Stats and stuff

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Stats and stuff

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:15 pm
How soon after their pay day is missed, can a player terminate his contract and walk?

Which senior players are still under contract next season?
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:25 pm
Thankfully Ozthumer signed a two year deal 😂

I think Ameobi has another year, Murphy, Olmowski and perhaps Hobbs....I reckon most of the others are up in the summer.
Haven't updated the contract expiry thread since the other side of the winter window but these lads are under until 2020:
Ben Alnwick
Remi Matthews
Pawel Olkowski
Jason Lowe
Luke Murphy
Erhun Oztumer
Sammy Ameobi
Josh Magennis
Yoan Zouma (pro, 06/05/98, centre-back)
Connor Hall (pro, 18/02/98, striker)

Iles said this afternoon that it's two weeks unpaid before they can legally leave. I'm genuinely not sure whether they'd then be allowed to sign for another team before summer; yes, they'd be free agents, but they'd have left that last window under our contract. I guess Morais did something similar except that Bradford weren't leaving him unpaid, so they might be able to sign on elsewhere, especially given the circumstances. But I doubt many would jump.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:00 pm

CONFIRMATION FROM GOD (OK, The Bristol Post.) THAT WE ARE DOOMED!
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... ds-2603718
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:20 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:00 pm
CONFIRMATION FROM GOD (OK, The Bristol Post.) THAT WE ARE DOOMED!
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... ds-2603718
All to play for in the wooden-spoon race though

I like how the relegated teams are split from the others by an advert - a fine metaphor for this division

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:01 am

Slow-motion car-crash as we slide down the league in this timelapse league table

http://hasithappened.net/home/englandth ... hip/201819

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:50 pm

It has thankfully changed now but I'm just going to pop this BBC prematch fact here:

"Bolton have scored just 22 goals in the Championship this season; the fewest by a team after 35 games of a second-tier campaign since Birmingham in 1988-89 (20 goals)."

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:15 pm

After the loss at Derby, there are four games left so I thought I'd pick the scab by seeing just how historically bad we are. As different seasons have included different numbers of games, I've set up a spreadsheet to work things out on a per-game and per-46-game-season basis. (No, YOU don't know how to relax on a rare day off.)

FEWEST POINTS
Ever? 19, in 1902/03 (from 34 games) and 1889/90 (from 22). Adjusted to three points for a win, these would splutter up to 27pts and 28pts respectively, still the worst.

Per game, the boys of 02/03 are the worst (0.558). Even if we lose all four remaining games, we'll be better than them, 1970/71, 1979/80, 1909/10, 2015/16 and 1963/64. So that's something.

FEWEST WINS
Nope. We've already had 8, and in the 2015/16 Lennon/Jiminho relegation season we only managed 5 (over 46 games =0.108 Wins Per Game). We also only managed 5 in the 79/80 top-flight relegation, but over 42 games (=0.119WPG), so those lads are barley. Also worse per-game than this season (so far) was the 1970/71 top-flight relegation (7/42=0.166WPG). Don't think I don't find it wryly amusing that we can't even win the Fewest Wins title.

MOST LOSSES
This one looks a shoo-in. We've lost 26, the same as in 2015/16, and we've still got 4 games to go. Victory of a sorts is surely ours.

However, on a per-game basis, 2015/16 was only our seventh losingest (sorry). In 1903/04 we lost 23 of 34 games, which is 0.676 losses per game, when now we're on 0.619, and even if we lose all four we'll be on 0.652 losses per game. That would be our third worst, with the 1995/96 Premier League relegation under McFarland and Todd (but mostly McFarland) the second-worst. So, this season will be somewhere from third to seventh worst ever for losses.

MOST GOALS CONCEDED
Per game, we've no chance. In 1889/90 we conceded 65 goals in 22 games, an eye-watering 2.95gpg: over a 46-game season, that would be 135, which is nearly twice as many as our puny 72. In fact, we've conceded more goals per game in 27 seasons. Keeping it (relatively) tight hasn't been the problem.

For the record, ignoring GPG, most goals conceded in a season is 92, from 42 games in 1932/33.

FEWEST GOALS SCORED
Good news, record-hunters! We're sailing this one. With 29 from 42 we're on 0.69 goals per game, way below even our bluntest previous seasons (70/71: 0.83gpg, 2017/18: 0.84gpg). In fact, in order for this not to be our bluntest per-game season ever, in our final four games we'd have to score 10, which is as many as we've scored in our last 12 games.

For the record, ignoring GPG, the fewest goals we've scored in a season is 28, in 1897/98's 30-game season, which is 0.933gpg. We're second. 1970/71 was third on 35 goals (from 42 games).

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:41 pm

So, we're shit, but have been shitter? I'll take that. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:57 pm

'Most pay days missed' must be a shoe in for this season!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:01 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:57 pm
'Most pay days missed' must be a shoe in for this season!

Only the March pay day has been missed (if you don't count the other ones). I think you'll find that in 1904, two pay day were missed. Possibly.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:11 pm

Record-chasing, post-Blackburn update:

POINTS PER GAME: Currently our 7th-worst ever season, and it can't get any worse.

WINS PER GAME: 4th-worst; can't get any worse.

LOSSES PER GAME: 3rd-worst, can't get any worse.

GOALS CONCEDED PER GAME: 28th-worst, and to top this list we'd have to concede 60 in our last two.

GOALS SCORED PER GAME: Worst-ever, and will stay so unless we score 10 in the last two games.

GOAL DIFFERENCE PER GAME: Worst! We overtook the previous worst against Villa. A -2 GD in our last two will seal this.

The fact we're only 28th-worst conceders shows how hard our bluntness has had to work to negate that (relative) imperviousness with utter ineptitude at the other end.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Not saying he was good enough for a shotshy D2 team, or even D3, but hats off to Doidge for scoring the second-most D4 goals over the past two seasons - despite spending four months with us

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:40 pm

Parkinson couldn't even organise his side to bring the best out of ALF. I'd love to have seen what Doigdge could have done for us if we had a manager who was capable of playing to his strengths. Even Anelka would have been shit under Parkinson.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:41 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:40 pm
Parkinson couldn't even organise his side to bring the best out of ALF. I'd love to have seen what Doigdge could have done for us if we had a manager who was capable of playing to his strengths. Even Anelka would have been shit under Parkinson.
He turned Madine into a 6M player....I'm unconvinced that its to do with Parky and his way of playing rather than Doidge being a decent league two striker being thrust into the championship and being out of his depth.

As for ALF - the man has been a super sub most of his career and prior to re-signing for us had two failed stints at championship clubs - again it isn't just Parky who struggled. ALF undoubtedly had a superb talent in front of goal but it was how you fit him into a team regularly because unless you're creating loads of chances he offers little else...and if we were creating loads of chances...I'd wager...even with Magennis et al up front we'd be a few places higher....

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:09 am

Doidge, Armstrong and Robinson have all made comments about trying to adjust to Parkinsons style of football and the latter was quoted as it being a reason he opted for Wigan this year.

The two stand out midfielder's in league 1 last year were Dack and Ozthumer. Compare their career trajectories now.

There's an argument that some players can't make the step up but there's 4 players who under a different manager and system I'm sure would have offered us something better than what we have now.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:20 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:09 am
Doidge, Armstrong and Robinson have all made comments about trying to adjust to Parkinsons style of football and the latter was quoted as it being a reason he opted for Wigan this year.

The two stand out midfielder's in league 1 last year were Dack and Ozthumer. Compare their career trajectories now.

There's an argument that some players can't make the step up but there's 4 players who under a different manager and system I'm sure would have offered us something better than what we have now.
Dack is a fantastic all round midfield player. Oztumer fits into a very narrow system - and we've played him and frankly he's looked way short of the required level.

It isn't a comparison. I think there is a balance - Parky persisting with fairly agricultural fullbacks like Taylor is a bit frustrating at times. And in the modern game full backs that get forward are essential. And its probably Parky's main weakness. Not finding ways to stretch teams.

But I also think giving Parky league 2 lads like Doidge and berating him for their inability to step up is a bit wide of the mark. I watched Doidge carefully - didn't have pace - wasn't strong enough - and looked a bit like a nothing type at this level. Lots of his FGR goals seem to be from balls over the top down the channels. At this level he's not quick or strong enough to play that game.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:56 am

There’s been a table from the Premier League 8 years ago today floating round on twitter. We were 8th......

What I found most interesting was that everyone below 7th has since been relegated. Only a couple have bounced back. That seems like a remarkable turnover of teams at the top table.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:19 am

jimbo wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:56 am
There’s been a table from the Premier League 8 years ago today floating round on twitter. We were 8th......

What I found most interesting was that everyone below 7th has since been relegated. Only a couple have bounced back. That seems like a remarkable turnover of teams at the top table.
While 6 have dropped to league 1 at some point....

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:20 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Dack is a fantastic all round midfield player. Oztumer fits into a very narrow system - and we've played him and frankly he's looked way short of the required level.

It isn't a comparison. I think there is a balance - Parky persisting with fairly agricultural fullbacks like Taylor is a bit frustrating at times. And in the modern game full backs that get forward are essential. And its probably Parky's main weakness. Not finding ways to stretch teams.

But I also think giving Parky league 2 lads like Doidge and berating him for their inability to step up is a bit wide of the mark. I watched Doidge carefully - didn't have pace - wasn't strong enough - and looked a bit like a nothing type at this level. Lots of his FGR goals seem to be from balls over the top down the channels. At this level he's not quick or strong enough to play that game.
Dack is a great midfielder but he's being used correctly. My thinking is in the same side Ozthumer could have had a big impact too and Dack in our side would be as under used/ineffective as Oz has been.

I agree with you re Doidge. I didn't see anything in him that suggested he was going to be an adequate replacement for Madine. With regards to full backs, he's had a right back that he's refused to play all season and he had a left back that he couldn't persuade to come back because of his style of football

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:59 am

jimbo wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:19 am
jimbo wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:56 am

While 6 have dropped to league 1 at some point....
Super League by default. It's been coming since 1983, when they ended the equitable redistribution of gate receipts. By "they" I mean the then Big Five - Arse, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, Rags - whose cosy cartel has only since been broken by sheikh-ups. The Prem itself is merely a refinement of conditions.

The final pre-Prem top flight included Oldham and Wimbledon - social climbers from north and south - and Notts County, who are now about to drop out altogether.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:00 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:55 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:20 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Dack is a great midfielder but he's being used correctly. My thinking is in the same side Ozthumer could have had a big impact too and Dack in our side would be as under used/ineffective as Oz has been.

I agree with you re Doidge. I didn't see anything in him that suggested he was going to be an adequate replacement for Madine. With regards to full backs, he's had a right back that he's refused to play all season and he had a left back that he couldn't persuade to come back because of his style of football
Disagree. Look at our home game vs Blackburn. We played well, had lots of the ball and possession in threatening areas - Oztumer had chances and didn't score. Dack had one and did. Its very apparent who is the better player.

Robinson was coming here till Wigan came in with Joe Royle pulling the strings. Of course he says something about style, but he was still coming back here till then.

As for right back I like Little but he cannot defend at all. But it is frustrating he hasn't played more. I'd say fullbacks and how he uses them is the main weakness in Parky's plan.