Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should BWFC sack Phil Parkinson?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 69

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:16 am

It's a no from me, though I have the luxury of not having to watch the dross! My reasons are:

Unless Uncle Ken is going to find a couple of tackling midfielders capable of more that a sideways pass then I think this season is a lost cause. It was always going to be a close battle to stay up at best. Vela and Ameobi will help things, but don't expect them to be the answer to enough problems to turn things around on their own.

If we're going down (does anyone believe we've a real chance of staying up?) then any investment needs to be with a view of getting out of L1 and with commensurate salaries. We haven't any money to waste paying off management teams for a small or temporary upturn.

Parky is responsible for getting the team organised and difficult to play against. Regardless of results this is the thing he needs to sort out to retain my support longer term. Uncle Ken hasn't given Parky the tools he needs. Quite a few signings strike me as cheap bodies to fill a squad as opposed to players designed to improve or an important piece in the master plan. Until Parky is given a chance to sign players from the same pot as even the bottom half of the Championship it's hard to judge him at this level. We do know he's done a decent job of getting a lot from waifs and strays until now and he might still get it right.

I can't think who Ken might get in that would improve us enough to justify the cost. I don't see the point as I can't see anyone improving us enough without significant changes in our ability to get players in. If those significant changes were to happen has Parky not earned the right to have a crack for turning us around last season?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:09 am

Listening to the post match stuff and Parky has us down already (so do I!). I wonder if there is anyone out there who could breathe some belief into the squad - maybe as part of his coaching set up even. This does have an air of inevitability about it at the moment. We've lost all 6 home games- who (other than away fans) is going to buy a ticket at the moment? Cant see that being part of Kens business plan!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:15 am

There are only us and Palace in the country who are yet to win a game this season, neither of us have scored in our last six (their first six) or been leading at any point in any game. Wild.

Also, good stat from WWays, Parky is currently going at 8 wins from 58 games in the Championship. I don't know if I really believe there's such a thing as a 'League One' manager, but he's really not had the best time of it in the second tier so far.

Interestingly, when Parky was sacked from Hull just over a decade ago, they were in the relegation zone with four wins from 24 (Four wins! Lucky sods). The man who took over kept them up, and then took them to the Premier League the following season. Hmm.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:42 am

Got to try something different for me. He did well last year to get us up, but on paper we should have walked that league (with the exception of Sheff U). Having seen how often he was unable to tactically outthink the likes of Rochdale, Chesterfield, Oldham etc, he had no chance of going up against superior managers and teams in this league.
Pretty sure we are down already, but when he is basically saying he doesn't think we can stay up after just 9 games or whatever it is, then he has to go. Just as Neil Warnock could work wonders at this level but failed every time in the Prem, I think Parky is the lower league alternative

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:05 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:53 pm
Tombwfc wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:47 pm
Voted no. If we've got the money to pot him, I'd rather spend it on bringing a couple of players and let him try again with Ameobi fit. For me, that represents our only chance of staying up.

Definitely time to start showing some signs of life though. No wins in the next three and there simply isn't a decision to be made.
Pretty much where I'm at, Tom - or as you put it on the match thread, "I don't want to sack Parky, but nobody can have infinite job security if their team loses to nil every week. If we're not at least four points better off after the Barnsley game, we're staring down the barrel of a historically bad season, and he'll have to go." The question then comes down to money: not just sacking him (and Parkin and Allamby and Barrass and Butler and...) but also bankrolling the new bloke, who'd inherit a 95% Parky squad (with the other 5% being Pratley, surely off next summer, and Amos, surely still unaffordable and thus unavailable).

Oh and that's if there's anyone better, available, and willing to jump on board our sinking ship.

It's really bad luck that Ameobi and Vela have been unfit but we need to start looking a lot more solid. I expected a lot of 0-0s and 0-1s, but not quite so many clear losses and so much utter toothlessness.
Yep. I sympathise with him, it's a hell of a tough job, but you can't keep getting twatted every week. 3 at the back needs to go. Balls to getting whoever in up front, the defenders can't hack it and if you concede 3 every week doesn't matter who plays up top. At least make teams work to beat us.

I'd be having a look at Turner asap too.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:54 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:05 am
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:53 pm
Tombwfc wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:47 pm
Voted no. If we've got the money to pot him, I'd rather spend it on bringing a couple of players and let him try again with Ameobi fit. For me, that represents our only chance of staying up.

Definitely time to start showing some signs of life though. No wins in the next three and there simply isn't a decision to be made.
Pretty much where I'm at, Tom - or as you put it on the match thread, "I don't want to sack Parky, but nobody can have infinite job security if their team loses to nil every week. If we're not at least four points better off after the Barnsley game, we're staring down the barrel of a historically bad season, and he'll have to go." The question then comes down to money: not just sacking him (and Parkin and Allamby and Barrass and Butler and...) but also bankrolling the new bloke, who'd inherit a 95% Parky squad (with the other 5% being Pratley, surely off next summer, and Amos, surely still unaffordable and thus unavailable).

Oh and that's if there's anyone better, available, and willing to jump on board our sinking ship.

It's really bad luck that Ameobi and Vela have been unfit but we need to start looking a lot more solid. I expected a lot of 0-0s and 0-1s, but not quite so many clear losses and so much utter toothlessness.
Yep. I sympathise with him, it's a hell of a tough job, but you can't keep getting twatted every week. 3 at the back needs to go. Balls to getting whoever in up front, the defenders can't hack it and if you concede 3 every week doesn't matter who plays up top. At least make teams work to beat us.

I'd be having a look at Turner asap too.
We don't look any better with 4 at the back. The problem is summed up clearly by the statement of fact that Pratley is our best midfield player. We don't have a midfield. Whatever system you play that means you won't get results.

elhadj
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by elhadj » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:51 am

Everybody know that that the problem in this team is in the middle of the park and Parkinson did not put an organise team from the start of the season , like I said everybody know that the problem is in the middle but he keep looking at forward and defender to bring from free , Parkinson for me already given up and seems like he is already thinking about leaving or be fired from Ken Anderson , everybody said when Vela and ameobi come from injury we will play different ball I feel from this comment that Vela and ameobi is messing and ronaldo but I don't think so because Parkinson will keep playing 352 because he love this formation ,I hate those f***g thinking keep same formation every week ,some Will say our player will not work in any other formation maybe this is correct but let him first try 442,433,4411, let him try any other formation but no he will keep 352 or 4231 and both of these formation will not work .
I don't think Ken Anderson will do it and sacked Phil Parkinson because he know that he have to paid him and his staff and I don't think he have the money to do it and bring another manager and convince him that he will have the money to spend in January if he get a good result and there is a hope to stay in championship , with Parkinson I don't think we will survive.

I will keep love Bolton in loses and wins in promotion or relegation .

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:51 pm

I do strongly agree that it's less about the formation or tactics and more that we're a poor team that's getting blown away by the quality that we're up against. Our absence of players with real footballing ability is also hideously exposed in ways that it wasn't in the league below. Even at that lower level, managers sussed that we would have to either go wide or score from a set piece but it's even less effective now that the opposition have better players.

However, I have a nagging feeling that playing with a back three is adding unnecessarily to our woes and that we'd be better served by playing 4-5-1, or even, dare I say it, a compact, organised, hard-working 4-4-2. We still won't win, but, hey, we might only lose by the odd goal and scrape the occasional draw.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Id say no. I believe Parky has been trying different players and systems and we're shy of one that actually works. I don't think he's sitting idly by and letting it happen without addressing the matter, which was a criticism of Lennon.

We have an uphill battle regardless of which team we come up against at the minute. I thought the performance in the first half hour game me belief for something better, similarly with ipswich. That first goal goes in to get us one up and we will know it. Remember Nolan celebrating like mad when we were on a barren run. Same thing needs to happen here. Keep the faith.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:06 pm

Yes - absolutely....has he gone yet ?

Tactically clueless and doesn't know the first thing about coaching or playing attacking football. Almost to a man the fans knew that we had to seriously strengthen central midfield in the summer and get some aggression, physicality & leadership in there - but Parkinson obviously didn't and thought that we needed loads of wingers - nowt to do with cash or wages, even before the £4.5k limit was brought in he had plenty of time to bring in a couple of more physical CM's.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:59 pm

Look. For any other manager to consider coming to our place just now they'd have to be so seriously out of work that they're lying in a gutter drenched in piss.

Those of you who think that sacking Parkinson will automatically lead to someone coming in and them doing better in the current circumstances must be arf yez 4ucking heeds!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:11 pm

So do we just write off this season....?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:14 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:11 pm
Who's going to come in and do any better?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:14 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:11 pm
Who's going to come in and do any better?
I can't remember which thread it was in, but there have been a few suggestions....whether those mentioned would come to us in the state we are in is an issue & whether KA can afford to pot PP is another - but let's be honest who ever came in couldn't do any worse than Parkinson is doing this season

But if we don't something and leave this mon in charge, we may as well just lock the Macron gates & turn the lights off until next August, and tell the supporters to forget this season and come back next year in league !

There is not a chance of Parkinson keeping us in this league, and we'll be lucky to get close to Rotherham's points tally last season - who knows with someone else whoever that may be - we either accept relegation, write the season off completely and keep Parkinson or we at least try to stay up with someone else.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Freedman, Coyle and LSL could come in and do a lot worse.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:59 pm
Look. For any other manager to consider coming to our place just now they'd have to be so seriously out of work that they're lying in a gutter drenched in piss.

Those of you who think that sacking Parkinson will automatically lead to someone coming in and them doing better in the current circumstances must be arf yez 4ucking heeds!
I take it that Sir voted No? :D

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:38 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:30 pm
Freedman, Coyle and LSL could come in and do a lot worse.
What worse than having the worst start in about 100 years, 2 points from 27, no goals scored in the last 6 games.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:37 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:59 pm

I take it that Sir voted No? :D
I thought I'd been quite subtle. :D

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:10 pm

'No one could do any worse'

I'm getting deja vu.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:08 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:10 pm
'No one could do any worse'

I'm getting deja vu.
No one could do worse....they could. They could relegate us and the struggle in league one.

Under normal circumstances Parky would be sacked. But these have been anything but normal circumstances. And we still don't know what restrictions, if any, we are still under from the football league.