knows all that glitters isn't gold.

By the end of this season I think the ownership is either sorted or we're in a total and utter mess. That for me is the point Parky may go if enough off-field progress hasn't been made. But I think Ken knows that too and will have to get a wriggle on.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:03 am

Surely the compo would be at the very least, what is left to run on his contract, wage wise
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:23 am

I guess the point about aspirations is that sometimes (and in football probably moreso) you have to go out on that limb to be able to do them. Whilst we were doing well with Brucie and Todd, we still had our metaphorical financial arse hanging out of our metaphorical trousers. There wouldn't have been an "uplift" from which to have such a large "downfall" without those aspirations, there would have just been the "downfall".

As you often point out, who would be stupid enough to buy a Club making an annual loss of £9m per annum with a debt position worse than it is now? That was the position in 1999 and 2000...Stop looking at the fact that we had our moments in the sun as if without them everything in the garden would have been tickity-boo, and move on. :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:25 am

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:03 am
Surely the compo would be at the very least, what is left to run on his contract, wage wise
Not really. You may be thinking of compensation paid to managers sacked in contract - from AVB's Chelsea payoff down to Megson's gardening leave – but the "transfer fee" paid to another club is rarely anything much.

It's a negotiation, and that might be the starting point for the "selling club". But the realpolitik is that by that stage, the manager has decided to leave: both sides know that it's rarely worth battling to keep an unsettled manager – not just a Wantaway Winger, but the bloke who runs the entire playing side of the club, including all the players who know very well that he wants to leave and will thus be somewhat demotivated even if he stays. So it becomes a buyer's market, and the rest is just haggling over damaged goods.

The other thing to bear in mind is that in all but a tiny handful of cases, managers get paid less than players – a lot less. I would be very surprised indeed if Parky's on more than the recently imposed EFL player cap of £4,500pw.

If I get time I might dig in to check levels of compo paid for "signed" managers (as opposed to salary payoffs for managerial failures).