Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should BWFC sack Phil Parkinson?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 69

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:38 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:51 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:45 am
Peter Thompson wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:58 am
I haven't seen one area that Parkinson has improved the side
If you mean since he arrived, "the division we play in"?
I think it was quite obvious that I meant an area of our play that he's improved....but carry on
Thanks for permission. But if you haven't seen one area Parkinson improved us in from Jimmy Phillips (and later Lennon), then there's really no point even trying to discuss it.

There's plenty that he's done wrong. There's plenty reasons to improve. There's a chance another manager might improve us, short-term and long-term. But if you can't see even "one area that Parkinson has improved the side", despite setting defensive records and getting promoted, then we're into the realms of wasted time.

Maybe we should identify a shared goal...

http://bigthink.com/videos/tali-sharot- ... ation-bias

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:35 pm

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2017/septem ... chairman5/

Sounds to me like Ken has absolutely zero intention of sacking Parky in the immediate future.

I think Parky is here for the season so we should get behind him and the team. Nowt much more than can be done.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:47 pm

I voted No under the assumption that he himself hasn't given up as his post Brentford comments would suggest. At the moment he doesn't have the material (players) to compete at this level. He is not a magician. Give him some better options.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:35 pm

Sounds to me like Ken has absolutely zero intention of sacking Parky in the immediate future.

I think Parky is here for the season so we should get behind him and the team. Nowt much more than can be done.
This. I understand those who don't like it, but it's the situation we're in. Getting on the case of the manager and players is only ever going to make matters worse. COYWM.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:02 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:35 pm

This. I understand those who don't like it, but it's the situation we're in. Getting on the case of the manager and players is only ever going to make matters worse. COYWM.
Worth remembering that these players have mostly taken pay cuts to be here. Wages of sub £10K a week. Its a far cry from being awful and seeing £25K a week players bumble around. Whilst it is hugely disappointing and frustrating I don't think many of the players don't care. Nor the manager.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:26 pm

I have to say, that is a very good statement. Well done Ken.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Plenty of managers have found themselves potted after the old vote of confidence...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:48 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:13 pm
Plenty of managers have found themselves potted after the old vote of confidence...
Not really a vote of confidence though. The way he defends Park's after match comments suggests its a bit more than that.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:48 pm

I'm no for now. BUT... He needs to at least make us look like we're trying and go back to being difficult to beat. At the moment, we're just absolute pushovers
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:49 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:48 pm
I'm no for now. BUT... He needs to at least make us look like we're trying and go back to being difficult to beat. At the moment, we're just absolute pushovers
Indeed. We may not have enough quality to win matches. But we could definitely stop making it as easy for teams.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:33 pm

So looking at it from a season ticket holder point of view, I might as well have just chucked £300 down the drain and said oh well it doesn't matter, I knew we would look awful this season??

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:14 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:40 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:26 am
You look at it, from such a one-eyed angle that its hard to really discuss it. We didn't have 4 times the wage bill of sides last season though we were more than competitive. This season we're playing teams with 15 or 20 or more times our budget. So its inevitable we'll look worse.

As for Parky's strengths - he took a team that looked destined for league 2, and breathed life into it, got it organised and stopped us conceding goals. He isn't doing that now, but I ask, hand on heart, do you think we've genuinely got a good enough group of players to stay up? I looked at Brentford, entirely dispassionately on Saturday and I don't think they'd be interested in a single one of our players. They have better players all over the pitch. This is Brentford we're talking about. They should be better given the fact they've invested money into their side. But still.

We're doing worse than I thought, but clearly we lack a midfield player who can break up play. Big miss and absolutely Parky needs to take some blame for not getting that. Equally had he signed one and not a winger (given we've been restricted on numbers) no doubt you'd have called him negative etc etc...

Fact is this season our only hope is to put 10 scrappers out. Or maybe 9 with one flair player. Because we've tried to attack teams as we did Saturday and been absolutely and utterly exposed for it.
What and you don't look at it from a one eyed angle ? I keep asking questions and you can't or don't answer

You say that we didn't have a wage bill 4 times that of the majority of League 1 clubs - I was actually being kind, it was probably more like 7 or 8 times greater than the majority of teams in League 1.

In regards to a midfield player to break up play, Parkinson obviously didn't think we needed one....he just thought we needed 4 wingers. Also putting 10 scrappers out - personally I don't think that we have any proper scrappers, never mind 10 - the side is soft as shite & shows little desire to get involved in the physical side of the game, we don't even have any leaders on the pitch (another thing that Parkinson didn't see).

Your summation of Parkinson's strengths as a manager is that he breathes life in to it and got team organised in League 1....and for that he deserves to keep his job, made me laugh

I'll leave it at that for now, until our next shambolic capitulation....
Paragraph in bold - so how will a new manager change that? We don't even know if we can sign players (and we definitely can't till January).

You make a big play (overstating our financial advantage last season) but don't acknowledge that we are now in a league where every single team has a bigger wage budget and has spent more money on players than we have. Many not just by a bit but by orders of magnitude greater than 10 times. You can't have it both ways. Either our financial competitiveness is a major factor or it isn't. If it isn't then Parky did an amazing job last season given you think this squad is soft as shite and shows little desire....
But you could go round in a circle with that. If the size of your wage bill is the be all and end all, actually Parky didn't do all that well last year and any old c*nt would be able to keep us competitive next year. We lost 1-0 to a ten man Oldham team last year, how many multiples of their wage bill were our lot on?

The truth is obviously somewhere in between. Us having a much higher than average wage bill last year doesn't take the away the credit he deserves for winning lots of games, and the fact we now have a much lower than average wage bill doesn't take away the criticism he deserves for winning none of them.

Though I'm fascinated to know how you've decided we're playing clubs with 15-20 times our wage budget. Which of the players we've played so far are on 90k a week?

Remember, nobody is demanding for his head because we aren't half way up the league, or even because we're probably going to go down. They just want us to not lose to nil every single week. The bar couldn't be lower.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:15 am

Some folk seem to be conflating wage bill with quality without adding Coyle, Freedman and Lennon to the equation. Paying Amos 16k a week didn't make him better than Johnny Goalkeeper earning 4k a week at Football United in L1. Or Pratley, Mavies et al et al...

The only relevant questions are...

Is Parky getting the most out of what he has to work with?

Can we realistically replace Parky with someone that will get sufficiently more out of the squad to justify the cost?

I'd say he should be getting more out of them, but I'm not sure who we could get that would get enough extra out of the available players to make it worthwhile. Parky provided some much needed stability and whilst it's not going well at the moment we can't afford to go back to the instability of the last few years. Give the fella some time and see if Henry, Vela and Ameobi will give us what we need to start competing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:51 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:15 am
Some folk seem to be conflating wage bill with quality without adding Coyle, Freedman and Lennon to the equation. Paying Amos 16k a week didn't make him better than Johnny Goalkeeper earning 4k a week at Football United in L1. Or Pratley, Mavies et al et al...

Can we realistically replace Parky with someone that will get sufficiently more out of the squad to justify the cost?

I'd say he should be getting more out of them, but I'm not sure who we could get that would get enough extra out of the available players to make it worthwhile. Parky provided some much needed stability and whilst it's not going well at the moment we can't afford to go back to the instability of the last few years. Give the fella some time and see if Henry, Vela and Ameobi will give us what we need to start competing.
There is a relatively decent correlation between wages paid and league position. Clearly there are always examples to show as outliers. But generally, statistically speaking it is a relatively decent correlation.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:25 am

Think it's worth taking a snapshot on the morning of matches, considering they'll tend to have an effect on Parky's popularity, positive or negative. As of now, 73% of respondents think BWFC should not sack Parkinson.

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 09.19.17.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 09.19.17.png (15.84 KiB) Viewed 2029 times

That percentage has risen a little since Sunday, when it was in the 60s. I genuinely hope that number continues to rise, not because I want to win an argument (I completely understand people's reasons for wanting change), but because I want our team to win games.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:51 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

There is a relatively decent correlation between wages paid and league position. Clearly there are always examples to show as outliers. But generally, statistically speaking it is a relatively decent correlation.

Taken over a large number of games, I'm sure there is a correlation. That's why nobody expects us to be challenging at the top of the league at the end of the season.

What it doesn't mean though, is that the team with the higher wage budget will win every individual game (or in our case, lose it). Otherwise we'd all head down to BetFred on a Saturday morning armed with a load of balance sheets and make a fortune.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:51 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Taken over a large number of games, I'm sure there is a correlation. That's why nobody expects us to be challenging at the top of the league at the end of the season.

What it doesn't mean though, is that the team with the higher wage budget will win every individual game (or in our case, lose it). Otherwise we'd all head down to BetFred on a Saturday morning armed with a load of balance sheets and make a fortune.
I'm aware of that. And when we've played a statistically relevant number of games at this level I'm sure things will balance out roughly where you'd expect.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:03 pm
Tombwfc wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:51 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I'm aware of that. And when we've played a statistically relevant number of games at this level I'm sure things will balance out roughly where you'd expect.
statistically, we are currently pushing up daisy's in the championship! that's all that matters.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:44 pm

After last night's result, the numbers have changed. From 11 v 30 (sack v keep), it's now 11 v 31, so someone new has voted to give him more time. Maybe we're caught in a weird timewarp now and the more he loses, the more support he gets. But maybe not.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:04 pm

I’m still backing Parky, but mostly for sentimental reasons. We now need about 48 pts from 36 games (ie 12 wins, 12 draws, 12 defeats) to stay up and that ain’t happening under any manager.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!