Championship prediction and analysis by fivethirtyeight (professional analytics company)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Re: Championship prediction and analysis by fivethirtyeight (professional analytics company)

Post by nelson66 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:14 pm

I think thats a fair reflection - except that I would have Bolton in fourth bottom position rather than second bottom.

There is a definite mini league which we need to finish on top of - all the B's Barnsley Birmingham Burton Brentford Bristol City and Burton and then Millwall

Losses and draws to the better teams - but we need to be taking points of this lot
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Championship prediction and analysis by fivethirtyeight (professional analytics company)

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:34 pm

...which all keeps coming back to the idea that we dropped two points at Millwall.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:48 pm

So we ignore it, go out and play football and make ourselves safe. If we don't, why bother? Has any one of these thirty eight companies analysers put their life savings on their predictions being right? Somehow, I doubt it. XXXX em, Come on you Whites.... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:23 am

IIRC, Nate Silver really made his name in the 2012 US Presidential election, when his model got the Barack Obama 332-206 win spot on, and most other predictions were forecasting a Romney win or a much closer result?

Since then his model has failed pretty spectacularly with Brexit and the last US presidential election, though tbf his model gave Clinton a 71% chance of winning, much lower than many other models that were predicting 85%+.

Personally I would bet a penny chew that Hull and Sunderland are ridiculously high in his table, and will both get far fewer points. Sporting Index also offer points predictions for the Championship:

https://www.sportingindex.com/spread-be ... ts-2017-18

Gudnisson Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gudnisson Trotter » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:33 am

I don't need a fancy prediction analysis to tell me that we will be in the bottom six with Burton, Millwall, Barnsley, Birmingham and one other (QPR/Bristol City). We have got a job on but we have to hope that we get enough points against the teams mentioned and we are lucky with injuries.