Jumping through hoops to whack the boys from the bush? - Bolton v QPR 21/10/217

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Jumping through hoops to whack the boys from the bush? - Bolton v QPR 21/10/217

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:54 pm

QPR are going through a similar enforced post-premiership, FFP threatened downsizing like we had to endure a couple of years ago. They are currently in season three in the process, or the Freedman/Lennon phase. They spent hardly any money at all in the summer, haven't won for six games, and barely stayed up last year. They must be a likely candidate for the drop, and so really even this early in the season this is a six pointer. We win, we are in touch with Sunderland and we have momentum going into some difficult but winnable/drawable games, and we are only six points behind QPR, who would take another blow to their confidence. Lose and we are at the bottom for a while with no momentum and QPR are twelve points ahead, and over their bad patch.

This won't be easy however. They have spent a lot of money on a number of their players in the last couple of years such as £2.75m for Connor Washington, £1.5m for Idrissa Sylla, £2m for Jake Bidwell, £2m for Massimo Luongo, and £1.5m for Joel Lynch. They beat a number of clubs to sign highly rated midfielder Josh Scowen on a bosman from Barnsley this summer. And if you are a team of modest ability, who are going to rely on organization and spirit to achieve results in the Championship, then Ian Holloway is who you need, and he has them competitive this season thus far. Even during this six match winless run they have only lost to Fulham and Middlesbrough, and could have had points from both of those, particularly the Middlesbrough game where they led twice. They are looking at this as a must win, and there are rumours his job could be on the line if they do what they see as the unthinkable and lose to rock bottom Bolton.

There is nothing like a win to improve spirits. After Saturday's game it was amazing to see beaming smiles as we exited the ground, and judging by quotes and comments from people around the club, a weight has been lifted. Our chairman has even set us a target of the play offs! Whilst that maybe, as DSB put it, "a few violins short of an orchestra" we have to hope the positive mood, and hopefully more fitness into the likes of Vela of Ameobi will allow to us put on a show that returns three points on Saturday.

So an unchanged Wanderers to win another dramatic 2-1?? What do you think?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Jumping through hoops to whack the boys from the bush? - Bolton v QPR 21/10/217

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:40 am

All the signs are that there's a lot to choose from this week. Karajan is back and all the rest seem injury free and available. Must be nice for Parky, but a word of caution says, mainly stick with a wiining side and only change it if it isn't working. Should be good and hope of a win and progress are not too ambitious...I hope..... :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Jumping through hoops to whack the boys from the bush? - Bolton v QPR 21/10/217

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:42 am

We're Bolton Wanderers. Just as things seem a little brighter we have this ability of peeing on our own parade, so true to form I'll go 1-2 defeat
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:43 am

Its a crucial game. One we can win. One we must win.

Win it and we have some real momentum. Our aim has to be to stay in touch till January. I think to do that we'll need to get to around 20 points. That is 5 wins. We have QPR, Barsnley, Burton and Reading at home before then and I'd say, all of those are must wins.

If we can do that and pick a few points up on the road....

A lot to do. But there is no reason we shouldn't start by beating QPR.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:14 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:40 am
All the signs are that there's a lot to choose from this week. Karajan is back and all the rest seem injury free and available. Must be nice for Parky, but a word of caution says, mainly stick with a winning side and only change it if it isn't working. Should be good and hope of a win and progress are not too ambitious...I hope..... :D
Although he's proven himself pleasingly ready to seek alternatives when needed, Parky doesn't strike me as a change-for-change's-sake kinda guy and might be somewhere near his first-choice XI. The 4-2-3-1's six-man defensive block hasn't changed in the last three games, since the big changes after the Brentford disaster: he changed six of the first XI from Brentford to Bristol City.

Karacan, Derik and Cullen offer midfield alternatives, largely for the Henry/Pratley axis, but with QPR being the only game for 13 days the older fellas should be fine to man the engine room.

At the back, Dervite and Burke are back-ups to the Beevers-Wheater duo, although I still fear their relative vulnerability to forwards who are fleet-footed rather than muscular: I was glad, when Sheff Weds replaced Fletcher with Joao, to find the Portuguese was more target-man than tiki-taka tip-toer.

At full-back, Taylor undoubtedly offers more defensive security in a back four than Antonee Robinson, however impressive the youngster is on the front foot; at the moment, the kid's best hope is coming on late in a game we're chasing. On the other side, it's a different story: Parky has now picked Mark Little for six consecutive games, the first three in a 3-4-3, latterly in a 4-2-3-1. That may be because Stephen Darby has only just come back from injury, but I would hope and expect that Parky would persevere with Little, who offers much more attacking threat than the Scouser, especially with Ameobi tending to cut inside in front of him. If Sammy does that with Darby watching on from 30 yards behind, it's much much easier to defend than if Little's overlapping.

In the front four – if we accept Vela as being a No.10 even though he tends to play everywhere as the McAteer de nos jours - you've also got Madine and Vela nailed-on for slots, which means there's a settled spine: Wheavers, Pratley/Henry (Prenry?), Vela, Madine. Out wide, Ameobi will start for as long as he's fit and firing: interesting to hear him acknowledge to Marc Iles that "I need to work harder and get fitter (...) Just being able to focus – sometimes when I’m tired there’s a lack of concentration and that’s something I’m trying to work out in my game and cut out”.

But there's definitely a vacancy on the other flank. For the last two games Arma has been somewhat square-pegged out there, but last weekend Morais replaced him for the last half-hour – and promptly got an assist - while Noone also came on for the tiring Ameobi, and Buckley should be back in contention too. While it's nice to have cover across the squad, it's perhaps good that we have so many options for the one outfield place truly up for grabs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:19 am

@DSB - I like Little. He's good enough defensively and gets forward. He and Ameobi are a good pairing.

I'd like Noone to play over Armstrong if Noone is fit enough as Noone looks a good crosser of the ball and I'd like the balance of Ameobi cutting in, but an out and out wide man on the other side. Should be noted that Armstrong was on set piece duty on Saturday so may be being picked for that reason.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:28 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:19 am
@DSB - I like Little. He's good enough defensively and gets forward. He and Ameobi are a good pairing.

I'd like Noone to play over Armstrong if Noone is fit enough as Noone looks a good crosser of the ball and I'd like the balance of Ameobi cutting in, but an out and out wide man on the other side. Should be noted that Armstrong was on set piece duty on Saturday so may be being picked for that reason.
All fair enough. I like Little too, and although Darby may (may) be better defensively, Little is far far better going forward, which is important.

Fair enough on Arma, but his replacement Morais can take a dead-ball too. Might be that PP thinks Arma's got more goals in him - and certainly more pace - but I'm not entirely sure. Noone might be a good set-piece option, or Buckley. I'm always surprised when a striker takes set-pieces: shouldn't you be in the action zone, ready to pounce? If Arma's taking set-pieces, then the only time he's really likely to score is on a fast break.

Interesting stat Iles tweeted: "Last time #bwfc got back-to-back wins in the Championship was Boxing Day, 2014! That's 147 weeks, or 1,030 days."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:55 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:28 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:19 am

All fair enough. I like Little too, and although Darby may (may) be better defensively, Little is far far better going forward, which is important.

Fair enough on Arma, but his replacement Morais can take a dead-ball too. Might be that PP thinks Arma's got more goals in him - and certainly more pace - but I'm not entirely sure. Noone might be a good set-piece option, or Buckley. I'm always surprised when a striker takes set-pieces: shouldn't you be in the action zone, ready to pounce? If Arma's taking set-pieces, then the only time he's really likely to score is on a fast break.

Interesting stat Iles tweeted: "Last time #bwfc got back-to-back wins in the Championship was Boxing Day, 2014! That's 147 weeks, or 1,030 days."
Not a fan of playing Morais on the left. His main asset is his crossing which is nullified from that side.

I get the logic of Arma in that he plays similarly to Clough and Clough and Ameobi worked in that system last year. I'd not be upset to see him start again. Its just Noone offers a different dimension from the left being a left footed winger, I'd like to see it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:47 am

Agreed Morais has to play on the right when he plays. The other three all arguably could play on the left but it's probably only Buckley's best position, Noone and Ameobi suit the right more (SammyAmmy probably more than Noone). Noone left and Sammy right is what I'd be picking now.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:50 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:47 am
Agreed Morais has to play on the right when he plays. The other three all arguably could play on the left but it's probably only Buckley's best position, Noone and Ameobi suit the right more (SammyAmmy probably more than Noone). Noone left and Sammy right is what I'd be picking now.
Isn't Noone a left footed left winger? Or am I getting that wrong.

Ameobi is left footed but his whole game is about cutting inside onto his stronger foot.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:58 am

The only extended spell I've seen of Noone was at Cardiff the year they went up (Cardiff supporting mate). He played on the right then, cutting in, and was often unplayable.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:55 am
Not a fan of playing Morais on the left. His main asset is his crossing which is nullified from that side.

I get the logic of Arma in that he plays similarly to Clough and Clough and Ameobi worked in that system last year. I'd not be upset to see him start again. Its just Noone offers a different dimension from the left being a left footed winger, I'd like to see it.
Again, no arguments there.

On another note, Arma's loan is up in January, and I'm not entirely sure that would be extended if we had to decide today. Same for Burke and Cullen, however much PP liked them elsewhere. Still six weeks or so to decide, but it'll be intriguing to see what happens in January now the rules are (theoretically) relaxed.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:34 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:41 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:55 am

Again, no arguments there.

On another note, Arma's loan is up in January, and I'm not entirely sure that would be extended if we had to decide today. Same for Burke and Cullen, however much PP liked them elsewhere. Still six weeks or so to decide, but it'll be intriguing to see what happens in January now the rules are (theoretically) relaxed.
IF we have a free hand and a small amount of money to play with I'd send all (bar possibly Burke) back. Burke is useful cover but won't be a 1st choice so may decide for his development its best to move on.

Cullen just looks too fragile to me for where we are and Armstrong isn't really a player who is going to break through at this level. He's clearly got pace and talent, but unless he can really make the left hand side "his position" no chance he's going to make it up front for us.

If we're in touch in January then we desperately need another midfield player and a better or at least viable alternative to big Gaz. As much as I admire the work Madine has put in, to have him as our only option up front in this system is not going to be enough. And if we could find a better option.....we might have half a chance of surviving. Controversial I guess, but if anyone wanted ALF in January I'd consider it. He won't get much game time in this system, and I think the system is our best shot.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:50 am
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:47 am
Isn't Noone a left footed left winger? Or am I getting that wrong.

Ameobi is left footed but his whole game is about cutting inside onto his stronger foot.
Noone played on the left at Bristol and was really poor. He looks like he is exactly like Ameobi and his whole game is also about cutting in from the right, or at least having that as an option. In both the last two games he has used that as a bluff and gone on the outside of the left back and created really dangerous situations.

I like Armstrong's movement from the left hand side, he seems to naturally make that forward diagonal run from left to right when Ameobi gets it. As long as he isn't a liability defensively I would stick with him, as he adds a goal threat, and he might make big improvements with regular football at this stage of his career. Of the others it is hard to see any of them being better. Maybe Buckley when and if he gets himself fit, but he seems someone who naturally enjoys marauding down the right hand side. ALF should be pushing for a place there, but not sure he has the engine for it. Morais is an option but is a more defensive option. King scored twice for the under 23s in midweek, including a free kick. Maybe he could do that role?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:09 pm

I'd stick with the team that started on Saturday - Looked like it had good balance, pace and ability.

Pace is so important when you're quite 1 dimensional, like we are

Armstrong fits the bill for me
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:48 am

Feels like a big game this. Pivitol to our season. Same team for me, Karacan on the bench.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:44 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:48 am
Feels like a big game this. Pivitol to our season. Same team for me, Karacan on the bench.
Has to be that way for me to maintain the confidence of the players. Never change a winning side is an old adage and well worn, but it's no bad advice. I'm seeing us keeping the momentum going and taking the points today. Do that and we could be hearing Bradley Walsh saying.."The Chase is on!". COME ON YOU WHITES.. :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Bolton 3 QPR 1....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:59 pm

Rain lashing down and plenty wind is the report from the Macron, with the comments that long ball won't be the way to go. Still, it's the same for both sides, so deep breath, crush a grape in each hand (a bit like Russell Crowe before he fought seventy gladiators and eighteen tigers in "Gladiator") and out we go and get wet...well, they do. I'm betting it's a bit Parky (sorry) :oops: up the Hill today. Come on then, let's have em.... :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Whistle in mouth, mention of Bury (surprise) from micman, then away we go....Same team with Burke, Morais and ??? on the bench. Off by the green and black visitors. Benn hoofs and Madine wins a free kick in a prime spot 25 out. And...ref back the visitors off then.....Armstrong and....Henry deflects off a White with a follow up shot. Q.P.R sally at us, we sally it back and they get the throw. Little goes and.....get a throw and....Sammi, Henry, Wheats and...some back and forth and....ohh, just wide from a lash by Armstrong....