Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should BWFC sack Phil Parkinson?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 69

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:14 pm

This is not a rabble-rousing exercise, but an opinion poll. There's already a lot of talk that Phil Parkinson should be sacked, so let's separate the signal from the noise with a very simple yes/no question: do you think that he has to go?

Note: It says here that the voting mechanism allows members to change their vote. So this can be a snapshot of public opinion after every result, good or bad; you can change your mind as often as you like, but presumably Ken only gets to do it once.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Post by twilight » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Sorry..I voted yes. We know all our problems off the pitch, no money, transfer embargo etc etc BUT, we could at least try and be a compact unit, make it difficult for the opposition to get down our half of the pitch. We are just an absolute shambles in midfield and toothless up front, and it ends with Parkinson I'm afraid, its a result business and we need investment and at least need to look competitive on the pitch

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Voted no. If we've got the money to pot him, I'd rather spend it on bringing a couple of players and let him try again with Ameobi fit. For me, that represents our only chance of staying up.

Definitely time to start showing some signs of life though. No wins in the next three and there simply isn't a decision to be made.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:53 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:47 pm
Voted no. If we've got the money to pot him, I'd rather spend it on bringing a couple of players and let him try again with Ameobi fit. For me, that represents our only chance of staying up.

Definitely time to start showing some signs of life though. No wins in the next three and there simply isn't a decision to be made.
Pretty much where I'm at, Tom - or as you put it on the match thread, "I don't want to sack Parky, but nobody can have infinite job security if their team loses to nil every week. If we're not at least four points better off after the Barnsley game, we're staring down the barrel of a historically bad season, and he'll have to go." The question then comes down to money: not just sacking him (and Parkin and Allamby and Barrass and Butler and...) but also bankrolling the new bloke, who'd inherit a 95% Parky squad (with the other 5% being Pratley, surely off next summer, and Amos, surely still unaffordable and thus unavailable).

Oh and that's if there's anyone better, available, and willing to jump on board our sinking ship.

It's really bad luck that Ameobi and Vela have been unfit but we need to start looking a lot more solid. I expected a lot of 0-0s and 0-1s, but not quite so many clear losses and so much utter toothlessness.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:10 pm

No. We need some better players. If there was a realistic chance of spending some money and improving the squad it might be different. You might say change it and let the new man bring some of his own in.

As it is I think he's a good manager in an impossible situation.

The one major error of judgement right now for me is thinking that Cullen and Karacan and Morais should ever be a midfield in this league. And stating we don't need Spearing. We have nobody with any physical presence in midfield. If Parky thinks that isn't an issue I'm worried.

However, for me I'd give him two years. Because I can't see Ken pulling a rabbit out of the hat here.

If Allardyce was prepared to spurn the millions on offer in the jungle and come here for the next 8 months that might be different...beyond that I can't really see who would fix this.

And I think Parky is a good manager and likelihood is we won't improve on him. Probably end up mid table in league one with failure after failure in charge.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:33 pm

People were talking about writing this season off and PP doing wonders again in League One next season, or a new owner coming in and deciding what he/she wants to do (if KA is selling). That seems reasonable to me with what seems to be happening with the club at the moment.

With the results/performances this season I'm not sure a couple more games will make any difference. Having said that, if you "no" people are saying things will be different after Barnsley there should be a third option that reflects that so that things don't appear too rosy. Even TD left the match thread early so things cannot be rosy at all.

I have no opinion but it's embarrassing FWIW.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:33 pm
Having said that, if you "no" people are saying things will be different after Barnsley there should be a third option that reflects that so that things don't appear too rosy.
Nah mate. Yes/no, in/out. The majority of respondents might be in "must do better" mode, but this isn't a poll for fence-sitters or bargain-makers. :wink:

All respondents can change their mind; might be interesting to take a snapshot before each new game.

elhadj
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by elhadj » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:55 pm

I voted yes because I don't think Phil Parkinson will change his tactic or team selection or formation.
We can't score goals we can't defend our goal I know that type of player is a big difference but you can't put at least organise team and try to convince the fans that the problem is not from you from thwe type of player but it is difficult to not blame Parkinson on this mess because he put the team and he is selected he player who will play if you are not convinced with your player give a chance to young player or try and bring Kevin Nolan back from notts county I'm sure he will do better than all of player we have .

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Whether there is a manager available who is capable of keeping us up I don't know. I would imagine that there is, somewhere, but the degree of difficulty in finding him would be high.

What I'm sure of, is that there are managers I'd back to have us challenging in League One. So what would we have to lose by getting rid of Parky, should things continue the way they are?

Suggesting everyone just accept it and wait for next year, 9 games into a season, is unacceptable and an insult to the people who pay to watch this shit. You have to try, whether that be changing the players, or changing the manager.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:05 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:55 pm
Whether there is a manager available who is capable of keeping us up I don't know. I would imagine that there is, somewhere, but the degree of difficulty in finding him would be high.

What I'm sure of, is that there are managers I'd back to have us challenging in League One. So what would we have to lose by getting rid of Parky, should things continue the way they are?

Suggesting everyone just accept it and wait for next year, 9 games into a season, is unacceptable and an insult to the people who pay to watch this shit. You have to try, whether that be changing the players, or changing the manager.
Ken can do what he wants. Whatever he does will cost money. As a businessman would you spend money on sacking and hiring if you think it's a lost cause without more money spent on players? Not so sure.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:19 pm

There was only one way he would end up getting potted this year; have a historically bad record breaking season.

And he is well on course.
Last edited by officer_dibble on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Should Phil Parkinson be sacked

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Circumstances beyond his control have meant that he hasn’t been able to assemble a squad of players that is good enough in my opinion, so that's why I’ve voted to stick rather than twist for now. As stated by others, though, he can’t have a free pass to lose every Saturday and he needs to find a way for us to at least compete.

If he perseveres with a back three then he’s going to lose my support pretty quickly. My guess is that he's doing so to eek out as much creativity as possible from a starting eleven that has very little and to compensate for our lack of either a proper tackler to break things up or attacking midfielder to play in what is now the gaping hole between the midfield and forward line. Whatever the reason, it's no longer working for us and is leading to some very un-Parky like defeats. So, he still has my backing, particularly as both Vela and Ameobi are out, provided he packs the centre and plays with four at the back.

What also has to be said, mind, is that no new manager is going to be able to change the fact that our centre-backs are too slow and that our central midfielders don't offer much. Or that we're going to continue to be very one dimensional, with our wingers being our only proper attacking threat.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:12 pm

Should we? Yes, we're deep into Freedman levels of desperation now.

Can we? Nope.
Businesswoman of the year.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:19 pm

Thing is we're not talking about a team fighting for third bottom
-
This team is finishing last, no shadow of a doubt. Its about not breaking records doing so. I wouldnt wast my cash if I were Anderson - 5 wins to beat from Lennons team. That wasnt paid properly.

I dunno.

I think he'll go. He sounds defeated in his post match stuff. Best thing is he got a new contract in August 😂😂😂

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:38 pm

http://www.skysports.com/football/bolto ... ord/374716

Once that first goal went against us - we were never coming back

I feel sorry for Parky - slow defenders, none existent midfield and a striker with Stevie Wonders eye for goal

Its about time Uncle Ken put his hand in his pocket and bought us some decent players
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:42 pm

To be fair to uncle ken hes put his hands in his pocket for some sh!tc*nt players...

Genuine questiom - who, if anyone, do we think is an anderson signing that parky has had forced on him?

Le Fondre is the most obvious. Karacan?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:43 pm

I voted "no" he shouldn't be sacked. I think, if he so desires (he sounded very down after the match, wouldn't surprise me if he walked), then he deserves the chance to, at the very least, to see how we do with our strongest side on the pitch i.e. Vela back, Ameobi available, Taylor available. I have no faith this squad can finish above 24th under Parky however.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:59 pm

FYI Taylor was available, bench and he started midweek.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:55 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:42 pm
To be fair to uncle ken hes put his hands in his pocket for some sh!tc*nt players...

Genuine questiom - who, if anyone, do we think is an anderson signing that parky has had forced on him?

Le Fondre is the most obvious. Karacan?
Put his hand in his pocket? Doubt it. Up until now he's invested nowt.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:15 am

It's a cautious no from me atm.
What I can't get with is the idea that we'll get relegated and somehow come back stronger. There's no evidence for this whatsoever. For me, we were lucky to get promoted out of that swamp -- hitting a lucky winning streak in the final furlong, when teams around us went into self-destruct. Didn't fancy our chances in the play-offs at all -- and like every other fan absolutely deliriously delighted we got out.
For me it's time for KA to go if anyone (he's pretty greasy and his boy's a proper tool; wideboy knobheads we can really do without imho).
I know all the stuff about 'sensible stable management' etc etc but actually f#ck that, every available resource needs to be flung in the desperate hope of keeping our club at least in this league, 'cos maybe we'll be doomed for decades otherwise. Let's have some bloody aspiration here - it's still September ffs.