Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should BWFC sack Phil Parkinson?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 69

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Post by bedwetter2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:51 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:07 pm
Careful now – if we request a motivational manager who loves to attack, we know where that goes...

download.jpg

...but obviously there's a happy medium, and I'm not talking about Derek Acorah.

I dunno, I think Parky's still getting some unfair jibes. I don't think he can be castigated on one hand for having favourites and freezing people out while also on the other for having a bingo machine. That's not to say I think his selections have always been wise, and yesterday's sickened me. But let's just say he certainly hasn't sat on his hands.

However, yesterday, he reverted to almost caricaturable type by going safety-first against a team who've been pummelled from pillar to post all season. And what's worse is that it wasn't just the wrong decision tactically: it was the wrong ethos, one which will only serve to isolate him from the supporters. The BN"s fan-writer Alan Houghton sums it up:

"It was the most spineless, gutless and clueless performance it has been my misfortune to witness. Where was the passion? Where was the commitment? Where was the spirit? Only one team wanted this match and they were in yellow (...) We can accept results, whatever they are, if we feel the team have given their all. We expected the team to have a go and we ended up losing this match with hardly a whimper."

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... nderers_0/

As the bloke at the beginning of the post shows, "going for it" isn't always the answer. But fans will much more easily accept a defeat with spirit and attacking intent than a meek inglorious surrender. Parky needs to note that next week against a Forest side who won't be easy to break down: they've just recorded their 6th and 7th clean sheets in 19 league games under Karanka, during which they've failed to score themselves 13 times. That's their business; Ken's business plan presumably relies on us staying up – and it'll be interesting to hear the tone of his next column.
Careful now yourself. I certainly wasn't suggesting a Coyle clone. The smallish number of examples who have done the job in the way that I would like have been and remain pragmatists (or maybe tough-minded is a better description). They have progressed up the divisions by sticking to certain principles. Currently Dyche and Howe are in that mould as would be Rioch in the past, perhaps Allardyce. I would have said Steve Clarke in the past but he has had varied successes and failures and is now in Scotland. They don't have to be liked but they put a fighting spirit into their teams. Just don't expect instant results but a steady improvement in attitude and results. The extremely difficult task faced by Anderson is to find one of these rough diamonds and house-train him.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:16 pm

If he stays we will be getting a 6ft odd striker. 2 holding midfielders and both Beevers and Wheater/Dervite will be signed on regardless of the league we are in.

Take a look at the U23s for inspiration on how to win games. The attacking in the game against Ipswich was a breath of fresh air. That team is unlucky when it loses. Not lucky when it wins. His reasoning for not including Connor Hall is that he's too similar to ALF, yet doesn't include him on the bench should ALF get injured?!?

The man is fast running out of excuses. He was more disappointed about the way we conceded the goals yesterday rather than the fact we created not one shot on target.

You put out a team that has to defend then chances are there are going to be more mistakes at the back than at the front.

Add into the fact you put in a player that has not played in a while then you're asking for trouble.

You're in the results game Mr PP and I'm afraid your CV shall now include this season which on the whole has been poor.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:20 pm

Charsley didn't neccesarily look the answer against Brentford, but it was hardly a Djibril Diawara debut either. Never been seen since.

Similarly, Walker didn't appear to be a massive difference maker, but he's only played five games (and two of those were very late cameos).

Those two, Clough, Obasi. Presumably someone in the not too distant past looked at these players and thought they could offer something, so it's odd they haven't been given a chance while we sink without trace. Conor Hall too.

Again, you have to ask the question of who is signing the players and are they on the same wavelength as the manager.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:23 pm

It feels the conversation is premature until after next weekend, but if we could get Mick McCarthy to take the job, then I would certainly offer to help out with transportation logistics to make it happen regardless.

Otherwise it is a difficult situation, particularly in L1. I would be against appointing anyone inexperienced. This club is still on its knees, and we need a tough, experienced manager who can grind through a season with lots of troubles behind the scenes and little money, whilst getting players to perform to the best of their abilities. Those managers are few and far between...

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:32 pm

Chris Coleman has just entered the market.

Sunderland now up for sale too.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:19 pm

Clough! Parkinson, Clough?. [oh never mind, you don't listen anyway].
I've just cast about for odds on whether Mr Phil Parkinson will still be a Football League (one of the 92) manager at the start of the 2019/20 season. The big boys won't commit, but I've got an independent bookmaker to take the bet on at 25-1. I've put £400 on, I'm that certain.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:21 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:19 pm
Clough! Parkinson, Clough?. [oh never mind, you don't listen anyway].
I've just cast about for odds on whether Mr Phil Parkinson will still be a Football League (one of the 92) manager at the start of the 2019/20 season. The big boys won't commit, but I've got an independent bookmaker to take the bet on at 25-1. I've put £400 on, I'm that certain.
I feel another bitcoin disaster coming on! :D

Re: Little. I find the wing back thing very odd. When he arrived he was a solid full back, far better than Darby but offered us nowt going forward. I can remember him being replaced by Morais at the Den and suddenly we has attacking options.

His game though improved with game time and prior to QPR he was being touted as a potential player of the year. Wtf has happened since?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:19 pm

If/when we go down, we're going down with a miles better side then we did last time.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:19 pm
If/when we go down, we're going down with a miles better side then we did last time.
Not sure I agree. Either way, we have 9 players contracted for next season.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Shortest dwarf competition territory there Pru.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:21 pm

Come what may, whatever league we're in and whoever is in charge, they should have the lot of them in a boot camp with the S.A.S before the season starts. Fitness and staying power are paramount. Our under 21s' could probably run the legs off the first XI without trying. Football's becoming more and more a young man's game and it'll get fiercer rather than easier. Ability to go at it for ninety minutes is a priority. Get em up and down Winter Hill with haversacks of Seddon's finest from June 1st onwards.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:38 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:23 pm
It feels the conversation is premature until after next weekend, but if we could get Mick McCarthy to take the job, then I would certainly offer to help out with transportation logistics to make it happen regardless.

Otherwise it is a difficult situation, particularly in L1. I would be against appointing anyone inexperienced. This club is still on its knees, and we need a tough, experienced manager who can grind through a season with lots of troubles behind the scenes and little money, whilst getting players to perform to the best of their abilities. Those managers are few and far between...

I like Mick, but surely we're due someone a bit more exciting?

I just don't want to believe that the only way we can win football matches is grinding out single goal wins. Certainly not in the third tier.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:29 am

Prufrock wrote:
Are we? Not in my book. Not by a long chalk. Hardly anyone on the books either.

Administration next season is what I can see.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:30 am

Tombwfc wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:38 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:23 pm

I like Mick, but surely we're due someone a bit more exciting?

I just don't want to believe that the only way we can win football matches is grinding out single goal wins. Certainly not in the third tier.
Those managers who you might go for, with more ambition, aren't the sort to manage the club through a crisis few years.

The likes of Wilder are smart enough not to come to us when we're in a state.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:29 am
Prufrock wrote:

Well I haven't seen Oscar Threlkeld, Niall Maher or Tom Walker turning out for a start. And whilst our keeper is a bit shit for the Champo he does at least have working depth perception.

Was chatting about this with Verbal at the pub last night, expectations in football are weird. You can over achieve for a spell and then get f*cked because you can't maintain it.

When we were bottom with 2 points most people backed Parky and said going down at least in a battle would be a passable job. Most people on Feb 1 thought we were buried. Then having looked to have kept us up, now going down feels like a failure.

I totally get it, football is an emotional game, I just don't think he's done that bad a job overall. He got a team in worse shape than this back up. I'd given him the start of next year.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:15 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:05 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Well I haven't seen Oscar Threlkeld, Niall Maher or Tom Walker turning out for a start. And whilst our keeper is a bit shit for the Champo he does at least have working depth perception.

Was chatting about this with Verbal at the pub last night, expectations in football are weird. You can over achieve for a spell and then get f*cked because you can't maintain it.

When we were bottom with 2 points most people backed Parky and said going down at least in a battle would be a passable job. Most people on Feb 1 thought we were buried. Then having looked to have kept us up, now going down feels like a failure.

I totally get it, football is an emotional game, I just don't think he's done that bad a job overall. He got a team in worse shape than this back up. I'd given him the start of next year.
No pints of ale on the table in the dressing-room at half time, of course the bloke was going to fail and find it difficult without his natural surroundings.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:32 am

Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

That's a good point. I expected nothing this season and have actually enjoyed some of the backs to the wall performances. Prior to Burton I was still in favour of keeping Parky but Saturday was the end for me. The latest capitulation in a long list of recent ones

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:37 am

I totally get that too. Much easier not to let the emotional side run away with you when you haven't paid the cash and given up your Saturday to watch a surrender like that.

As I say, I'd keep him, I'm wary of rolling the dice, but don't think he could have too many complaints if he got binned.

Funny, it's only weeks since reading binned Stam and it looked like he might be ditching us!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:57 am

Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

We're going down with 9 contracted players this time. The multi-million pound loan to BM kicks in repayments in September and as far as we know nothing is in place to pay it off. I cannot for the life of me see us coming back.

As for Parky, I broadly agree. I'm a fan of his. For me the players have let him down. But equally he got us to a point where it looked like we should survive and have now imploded. His selection at Burton was mind-numbingly stupid. The players aren't responding to him and I think keeping him would leave a negative atomosphere around the ground.

I fear for us next season in league one as Ken isn't putting money in and we lose at least 6M of income on relegation (there is the Madine fee swallowed up if it hasn't already been). We're back to living hand to mouth and then the BM loan kicks in.....good luck with all that and having a competitive league one team.

Last time we went down with Spearing, Madine, Mark Davies, re-signed Wheater, Pratley....that's a decent enough league one spine right there.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:57 am
Last time we went down with Spearing, Madine, Mark Davies, re-signed Wheater, Pratley....that's a decent enough league one spine right there.
Hang on! You were telling us all last season that the side was incapable of playing football and we couldn't out pass Chesterfield!