Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should BWFC sack Phil Parkinson?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 69

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:32 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:27 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:57 am
Last time we went down with Spearing, Madine, Mark Davies, re-signed Wheater, Pratley....that's a decent enough league one spine right there.
Hang on! You were telling us all last season that the side was incapable of playing football and we couldn't out pass Chesterfield!
We didn't have the players to play a short passing game. We still don't. But that isn't the point. The spine of the team was stronger potentially than what we'll go down with under contract this time round.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:45 pm

Rubbish! Mark Davies played about 3 games. The rest of them were all equally part of the spine of a team that went down with about 7 points. Far worse than this lot. They were the spine of a decent league one side because the gulf is huge (see ourselves, Wigan and Blackburn yo-yoing).

Spearing is hardly ripping up trees down there. Darren isn't getting a better offer (and hopefully not one at all from us).

Wheater we have an option on, Beevers won't get many better offers, Taylor will still be here, as will Little. That's a back four better than the one we came up with. Think we'll keep Alnwick but even if not, one-eyed Ben is part of a team that is 4th.

Finally, finally Darren will be gone, as will fecking Derik. Noone and Buckley will be decent down there. As will Morais. We need a striker and a couple of midfielders. Much less than we did last time, when we needed a whole team, three times.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:45 pm
Think we'll keep Alnwick but even if not, one-eyed Ben is part of a team that is 4th.
Genuine LOL at that, cheers Pru (and for the optimism about next season).

Decent journeymen plus perhaps promoted youngsters - might just be fun next season. Might not, of course, but if that risk put us off we'd have given up years ago.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:45 pm
Rubbish! Mark Davies played about 3 games. The rest of them were all equally part of the spine of a team that went down with about 7 points. Far worse than this lot. They were the spine of a decent league one side because the gulf is huge (see ourselves, Wigan and Blackburn yo-yoing).

Spearing is hardly ripping up trees down there. Darren isn't getting a better offer (and hopefully not one at all from us).

Wheater we have an option on, Beevers won't get many better offers, Taylor will still be here, as will Little. That's a back four better than the one we came up with. Think we'll keep Alnwick but even if not, one-eyed Ben is part of a team that is 4th.

Finally, finally Darren will be gone, as will fecking Derik. Noone and Buckley will be decent down there. As will Morais. We need a striker and a couple of midfielders. Much less than we did last time, when we needed a whole team, three times.
I totally agree, we will have a decent side next season in League 1 - with the addition of a couple of decent younger box to box midfielders & a pacy striker - Little, ALF, Noone & Buckley will still be here, Morais is probably the only player who has half a chance of being offered a new contract, and possibly Wheater but Wheater would need a quick CB at the side of him not Beevers, we could also even get Robinson back on loan next season

We should not be renewing the contracts of Pratley, Derik, Henry, Dervite, Wilbraham, C Taylor, Karacan etc....I'm not sure about Beevers (he's been awful this season) it wouldn't bother me if he went, and I'm not to fussed about Mr 1 decent game in 8 Ameobi

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:58 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:55 pm
I totally agree, we will have a decent side next season in League 1
Would you go so far as to say, like last time, that any manager would get us promoted except Peter Reid, who'd get us relegated? :P

(I think I might be reaching "Acceptance"... :D )

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:53 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:49 pm
They've not been fantastic together this season granted, but I'd say that Wheater/Beevers have proven last term that they can form a fantastic defensive (and offensive) partnership at league 1 level. None of us wanted Beevers gone last summer when Millwall came a-knockin.
As a defensive partnership Wheavers are fine, if not exactly fast across the grass. What they shouldn't be is the side's creative hub. If they can win it and give it to someone who can pass, we'll have a lot of possession in the third tier.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:56 pm

WE ARE NOT GOING DOWN!
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:33 pm

Re contracts and who'll be with us next season... Don't forget we'll also have Harry Charlsey, whose Lucan-esque disappearance was so instant and profound that both us and Everton will completely forget he's actually due back at Goodison in June.

By the time the kit man finds him in an old box full of Spin&Win shirts, we may as well hold on to him and see how he does against Fleetwood in the opening game.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:00 pm

SKD's just been sacked by Southport. He's another who wouldn't do any worse.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:56 pm
WE ARE NOT GOING DOWN!
... :shock:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:00 pm
I'd go for that Bruce. A battler and loved Bolton and for him, defence is opposition not a game plan. . Now't to lose.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:34 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I'd go for that Bruce. A battler and loved Bolton and for him, defence is opposition not a game plan. . Now't to lose.
I'd welcome him back.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Come the final whistle on Sunday and that will be it for Parky. Whether we remain or drop he's going.

I'm sure there will be no shortage of applicants for the position and Ken won't select a complete novice as Gartside did.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Living in Southport, as I do, I can assure fellow bwfc ers that SKD has not exactly covered himself in managerial glory. Many sandgrounders are amazed he has lasted so long.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

antony.thompson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by antony.thompson » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:53 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:45 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:34 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I'd welcome him back.
He's just been sacked. By Southport. Of the Vanarama National League North.

If he's to be welcomed back then it is more likely to be as our new centre forward than manager.

:D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:54 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:42 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Living in Southport, as I do, I can assure fellow bwfc ers that SKD has not exactly covered himself in managerial glory. Many sandgrounders are amazed he has lasted so long.
Surprised to hear that. I read that feature on him on the beeb a few weeks back and he'd just gone several games unbeaten after a bad start.

Id still be happy to see him given a crack
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:01 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:54 pm
knobpolisher wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:42 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Surprised to hear that. I read that feature on him on the beeb a few weeks back and he'd just gone several games unbeaten after a bad start.

Id still be happy to see him given a crack
He has been the PP of the coast ! Lost a load at the start then a run of victories took off the pressure then another series of losses, just enough to avoid relegation. Let's hope that's an omen for us,
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:32 pm

With a shit team we would be mid table if Madine wasn't sold. Parky has pissed me off recently but dispassionately i don't think anyone can blame him for our situation. Some bad decisions, unbelievable hoof it to a midget tactics, etc., but I think if we were down by January we would have just blamed the lack of funds which is the main reason in what has done us. Selling madine and blaming parky is like pushing a cyclist of his bike and saying he's shit for not winning the race.

I think parky only knows how to play a certain style, he's got one trick, he's good at it, and it works but without a target man he's completely lost he has no idea what to do about it. He should have made sure we had a backup, given the importance of the roll, but he didn't, so we're fecked.

So I vote keep, unless the unlikely scenario we're promoting the u23s in which case we need someone completely different.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 01, 2018 8:35 am

Spartan2 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:32 pm
With a shit team we would be mid table if Madine wasn't sold. Parky has pissed me off recently but dispassionately i don't think anyone can blame him for our situation. Some bad decisions, unbelievable hoof it to a midget tactics, etc., but I think if we were down by January we would have just blamed the lack of funds which is the main reason in what has done us. Selling madine and blaming parky is like pushing a cyclist of his bike and saying he's shit for not winning the race.

I think parky only knows how to play a certain style, he's got one trick, he's good at it, and it works but without a target man he's completely lost he has no idea what to do about it. He should have made sure we had a backup, given the importance of the roll, but he didn't, so we're fecked.

So I vote keep, unless the unlikely scenario we're promoting the u23s in which case we need someone completely different.
Again, not Parky's fault. Ken decided to sell Madine at the last minute when replacements were sought, but unlikely to realistically be added.

Ken's attempt to run the club with zero investment and asset stripping our better players has backfired. He'll try and blame someone, anyone, but himself. But you can't run a football club on thin air. Millwall, oft cited, have an owner who in recent years has invested £62M. On the other hand, we, have sold £11M worth of players since Ken arrived, and not spent a single penny on transfer fees. Alongside that Ken has to our knowledge invest 1 single pound in the club on a permanent basis. And taken a £265K salary for this year.

I'm not having that you can expect to see any progress with that sort of financial outlook in a league where on one player Wolves have spent more than we have in 8 or 9 seasons total.

Next season in league one we have to build a team (with a manager) capable of winning promotion and staying up. No chance that will happen under Ken.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 01, 2018 10:10 am

Kevin Davies at Southport: You might call him "streaky".
Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 10.10.13.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 10.10.13.png (154.65 KiB) Viewed 2958 times