Bolton Under 23's the Champs.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bolton Under 23's the Champs.

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 05, 2018 9:38 am

I see Hall didn't play. All set for 5 mins at the end on Sunday!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Sat May 05, 2018 1:09 pm

The cynic inside me wants to say KA's instructed PP to put Hall in the 18 tomorrow to work as some kind of pacifier for the braying crowds.

That said, without Clough and Walker he's obviously struggling for options up front so it's logical he's been prepped for Sunday.

I emailed the FBI again regarding Obasi's whereabouts but they still haven't found any trace.

Whatever happens tomorrow, tho, the U23s have given us something to be proud of. Young Politic sounds like he could be a good 'un. 8)

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat May 05, 2018 8:34 pm

Would be crazy to give them a run out now. I am very surprised they've not been given a game despite doing so well this season.

Does make you wonder how good they actually are.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 06, 2018 12:09 pm

No Hall in the 18.

Congrats to Didsy's kids. We may need them next season.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:00 am

The U23s kicked off their season with a 3-1 victory against Bristol City last night. Sounds like we've got a couple of real promising lads coming through (Politic and Navarro particularly) who hopefully will be given a chance to get games at senior level (here or on loan) this season.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:43 am

Another victory for the U23s last night, this time against Coventry. Connor Hall on the score sheet once more, with rumours swirling that he will be loaned out this week should we succeed in bringing in a senior striker.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:52 am

Does anyone on here with contacts at the club have any insight into which of our youth players are considered the brightest prospects? Based on the limited info you get from match reports it sounds as though Navarro, Politic, Connell, Turner and obviously Hall seem to be the most prominent players in the youth system, but that may well be because of the positions they play in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:58 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:52 am
Does anyone on here with contacts at the club have any insight into which of our youth players are considered the brightest prospects? Based on the limited info you get from match reports it sounds as though Navarro, Politic, Connell, Turner and obviously Hall seem to be the most prominent players in the youth system, but that may well be because of the positions they play in.
No massive inside knowledge but I know from a conversation over the summer that Politic is highly rated and being watched. Now, I don't think that means he'll be starting for our first team this year. But seems to be the "talk" of the place right now.

Also the lad we signed from Spurs, Pritchard seemed decent to me pre-season and he's one I'd not be surprised seeing in a cup game or even on the bench sometimes if the chance presents itself.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:14 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:52 am
Can't claim insider info but these are the ones for whom the club has awarded a professional, rather than development, contract.

Jake Turner (pro, 25/02/99, goalkeeper, work-ex loan to Stalybridge allows continued eligibility for BWFC U23)
Harry Brockbank (pro, 26/09/98, centre-back)
Liam Edwards (pro, 02/10/96, centre-back)
Chiori Johnson (pro, 05/10/97, right-back/defender)
Joe Muscatt (pro, 15/12/97, left-back)
Jack Earing (pro, 21/01/99, central midfielder)
Marcus Wood (pro, 12/02/98, midfielder)
Joe Pritchard (pro, 10/09/96, midfielder)
Dennis Politic (pro, 05/03/00, winger)
Stephen Duke-McKenna (pro, 17/08/00, forward)
*Yoan Zouma (pro, 06/05/98, centre-back)
*Connor Hall (pro, 18/02/98, striker)

The last two are contracted until 2020, the others for one year. It might be notable that Politic was given a pro contract when barely 18; as a general rule, the younger that players are awarded pro contracts, the more the club think of them - although again it doesn't necessarily mean they're banging on the first-team door, while conversely the older ones aren't necessarily washed up. Pritchard, who's 22 next month, might be closer; we only signed him this summer, from Spurs U23s, whom he had sometimes captained, and who kept him on after many others had been released - he joined them at age 7. As ever in football, one club's cast-off might become another club's corner-stone.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:01 pm

Jake Turner was doing well on loan at Stalybridge... ...but then he seems to have got injured... ...so they've borrowed another of ours, James Aspinall...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:59 pm

Connor Hall doesn’t look like he is getting much game time at Accrington. Will he make the step up?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:17 am

Interesting loan move for Dennis Politic as he goes to the upwardly mobile Salford City until January. Hopefully he gets some game time for them as he looks one of our most exciting prospects.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:44 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:17 am
Interesting loan move for Dennis Politic as he goes to the upwardly mobile Salford City until January. Hopefully he gets some game time for them as he looks one of our most exciting prospects.
Positive feedback on Dennis from the Salford fans after he made his debut on Saturday. Hopefully he proves a valuable asset for us going forward.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:01 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:44 am
The_Gun wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:17 am
Positive feedback on Dennis from the Salford fans after he made his debut on Saturday. Hopefully he proves a valuable asset for us going forward.
First goal for Politic on Saturday and further positive feedback from their fans. In these dark times it's slithers of good news like this that I have to hang on to.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:08 am

Connor Hall's back from Acc - and might be needed for us against Walsall, given we're short of men thanks to the partial registration embargo - but looks to be dropping down to the fourth tier for a Jan-to-June loan. Quoth Marc Iles: "It is understood, however, that the longer-term plan is to send him back out on loan for more experience and the former Sheffield United front man has two League Two sides looking to take him for the rest of the campaign."

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... eague-two/

Connor made 17 appearances for Accy, but only 5 were starts, and 4 of those were in the Checkatrade - in which he scored twice and got two assists. He neither scored nor assisted in the league, so you can see why they're thinking of dropping him down a division to aid his development. Bury, Tranmere, Oldham, Crewe, Vale and Macclesfield might be local options.

Iles also says that Joe Pritchard - not one of last season's U23 champs, but one who's been with the development lads since leaving Spurs in summer (since when he's turned 22) - is being considered for some gametime against Walsall.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:10 pm

How many teams can you play for in one season, given hall started against Leeds? I thought it was two but do cup games not count? League two must be his level, done fck all at accy by the looks of it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:19 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:10 pm
How many teams can you play for in one season, given hall started against Leeds? I thought it was two but do cup games not count? League two must be his level, done fck all at accy by the looks of it.
Think you can be loaned, but not owned.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:17 pm

So despite our U23s winning their league last year, so far this season Bolton have given fewer minutes of first team football to players under 23 than any other team in the football league.

To me this is an absolute disgrace, especially given our senior players are generally of a low standard. If/when this new regime comes in I really hope they emphasise youth development. I'm generally appreciative of what Parky has done for the club, but I can't see an excuse for his unwillingness to play our young players. Last week he was talking about only playing youngsters when they're ready, but for that reasoning to hold it would have to mean that our academy players are less ready than those at every other league club in the country.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:21 pm

I did ask the question last week but didn't get a reply. Prior to Connell, how many home grown players have made a league debut under Parky?

I couldn't think of any. After years of producing next to nothing we came up with Holding and Clough and a very handy £6m (give or take) in transfer fees. If we employ a manager unwilling to give youth a chance, how much longer can we continue to run an academy?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:03 pm

Does playing for the First XI involve appearance bonuses and higher wages? Just wondering?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?