Jumping through hoops to whack the boys from the bush? - Bolton v QPR 21/10/217

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Jumping through hoops to whack the boys from the bush? - Bolton v QPR 21/10/217

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:16 pm
I don't think it's particularly deceptive.
Ha. I just mean he looks like he isn't going to help out defensively...his on pitch demeanour is very, shall we say, laid back!

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Jumping through hoops to whack the boys from the bush? - Bolton v QPR 21/10/217

Post by jetsetwilly » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:19 am

WOW, maybe my standards of effort are too high. On Saturday he pulled out of at least 3 50/50 tackles and didn't sprint once.

I don't deny he was much better the week before, maybe he doesn't like the rain?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:00 am

jetsetwilly wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:19 am
WOW, maybe my standards of effort are too high. On Saturday he pulled out of at least 3 50/50 tackles and didn't sprint once.

I don't deny he was much better the week before, maybe he doesn't like the rain?
You clearly didn't watch very closely. I noted him pull out of one tackle on the halfway line early in the second half, but given he's just back from injury and the conditions it probably wasn't the worst decision he's made.

QPR definitely tried to block our right hand side up, they give him and Little no room. Hence we went down the left more. It left Ameobi less involved and he definitely did not have a good game.

He worked hard though. The difference when Morais came on in his place in terms of workrate and protection for the full back, was immediately obvious.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:46 pm

Sorry, can't agree with you there. Morais covered more grass in 20 mins that Ameobi did in 70. He just didn't fancy it on Sat and reminded me of when he first came last season. Hopefully that was also down to fitness and things will get better.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:17 pm

The problem from where I watched via iFollow was that QPR worked out a plan for Ameobi which was successful. Their full back was never left one-on-one with him. A midfielder was always close by to support if he cut inside to his favorite left foot. And then, if Ameobi delayed, a third midfielder appeared to crowd him. It was effective as Ameobi is our only creative player, and they shut him out of the game. Defensively, he gave his usual great support to Little.

My question is, if 3 players from the opposing side are used to cut down Ameobi, it should open up the game through the middle for us to exploit in that Armstrong can cut in and become a second CF with Velas support if we can get the ball inside.

QPRs tactic on Ameobi worked. Other teams will try it also.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:36 pm

Highlights from BWFC here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MQMjeeHwuY

And QPR's version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLLu22bU_fc

Vela's chance was better than I realized at the game...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:25 am

jetsetwilly wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:46 pm
Sorry, can't agree with you there. Morais covered more grass in 20 mins that Ameobi did in 70. He just didn't fancy it on Sat and reminded me of when he first came last season. Hopefully that was also down to fitness and things will get better.
Was Morais effective though? I couldn't care less how many marathons a player runs, I'm more concerned with how effective they are. Ameobi is the sort of player that will be fantastic one minute and shite the next, with the hope there is enough fantastic to outweigh the shite. Fil has excellent delivery, but that hasn't been enough for us to gain points this season, so it's time to try Ameobi now he's back from injury. If that doesn't work over a number of games then lets try Noone in his preferred position. If that doesn't work then we might as well stop moaning as we've nothing else...

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:02 am

Not saying Morais was any good. He was no better or worse than Ameobi. The point was, Ameobi didn't put a shift in on Sat. Was it the weather, was he tired, was he sulking after being tightly marked? I don't know.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:16 am

I'm guessing he's a fair way short of match fitness. Ameobi is fairly low on the list of problems we have.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:48 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:25 am
Fil has excellent delivery, but that hasn't been enough for us to gain points this season
Know what you mean but he scored at Millwall and our matchwinning goal against Wednesday came from his corner, so without those two we'd be even worse off...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:48 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Fil has excellent delivery, but that hasn't been enough for us to gain points this season
Know what you mean but he scored at Millwall and our matchwinning goal against Wednesday came from his corner, so without those two we'd be even worse off...
To me, its a big ask for Morais. He's the other side of 30 and being asked to step up to this level....was always tricky.

I think his injury pre-season hasn't helped. But his little turn of pace that earned him space in league one isn't enough in this league alone. Other problem is the 4-5-1 doesn't help as his excellent delivery is nullified somewhat by fewer strikers in the box.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:07 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
To me, its a big ask for Morais. He's the other side of 30 and being asked to step up to this level....was always tricky.

I think his injury pre-season hasn't helped. But his little turn of pace that earned him space in league one isn't enough in this league alone. Other problem is the 4-5-1 doesn't help as his excellent delivery is nullified somewhat by fewer strikers in the box.
Agree with all that - he's one of the few players who came into the season with little or no experience at this level (or higher). Just saying that of the four goals we've scored this season which have helped us win points, he's been responsible for two of them, so it's not like the alternatives have thrived.

Sammy can certainly make things happen and I'm very glad he's back fit, but it's worth a reminder that in 20 League One appearances he got 2 goals and 1 assist, whereas Fil scored 3 and assisted 13(?) in 19 games. It's not just a step up for Fil, and while I'd certainly have Sammy on the sheet before the Postman, I wouldn't rule Morais out just as I wouldn't like to have to rely on Ameobi.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:55 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Aye, I knew someone would be along to prove me wrong(ish) :mrgreen:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:07 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

More than made up for by him being higher up the pitch than in a 352.

Alternative is your favourite 442.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:50 pm

We were excellent from set pieces last season; not so this year. Both defending and attacking. Found that really odd.