13/01/83 White Hot - The Silver Jubilee

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

13/01/83 White Hot - The Silver Jubilee

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:10 pm

25 years ago tonight. Souness's world famous cup holders versus Rioch's buggers muddle. :)

May the bridges I burn light your way

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: 13/01/83 White Hot - The Silver Jubilee

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:35 pm

I have fond memories of this, the most vivid of which is four jubilant BWFC fans singing (shouting perhaps) along to Cybil's "The love I lost" on the way back...

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:59 pm

Fantastic game and one of the best I have watched. Up there with 'THE' Reading game.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:32 pm

I've written a little bit about this for the forthcoming Bolton News special, and it was a genuine pleasure to research, remember and retell.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:53 pm

My greatest night ever as a Wanderer. Lots of great games and great memories followed but that was the catalyst.

Hard to imagine now (a) how big the FA cup was then and (b) how utterly invincible Liverpool were at Anfield at the time.

With 11 heroes and the backing from a very loud 8500 fans, the team and the town felt as one that night. They never stood a chance
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:32 pm
I've written a little bit about this for the forthcoming Bolton News special, and it was a genuine pleasure to research, remember and retell.
I look forward to that, DSB. Nice one, Fella,
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:56 pm

I was a very distant emigree, on the other side of the world at the time, and more significantly, uninterested. My grandfather, who attended the match, four years later told me what a prick I was not to have absorbed it into my DNA.
He was probably correct.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

OrtonCakeBingoBongo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by OrtonCakeBingoBongo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:16 am

Yeah I remember that, Liverpool were in disarray about then. Not too dissimilar when you played Arsenal a year later and won 3 - 1 if correct at the old Highbury stadium. They had a lot of cup embarrassments in the early 1990s such as with Peterborough and Bristol City, even now thinking back it remains quite vivid. (We ourselves went for a fifth round replay visit in 1992 but were unfortunate to lose up there, 2 - 3 in the end but one of the most memorable Cup games for us in recent years)

Bolton had a good team then with players like Alan Stubbs, Jason McAteer probably and John McGinlay. Owen Coyle too must have been involved although can't recall quite who the manager would have been around that time. Pity is it's all changed now from what it used to be, game is ruined by money and advertising, sponsorships deal and that kind of thing. Maybe it wasn't better 25 years ago but it was more tolerable than today. No fancy stuff, things appeared sensible and a greater sense of enjoyment.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:53 am

OrtonCakeBingoBongo wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:16 am
Yeah I remember that, Liverpool were in disarray about then. Not too dissimilar when you played Arsenal a year later and won 3 - 1 if correct at the old Highbury stadium. They had a lot of cup embarrassments in the early 1990s such as with Peterborough and Bristol City, even now thinking back it remains quite vivid. (We ourselves went for a fifth round replay visit in 1992 but were unfortunate to lose up there, 2 - 3 in the end but one of the most memorable Cup games for us in recent years)

Bolton had a good team then with players like Alan Stubbs, Jason McAteer probably and John McGinlay. Owen Coyle too must have been involved although can't recall quite who the manager would have been around that time. Pity is it's all changed now from what it used to be, game is ruined by money and advertising, sponsorships deal and that kind of thing. Maybe it wasn't better 25 years ago but it was more tolerable than today. No fancy stuff, things appeared sensible and a greater sense of enjoyment.
That was a special side, not a good one. Coyle hadn't arrived when we beat Liverpool, he came the following summer after promotion.

Bruce Rioch was the manager. Seem to recall we handed your boys a hiding in the league cup the season or two after, thrashing you handsomely at your place (3-0?) despite you being a premiership side at the time.