The Alternatives

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

The Alternatives

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:46 am

Seems some people want to sack the manager but won't suggest an alternative – "that's not my job", they cry, as if that stops any of us suggesting who should play at left-back. So, out of interest, here's a list of unemployed managers, as per Transfermarkt. The full list there is over 6,000 names long, so to help you out I've thinned it down to English Managers You Might Have Heard Of. Enjoy.

Alan Pardew
Sam Allardyce
Tony Adams
Mike Phelan
Alan Shearer
Kevin Keegan
John Deehan
David Webb
Tony Woodcock
Colin Todd
John Carver
Micky Adams
Nigel Adkins
Brian Deane
Trevor Morgan
David Platt
David James
Steve McMahon
Ian Crook
Mark Wright
Harry Redknapp
Nigel Pearson
Alan Stubbs
Neil Redfearn
Stuart Pearce
Neil Adams
Glenn Roeder
Justin Edinburgh
Brian McDermott
Martin Ling
Paul Merson
Michael Brown
Dave Jones
Graham Westley
Andy Hessenthaler
Terry Butcher
Brian Laws
Martin Allen

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: The Alternatives

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:51 am

That's a rum lot :|

PS - Parky deserves time seeing as he's virtually had both arms tied behind his back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:09 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:51 am
That's a rum lot :|

PS - Parky deserves time seeing as he's virtually had both arms tied behind his back.
Aye. This. Allardyce isn't coming back. The rest are depressing.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:12 am

Not much wheat - and a lot of chaffe

I'm still sticking with Parky - as he hasn't really been able to sign the players needed to compete in this division - and I don't think that anyone else could do much better with the hand he's been dealt

But ask me again after the Brentford game...
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:46 am

If we could tempt him then I would go for Pearson...

Brentford is an absolute must win game. PP will be under huge pressure if he fails to win.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:49 am

enrdentw wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:46 am
If we could tempt him then I would go for Pearson...

Brentford is an absolute must win game. PP will be under huge pressure if he fails to win.
Good choice. He'll at least manage a week before falling out with half the players.....

We are in trouble because we haven't the strength in depth or quality in the squad to compete. No manager will change that.

Let Parky have a couple of windows and see what happens. We are going down regardless.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:58 am

Has anyone got a list of out of work potential foreign managers....i.e. like Karanka

If not I'll ask my PA to have a look on line when she has time...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:24 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:58 am
Has anyone got a list of out of work potential foreign managers....i.e. like Karanka

There are 6,000 of them. Have a look at these first. I've done some work for you, now perhaps you can add your opinions to the list above – seems only fair.

Karanka was widely disliked among his players and not very popular among fans either, considering he won promotion (with a very good squad). Fans found him too defensive in outlook. There are some parallels there, perhaps, except Parky doesn't seem unpopular with his players...

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:29 am

Karanka, Pearson, Pardew, Lambert, Thomas Tuchel, Laudrup........Kevin Nolan !!

From DSB's list it has to be Trevor Morgan

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:31 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:24 am
Peter Thompson wrote:

There are 6,000 of them. Have a look at these first. I've done some work for you, now perhaps you can add your opinions to the list above – seems only fair.

Karanka was widely disliked among his players and not very popular among fans either, considering he won promotion (with a very good squad). Fans found him too defensive in outlook. There are some parallels there, perhaps, except Parky doesn't seem unpopular with his players...
Thanks appreciated

Not sure where fair comes into it though....

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:32 am

would any of them want to come here - a sh+t squad and no real investment for future strengthening ?
from the outside looking in - we're a managerial graveyard - who on earth would want to come in and take on this mess ?
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:35 am

nelson66 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:32 am
would any of them want to come here - a sh+t squad and no real investment for future strengthening ?
from the outside looking in - we're a managerial graveyard - who on earth would want to come in and take on this mess ?
It won't be an issue when Bet Fred buy the club and we have a massive war chest....

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:43 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:35 am
nelson66 wrote:
It won't be an issue when Bet Fred buy the club and we have a massive war chest....
Would they even be allowed to buy the club given the obvious conflict of interest?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:53 am

No point sacking him. We'll need someone who can get us out of league one next year.

In all seriousness, it's an impossible job at the moment. Certainly the players we have fit are not good enough. Hopefully Vela and Ameobi can get back soon.

Saturday is massive, and last night was pathetic.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:53 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:43 am
Peter Thompson wrote:
nelson66 wrote:
Would they even be allowed to buy the club given the obvious conflict of interest?
What conflict of interest? Isn't Stoke's owner also the owner (or co-owner) of one of the big online betting companies?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:54 am

I don't think its the company - it could just be one of the owners rumoured to be interested in buying the club.

Then again the rumour may be completely untrue....

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:53 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:43 am
Peter Thompson wrote:
nelson66 wrote:
What conflict of interest? Isn't Stoke's owner also the owner (or co-owner) of one of the big online betting companies?
I would have thought a betting company owning a football club that they take bets on would be as much a concern as club staff betting on matches. If it isn't then it should be.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:31 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:24 am
Peter Thompson wrote:

Thanks appreciated

Not sure where fair comes into it though....
As in, fair to ask for your opinion on the options I've presented, as you requested.
Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:29 am
From DSB's list it has to be Trevor Morgan
Heh. It's a fascinating idea that Sumo has led his team to win derbies in front of 100,000+ fans – for East Bengal against fierce rivals Mohun Bagan. He's one of the most successful foreign coaches in Indian football history. For those of us who watched him rumble round ineffectively in the Fourth Division, it's quite a concept to grasp.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:54 am
I don't think its the company - it could just be one of the owners rumoured to be interested in buying the club.

Then again the rumour may be completely untrue....
Go on then you big tease you!? :conf:

If the rumours are true that Ken's hawking the club round here there and everywhere, it makes sense to leave Parky and let new owners make a decision. Or we'd end up with a Jimmy/Reidy type combo again.
Ideally we get sold, Parky has improved results and gets the backing of the new board in January. However I'm not really that much of a dreamer.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:30 pm

I'd love to see Mourinhio have a go. Be a proper teat of his ability that. There is no-one who could do better I think save for a short term bounce. Why waste more cash sacking him? Get prepared for another go at league one and get some of these kids tested to see if we can sell them to fund the squad. Seems the only way forward to me.