Website Errors and faults

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Website Errors and faults

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi all,

Just to inform you that the problems that you may or may not have had trouble with, i.e. Unable to edit posts and add replies has been resolved. The hosts had mad an addition to the server and changed a setting.

All should work as before.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Website Errors and faults

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:31 pm

Thanks as usual, mate. Appreciate the work you (and others) put in.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:31 pm
Thanks as usual, mate. Appreciate the work you (and others) put in.
Ditto
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:04 pm

Ta :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:24 pm

For DJBlu (putting this here just in case....

Hey mate.I sent you a PM about a long-time member who cant sign in. Did you get it?

Jim.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:44 pm

Just signed in via Twitter (wonders of modern technology) but as with Tango's mate, I couldn't sign in and repeated attempts to get password resets didnt work.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Poor old Dujon has been trying to login for a couple of months with no success, even as a new user. The various problem are highlighted in emails we exchanged which may mean no new users can join. Dujon and I are both named John btw.

Dujon wrote:

Hello, again, John,
Tango Dancer has apparently sent messages to DJBlu. There has been no response. Of course s/he might well be otherwise occupied.
TD has also helped me and Dave Suttons Barnet to contact each other and provide a spreadsheet of BWFC's history - well, most of it.
So, unwilling to pester TD yet again, I wonder whether you would be prepared to allow me a favour?
If so, would you be prepared to attempt a new registration and let me know the result? In no way should this affect your current set-up (I hope). This will involve a different e-mail address from that you currently use for the site and, of course, a new user name. I suspect that you will not be able to register.
Should you accept this mission, John ...
Regards, as usual,
John

Monty replied:

Okay, I created another email address and tried to register (using a different IP to boot).

All went fine until I got to this screen:

To prevent automated registrations the board requires you to enter a confirmation code. The code is displayed in the image you should see below. If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise read this code please contact the Board Administrator.
Confirmation code:
In an effort to prevent automatic submissions, we require that you complete the following challenge.

I could tick the “I am not a robot box” but there was no confirmation code to put in, no “image below” etc.
So your suspicions are correct.
I have since logged in under my usual name.

Dujon answered:

OK, John, as you are registering a new user your browser is giving you slightly different information - but the same problem is affecting all attempts at creating a new identity or an existing identity if that person does not have a 'cookie' installed on their computer by the site. Why my 'cookies' went walkabout is anyone's guess; perhaps when I was doing an automated clean-up of my disc.

When I attempt to log in I am taken to a second page where it claims I have made too many attempts to log in and puts me through Captcha system. This involves a grid of images from which you have to select those that include a particular object (road; road sign; store-front ...) until such time as there no more visible depicting that type of object. In my case, unlike your attempt with a new identity, that part works. I hope that I'm not trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, by-the-way. :)

Once you receive a green tick in the 'I am not a robot' box and click the log in block it is supposed to log in. It doesn't. It has a hissy fit and at the top of the page appears the message(s) I included in my original e-mail to you. The very first line of that finishes with the statement "allow_url_fopen=0". To the best of my knowledge that's a database server message. The figure zero should be the figure one. It's a switch, with "0" being 'off' and the "1" being 'on'. It should be set to 'on'. The remaining lines occur as a result of the problem in the first line. If DJBlu is using an SQL database (MySQL in particular) then the control of that switch should be available to him/her via the CPanel. If not, then I cannot advise - but it has to be somewhere in the database configuration.
Of course, John, what this probably means is that no-one has been able to register, or log on if the cookie(s) go missing, since that switch was turned to zero.

If Dujon's surmise is correct (and he might be talking Sanskrit as far as I'm concerned), or even close to correct, the site may be presenting problems not only for users who chuck their cookies but for any new potential users. Certainly I could not create an account as a newbie.

I decided to post this openly rather than pm as Dujon got no joy through them. Can anything be done? TD or I could forward any information to Dujon via regular email.

Thanks!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Aye, I think there must be some sort of a server problem. I've p,m'd DjBlu a couple of times of late with no joy. Hope it can be sorted quickly;Dujon is a real long-time member and a decent guy at that. Are you aware of it all J.J.B?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:20 pm

I have disabled the "I am not a robot feature".

Try now.

Thanks

Also can you check that cookies are enabled or your antivirus is not blocking them from the site.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Hi DJB. Can you have a look at updating the January/February fixtures on the Home Page please?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:21 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:49 pm
Hi DJB. Can you have a look at updating the January/February fixtures on the Home Page please?
Done.

Cheers.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:00 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:21 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:49 pm
Done.

Cheers.
Thanks.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi all.

Currently all out busy with work at the mo.

I have added an automated fixtures list on the home page. It is only a stop gap until I can add a more suitable version for the site. It's just to stop the site looking stale for the moment with old fixtures.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:38 pm

Hi All,

I've started on a new site header for the upcoming blog introduction. Just a mock up at the minute and looking for any opinions.

I am looking to add Kevin Nolan to the picture. Does anyone have any burning desires to have any other players?

What do you guys think?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 pm

Ricky Gardner and Jimmy Phillips? Super John?

I think it should be long serving players up there, rather than the "best". Otherwise you'll have pretty much the entire Allardyce era on it...

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:34 pm

I have got Eddie Hopkinson on standby.

Good shout with Jimmy Phillips.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:42 pm

Harsh on Darren.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:32 pm

Eddie Hop and J.J Okocha, oh, and Ricky G. .

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:16 am

Agree with TW15, nice to have players from different eras on it. Anyone got a photo of David Jack so we have Tango and Montys' eras covered? :mrgreen:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:10 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:16 am
Agree with TW15, nice to have players from different eras on it. Anyone got a photo of David Jack so we have Tango and Montys' eras covered? :mrgreen:
:D