Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should BWFC sack Phil Parkinson?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 69

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 01, 2018 10:57 am

He is not the Kevin we're looking for.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 01, 2018 11:03 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:10 am
Kevin Davies at Southport: You might call him "streaky".

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 10.10.13.png
I'd just call him shit. He never seemed like managerial material to me. Nice bloke and all. But hardly the brightest bulb in the box.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Tue May 01, 2018 1:42 pm

DSB - "(I think I might be reaching "Acceptance"... :D )"
Think I'm edging that way now too (after a couple of days getting over meself:)
For me PP should have been sacked at 2.01pm last Sat. F#@cked it and us - royally.
Think though, there's some serious self-deception going on here regarding the quality and commitment of our current squad.
Perhaps my own delusion but I honestly can see, after a shaky start while they get up to speed, the possible blooming of an opportunity for genuine rebirth of our club here - play the goddamn kids and be done with these barstewards who have frankly disgraced us and should be binned off en-masse & pronto - ah bollox, the bile's rising again (back to mi box)... See y'all in a few days ("nurse, NURSE!!")

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 01, 2018 1:52 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:42 pm
DSB - "(I think I might be reaching "Acceptance"... :D )"
Think I'm edging that way now too (after a couple of days getting over meself:)
For me PP should have been sacked at 2.01pm last Sat. F#@cked it and us - royally.
Think though, there's some serious self-deception going on here regarding the quality and commitment of our current squad.
Perhaps my own delusion but I honestly can see, after a shaky start while they get up to speed, the possible blooming of an opportunity for genuine rebirth of our club here - play the goddamn kids and be done with these barstewards who have frankly disgraced us and should be binned off en-masse & pronto - ah bollox, the bile's rising again (back to mi box)... See y'all in a few days ("nurse, NURSE!!")
Not sure it will be a re-birth. But certainly get rid of all the losers and failures and start again. It might be a decade of pain either way, but rather see it with some lads who care than the journeymen who harp on about their past clubs, or simply are looking for the next deal.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:35 am
Spartan2 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:32 pm
With a shit team we would be mid table if Madine wasn't sold. Parky has pissed me off recently but dispassionately i don't think anyone can blame him for our situation. Some bad decisions, unbelievable hoof it to a midget tactics, etc., but I think if we were down by January we would have just blamed the lack of funds which is the main reason in what has done us. Selling madine and blaming parky is like pushing a cyclist of his bike and saying he's shit for not winning the race.

I think parky only knows how to play a certain style, he's got one trick, he's good at it, and it works but without a target man he's completely lost he has no idea what to do about it. He should have made sure we had a backup, given the importance of the roll, but he didn't, so we're fecked.

So I vote keep, unless the unlikely scenario we're promoting the u23s in which case we need someone completely different.
Again, not Parky's fault. Ken decided to sell Madine at the last minute when replacements were sought, but unlikely to realistically be added.

Ken's attempt to run the club with zero investment and asset stripping our better players has backfired. He'll try and blame someone, anyone, but himself. But you can't run a football club on thin air. Millwall, oft cited, have an owner who in recent years has invested £62M. On the other hand, we, have sold £11M worth of players since Ken arrived, and not spent a single penny on transfer fees. Alongside that Ken has to our knowledge invest 1 single pound in the club on a permanent basis. And taken a £265K salary for this year.

I'm not having that you can expect to see any progress with that sort of financial outlook in a league where on one player Wolves have spent more than we have in 8 or 9 seasons total.

Next season in league one we have to build a team (with a manager) capable of winning promotion and staying up. No chance that will happen under Ken.
I meant get a backup last summer, Madine could have just as easily been injured as sold. Teams generally don't go with one keeper. I know it's not as easy as just saying it, but anyway, I think we broadly agree?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 01, 2018 2:03 pm

Cash and embargo though I think. We ended up with Wilbraham. Now he's shite, bit I don't know how much of that was PP's priorities being elsewhere ace how much was literally there was no cash. Not like he didn't identify it at all though.

As for play the kids and we're doomed anyway. It's what everyone said last year. Most of them have proven not to be good enough and we did get back up. Great opportunity to clear some deadwood, even more so than last time (bye bye Darren!!) but let's not get carried away. Surely King and Hall have to get a chance though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 01, 2018 2:22 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:58 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:35 am
Spartan2 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:32 pm
With a shit team we would be mid table if Madine wasn't sold. Parky has pissed me off recently but dispassionately i don't think anyone can blame him for our situation. Some bad decisions, unbelievable hoof it to a midget tactics, etc., but I think if we were down by January we would have just blamed the lack of funds which is the main reason in what has done us. Selling madine and blaming parky is like pushing a cyclist of his bike and saying he's shit for not winning the race.

I think parky only knows how to play a certain style, he's got one trick, he's good at it, and it works but without a target man he's completely lost he has no idea what to do about it. He should have made sure we had a backup, given the importance of the roll, but he didn't, so we're fecked.

So I vote keep, unless the unlikely scenario we're promoting the u23s in which case we need someone completely different.
Again, not Parky's fault. Ken decided to sell Madine at the last minute when replacements were sought, but unlikely to realistically be added.

Ken's attempt to run the club with zero investment and asset stripping our better players has backfired. He'll try and blame someone, anyone, but himself. But you can't run a football club on thin air. Millwall, oft cited, have an owner who in recent years has invested £62M. On the other hand, we, have sold £11M worth of players since Ken arrived, and not spent a single penny on transfer fees. Alongside that Ken has to our knowledge invest 1 single pound in the club on a permanent basis. And taken a £265K salary for this year.

I'm not having that you can expect to see any progress with that sort of financial outlook in a league where on one player Wolves have spent more than we have in 8 or 9 seasons total.

Next season in league one we have to build a team (with a manager) capable of winning promotion and staying up. No chance that will happen under Ken.
I meant get a backup last summer, Madine could have just as easily been injured as sold. Teams generally don't go with one keeper. I know it's not as easy as just saying it, but anyway, I think we broadly agree?
I think the issue being in the summer we were in embargo and had a wage cap imposed of £4500 a week. Which in this league doesn't even represent peanuts, so you don't even get monkeys.

You get Wilbraham's!

It was always a glaring problem. In hindsight all resources in January should have gone to signing a proper Madine backup (that would have become a replacement) in week 1. Instead of wasting money on Charsley, Flanagan, Clough etc who all offered nothing useful. However, probably any striker who'd have been useful would have been well beyond our means even then.

As an aside less than a week before the window closed Parky was sure Madine would still be here. I know that for a fact. So whatever happened in the next couple of days it certainly wasn't as simple as Madine demanding a move and Ken having no choice in the matter.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue May 01, 2018 2:33 pm

antony.thompson wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:53 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:45 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:34 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:00 pm
SKD's just been sacked by Southport. He's another who wouldn't do any worse.
I'd go for that Bruce. A battler and loved Bolton and for him, defence is opposition not a game plan. . Now't to lose.
I'd welcome him back.
He's just been sacked. By Southport. Of the Vanarama National League North.

If he's to be welcomed back then it is more likely to be as our new centre forward than manager.

:D
That's what I meant... :lol:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 01, 2018 2:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:03 am

I'd just call him shit. He never seemed like managerial material to me. Nice bloke and all. But hardly the brightest bulb in the box
Bit hypoctritical from someone always preaching against isms...? The two Kevs have/had something folk on here are always claiming we lack: energy and fight. Matter of fact I can't think of any pair going back many years who fought harder in a White shirt than Kevin Nolan and Kevin Davies. I'd have both back to lead us.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 01, 2018 2:57 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:03 am

I'd just call him shit. He never seemed like managerial material to me. Nice bloke and all. But hardly the brightest bulb in the box
Bit hypoctritical from someone always preaching against isms...? The two Kevs have/had something folk on here are always claiming we lack: energy and fight. Matter of fact I can't think of any pair going back many years who fought harder in a White shirt than Kevin Nolan and Kevin Davies. I'd have both back to lead us.
Being a good player or whatever, doesn't mean you make a good manager. I want someone with the requisite skills. Not someone just because they once played for us. We've been there and done that.

Kevin Nolan is a bright lad, and seems to be doing well at Notts County. He has something about him.

Davies is a nice bloke, but he's got no charisma and always to me seems a bit dead behind the eyes. I don't think he's all that bright, or special or anything I'd look for in a manager personally.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 01, 2018 10:49 pm

A bit harsh to dismiss him as shit after one failed attempt at a non league club. Plenty of managers do great on their first appointment and then are terrible everywhere else (hello Owen) & plenty start off dubiously but if lucky enough to get a 2nd chance go on to do well.

He's been linked with the Chesterfield job. Good luck to him. I'd still be happy for him to take over here on the understanding he builds an attacking side with a core of youngsters
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 02, 2018 8:46 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:49 pm
A bit harsh to dismiss him as shit after one failed attempt at a non league club. Plenty of managers do great on their first appointment and then are terrible everywhere else (hello Owen) & plenty start off dubiously but if lucky enough to get a 2nd chance go on to do well.

He's been linked with the Chesterfield job. Good luck to him. I'd still be happy for him to take over here on the understanding he builds an attacking side with a core of youngsters
I' m dismissing him on the basis there is absolutely no evidence he has any of the requisite skills or knowledge to do the job. Added to that he seems dull, has no detectable charisma and his first job ended in failure.

If he meets the criteria for a BWFC manager then so do thousands and thousands of others.

Kevin Nolan on the other hand, is proving himself and has always shown leadership skills even from when he was here.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 02, 2018 11:23 am

I wish Nobby luck. He could be a good gaffer and his team are in the play-offs. But he's managed 90 games, all in the bottom tier. Would anyone on this board even consider him if he hadn't played for Bolton? So did Owen Coyle.

As for SKD, I love the bloke and find BWFCi's description a little harsh: those I know who've interviewed him find him a warm, intelligent fella who clearly isn't shy of hard work. But he's not a Bolton managerial candidate by miles (or rather years of hard-won experience). With the club facing a relegation and an uncertain financial future, last thing we need is to take a chance on a wet-eared greenhorn just because he played for us. By all means hire these types to Academy roles, the better to watch and nurture them – but to make Davies, Nolan or even Didsy Lee the manager this summer would be a mahoosive risk just when we don't need one.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 02, 2018 11:33 am

Wed May 02, 2018 11:23 am
I wish Nobby luck. He could be a good gaffer and his team are in the play-offs. But he's managed 90 games, all in the bottom tier. Would anyone on this board even consider him if he hadn't played for Bolton? So did Owen Coyle.

As for SKD, I love the bloke and find BWFCi's description a little harsh: those I know who've interviewed him find him a warm, intelligent fella who clearly isn't shy of hard work. But he's not a Bolton managerial candidate by miles (or rather years of hard-won experience). With the club facing a relegation and an uncertain financial future, last thing we need is to take a chance on a wet-eared greenhorn just because he played for us. By all means hire these types to Academy roles, the better to watch and nurture them – but to make Davies, Nolan or even Didsy Lee the manager this summer would be a mahoosive risk just when we don't need one.
I agree with all that. You've probably met them both, if you were forced, based on their personality and a gut feeling, our of KN and KD which would you appoint?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 02, 2018 11:39 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:33 am
Wed May 02, 2018 11:23 am

I agree with all that. You've probably met them both, if you were forced, based on their personality and a gut feeling, our of KN and KD which would you appoint?
I haven't, as it goes, mate. If I had to, I'd appoint Nolan – but I'd much rather appoint somebody who'd managed in at least the third tier. As I say, if Nobby hadn't played here he wouldn't get considered, and it seems a curious way to pick a manager.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 02, 2018 1:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:46 am

I' m dismissing him on the basis there is absolutely no evidence he has any of the requisite skills or knowledge to do the job. Added to that he seems dull, has no detectable charisma and his first job ended in failure.
You are Jane Austen and I claim my signed copy of Pride and Prejudice... :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 02, 2018 2:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

What makes Kevin Davies qualified to manage us?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 02, 2018 2:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:05 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Possibly the fact that we're in danger of relagation with one game left and can't afford Jose Maurinho? . How bad does it have to be? (I did say elsewhere that I'd be happy with Kevin Nolan manager with K.D as assistant)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 02, 2018 2:30 pm

Perhaps interestingly, like Mourinho, Nolan's actual assistant has barely any "proper" footballing experience.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/fo ... mas-753635

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 02, 2018 2:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:05 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Possibly the fact that we're in danger of relagation with one game left and can't afford Jose Maurinho? . How bad does it have to be? (I did say elsewhere that I'd be happy with Kevin Nolan manager with K.D as assistant)
There are a LOT of picks in between Kevin Davies and Mourinho. You're not justifying why you'd appoint Davies over someone with actual experience who has demonstrated an ability to do the job successfully. We have absolutely no idea if KD has any of the skills or qualities needed. It doesn't make any sense to appoint him over a whole host of people with more experience. And like I say, KD isn't exactly the most eloquent or charismatic bloke. See what happened when Valencia appointed Gary Neville because he talked sense and had a personality....being a manager takes a very special and rare set of skills. Plucking a player out because he once played for us and took the knocks for us up front is about as ludicrous a way to appoint as you can imagine.

EVEN if you restrict yourself to former BWFC players there are people with vastly more managerial experience out there who no doubt would be interested.

Edit: And if your criteria for a manager is so low, we could just go and pick from a whole host of non league managers who've been more successful than Davies. In fact we could just get one who has failed, because that would be the same....