Bolton Under 23's the Champs.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Bolton Under 23's the Champs.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:26 pm

Dave Lees under 23's win the League Title.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... the_table/
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bolton Under 23's the Champs.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:51 pm

Well done the lads. I wish them all a good future, hopefully some of them with us.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:51 pm
Well done the lads. I wish them all a good future, hopefully some of them with us.
I watched the first leg of Chelsea v Arsenal in the under 18s' cup final last night and was well impressed at the skill levels. The young number 10 for Arsenal (who lost the leg 3-1) Emile Smith Rowe, could be the new Paul Scoles. Hell of a young player.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:01 pm
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:51 pm
I watched the first leg of Chelsea v Arsenal in the under 18s' cup final last night and was well impressed at the skill levels. The young number 10 for Arsenal (who lost the leg 3-1) Emile Smith Rowe, could be the new Paul Scoles. Hell of a young player.
The question is always, always whether they can make the next step up. For every Paul Scholes there's a Paul Moulden or a Paul Wheatcroft, who either can't fulfil that potential or can't translate it at all to the first team. Of the England U17 team that won the 2010 Euros, only three are now in Premier League squads. It's a vicious funnel.

But given the current state of the club, it would be very handy indeed to have a productive youth system, and all concerned – players, coaches, Jimmy Pip, Parky for welcoming the mingling of squads at Lostock, Ken for refusing to downgrade the academy status – deserve hearty congratulations.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:24 pm

Be interesting to see how many of these pull on a first team jersey and perform.
Not holding my breath.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Wed May 02, 2018 9:40 am

U23s beat Charlton 3-1 in the play-off semi-final last night and now take on Notts Forest in the final. :box:
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/may/u2 ... -athletic/

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Wed May 02, 2018 9:59 am

Went watching the U23's last night. They were good and certainly know how to keep the ball on the ground! I especially liked the lad Politic who scored a good goal, Jeff King did ok and Joe Pritchard. Connor Hall worked hard, but I don't think he's quite ready to stick straight in the 1st team. I would put him on with about 10-15 minutes at the end of a game

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 02, 2018 10:17 am

Wonder if forest would be up for a trade?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 02, 2018 11:12 am

twilight wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:59 am
Went watching the U23's last night. They were good and certainly know how to keep the ball on the ground! I especially liked the lad Politic who scored a good goal, Jeff King did ok and Joe Pritchard. Connor Hall worked hard, but I don't think he's quite ready to stick straight in the 1st team. I would put him on with about 10-15 minutes at the end of a game
Oh, Twilight, we both know that's an internet faux pas. I presume you actually mean WE NEED TO PROMOTE ALL THESE PLAYERS WITH NO EXPERIENCE WHO I'VE NEVER ACTUALLY SEEN JUST BECAUSE WANKERS. :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 02, 2018 11:20 am

Wed May 02, 2018 11:12 am
twilight wrote:
Oh, Twilight, we both know that's an internet faux pas. I presume you actually mean WE NEED TO PROMOTE ALL THESE PLAYERS WITH NO EXPERIENCE WHO I'VE NEVER ACTUALLY SEEN JUST BECAUSE WANKERS. :D
The Alex Samizadeh effect...or Jamie Thomas. They were the Connor Hall's of the past....and where are they now?

The coaching staff and likes of David Lee are all in agreement that Connor Hall is miles off first team standard. I suspect most of these lads need a season or two in league 2 or non league to toughen up a bit.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Wed May 02, 2018 11:27 am

twilight wrote:
OH, yes, yes of course I meant that :wink:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 02, 2018 11:32 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:20 am
twilight wrote:
The Alex Samizadeh effect...or Jamie Thomas. They were the Connor Hall's of the past....and where are they now?

The coaching staff and likes of David Lee are all in agreement that Connor Hall is miles off first team standard. I suspect most of these lads need a season or two in league 2 or non league to toughen up a bit.
Aye, quite possibly so. Maybe Charsley does too. When the thing in front of us isn't working, it's entirely natural to wonder what the alternatives are - but very frequently this turns into the confident assumption, irrefutable through lack of contradictory evidence, that it MUST be better.

On a similar but linked note, would you still be in favour (as you were earlier this week) of releasing every single senior player? You may have meant every senior player out of contract, which is entirely feasible, but I think there might be a case for keeping some of Alnwick, Beevers, Wheater, Morais and Ameobi, even if we're turfing Howard, Dervite, Derik, Henry, Kirchhoff, Karacan, Pratley, Chris Taylor, Obasi and Wilbraham.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 02, 2018 11:36 am

Wed May 02, 2018 11:32 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:20 am
twilight wrote:

Aye, quite possibly so. Maybe Charsley does too. When the thing in front of us isn't working, it's entirely natural to wonder what the alternatives are - but very frequently this turns into the confident assumption, irrefutable through lack of contradictory evidence, that it MUST be better.

On a similar but linked note, would you still be in favour (as you were earlier this week) of releasing every single senior player? You may have meant every senior player out of contract, which is entirely feasible, but I think there might be a case for keeping some of Alnwick, Beevers, Wheater, Morais and Ameobi, even if we're turfing Howard, Dervite, Derik, Henry, Kirchhoff, Karacan, Pratley, Chris Taylor, Obasi and Wilbraham.
Yes. I'd argue that to progress we need to build a team in league one capable of survival in the championship. Like Sheffield United did. That might not be possible given the lack of funds.

But taking/keeping players patently not good enough for the championship is a problem IF you have a hope of returning. I also think that the complete lack of effort of the last 7 games has left the stench of failure too deeply ingrained. I'd like a fresh start. That will be painful in itself. But not too different given there are only a handful in contract anyway. Realistically we'll have to keep some of them as there won't be takers for them all. But ideally all could go for me.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed May 02, 2018 6:46 pm

They play good football, on the floor and through midfield & no aimless hoof ball....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 02, 2018 7:14 pm

We need a dangerous, strong front man; one the opposition get nervy about any time they get the ball. Somebody like Darren Bent in his prime. Have we ever really had one since Anelka or Danny Sturrige left? People used to sing the no support" anthem when Kev Davies was winning every header in sight, and Alf suffers from the same no-mates syndrome today. The reason was very evident last week, playing for our lives and not a decent shot on goal in ninety minutes. We couldn't scare a five year old on Halloween.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed May 02, 2018 7:28 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:46 pm
They play good football, on the floor and through midfield & no aimless hoof ball....
The complete opposite of what Parkinson does. Have we got Schizophrenia as well...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

elhadj
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by elhadj » Fri May 04, 2018 1:02 pm

Today is the final , let's hope they win it and send a massage to Parkinson and they already done it , if we go down after Sunday and Ken Anderson don't want to spend and we can't bring Kevin Nolan I hope we promote David Lee with all of u23 squad.

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Fri May 04, 2018 7:51 pm

We're up 2-0 at half-time
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri May 04, 2018 9:40 pm

FT Forest 1-2 Bolton.

Brilliant. Well done the lads. Hopefully a good sign for the future.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat May 05, 2018 8:43 am

Well done David Lee & the U23 players....that's how football should be played