ALF / Armstrong

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

ALF / Armstrong

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:25 pm

So I have just read this article:

https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/ ... sly-wasted

I must say I personally disagree, at times strongly, with pretty much every point this guy is making, but he is a BWFC fan who has taken time to share his opinion, and that has to be a positive thing.

But what is interesting me are these two points that he is stating:

1.) ALF was signed in January (and presumably re-signed in the summer) against Parky's heartfelt wishes, and to appease supporters initially over the loss of Clough. This isn't the first time I have read or heard this, but does anyone know if there is actually any semblance of truth to this?

2.)
Allegedly, we are contractually obliged to play Armstrong so that Newcastle United pay his wages in full, if he doesn't play, we have to pay them. Based on this information, this to me, feels like the only legitimate reason why Armstrong is picked every week.
Do we think this is true? Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: ALF / Armstrong

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:40 pm

It seems that every week somebody from the fan ranks has the answer to our problems. If this is the case, why do we need a manager at all? Just let a fan comitee run the training then have a meeting in The Lion of Vienna every Friday over a pint or two, pick the team and away we go. Think of the money we'd save. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:18 pm

Just because a rumour is repeated doesn't make it fact.

Parky and Ken have a good working relationship so I just can't see Parky taking ALF if he didn't want him.

I like ALF and I think he's got a role to play but at the moment -Armstrong is improving with each game and gives us another pacy outlet and why the writer would consider dropping Pratley just as we've become a tighter unit is bonkers imo
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:08 pm

The writer of that piece thinks we can play 4-4-2. The obsession with a system that virtually no team plays anymore is baffling.

We are playing the best system and players we can. ALF simply isn't good enough a player to get into the team in any sort of sensible shape. That really is the long and short of it.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:16 am

I thought the same about Burke and Cullen and was clearly wrong. It seems the obvious answer as to why a manager would pick a loan player who is player way out of his depth.
Time will tell, but for me, Armstrong is a very poor option and will no doubt be leading the line for someone like Hartlepool in the next few years. For a player attached to a Premier League team, his touch is shocking. Pace is only useful if you can control the ball.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:57 am

jetsetwilly wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:16 am
I thought the same about Burke and Cullen and was clearly wrong. It seems the obvious answer as to why a manager would pick a loan player who is player way out of his depth.
Time will tell, but for me, Armstrong is a very poor option and will no doubt be leading the line for someone like Hartlepool in the next few years. For a player attached to a Premier League team, his touch is shocking. Pace is only useful if you can control the ball.
He's not great. But Noone hasn't looked great either and Buckley is never fit. Who else can we play on the left?

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Maybe change formation? Playing a formation regardless of the personnel available is the key sign of a poor manager. At least Noone has played at this level, Armstrong is so far off this standard.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:23 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:48 pm
Maybe change formation? Playing a formation regardless of the personnel available is the key sign of a poor manager. At least Noone has played at this level, Armstrong is so far off this standard.

He's already changed the formation, and we're playing better for it.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Armstrong's reminding me very much of Danny Guthrie in that I can't fathom what it is that his game's actually about.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Iles via Twitter wrote: Phil Parkinson confirms NO agreement in place with Newcastle to pay less wages for Armstrong if he plays certain no of games/mins #bwfc