Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by Riviman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:23 am

Bit concerned over lack of keeper cover, we ship out Howard, let Walker go to Reading, and bringing in a 35 year old, 3 appearances last season, who was let go by Blackpool who brought in Howard !!! As we know Alnwick will get injured in the first game and we're stuffed.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:26 am

Riviman wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:23 am
Bit concerned over lack of keeper cover, we ship out Howard, let Walker go to Reading, and bringing in a 35 year old, 3 appearances last season, who was let go by Blackpool who brought in Howard !!! As we know Anwick will get injured in the first game and we're stuffed.
The lad from Blackpool isn't signing.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:45 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:26 am
Riviman wrote:
Bit concerned over lack of keeper cover, we ship out Howard, let Walker go to Reading, and bringing in a 35 year old, 3 appearances last season, who was let go by Blackpool who brought in Howard !!! As we know Anwick will get injured in the first game and we're stuffed.
Get a better offer?
What could've happened; did.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:50 am

mullayo wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:45 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:26 am
Riviman wrote:
Get a better offer?
He is apparently helping us out with some keeper coaching. Isn't someone we're looking to sign. And thank god as he's rubbish!

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:51 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:04 am
Heard from a more than decent source last night - Parky getting frustrated over Wyke. He wants to add him in now. Ken wants to wait as long in the window as possible as he thinks Bradford will reduce the price.

The basic package isn't an issue and is broadly agreed with us and Sunderland that it will be worth around 1M with clauses and bonuses etc. However, the basic fee is around £700K. Bradford want it in full, Ken only wants to pay half up front.

Sounds like there is considerable tension behind the scenes. Parky clearly feeling its going to be a repeat of January where he's left without a striker after late attempts to sign Wyke don't materialise. Apparently the backup deal to Wyke is a loan of a player Parky isn't too fussed by! I'm guessing that is Garner.
I can actually believe both of these points, KA will want to spend as little as possible....in fact I doubt whether he wants to spend anything at all....

I've always supported & backed KA, and although I appreciate that we've brought in a couple of decent players who are a step up from last season our squad is still looking like a relegation squad....very poor defensively (centrally), with little creativity in central midfield and not much up front, we still wont create much & score many goals with the team as it stands....the spine of the team is still piss poor.

I actually think that yet again pre season has been shambolic & wasted, and I expect the team to take a good few weeks to gel before we start getting results - I expect a very slow & disappointing start to the season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:04 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:51 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:04 am
Heard from a more than decent source last night - Parky getting frustrated over Wyke. He wants to add him in now. Ken wants to wait as long in the window as possible as he thinks Bradford will reduce the price.

The basic package isn't an issue and is broadly agreed with us and Sunderland that it will be worth around 1M with clauses and bonuses etc. However, the basic fee is around £700K. Bradford want it in full, Ken only wants to pay half up front.

Sounds like there is considerable tension behind the scenes. Parky clearly feeling its going to be a repeat of January where he's left without a striker after late attempts to sign Wyke don't materialise. Apparently the backup deal to Wyke is a loan of a player Parky isn't too fussed by! I'm guessing that is Garner.
I can actually believe both of these points, KA will want to spend as little as possible....in fact I doubt whether he wants to spend anything at all....

I've always supported & backed KA, and although I appreciate that we've brought in a couple of decent players who are a step up from last season our squad is still looking like a relegation squad....very poor defensively (centrally), with little creativity in central midfield and not much up front, we still wont create much & score many goals with the team as it stands....the spine of the team is still piss poor.

I actually think that yet again pre season has been shambolic & wasted, and I expect the team to take a good few weeks to gel before we start getting results - I expect a very slow & disappointing start to the season.
Looks that way. From what I've heard there is considerable tension behind the scenes not just over Wyke but over other transfer scenarios that Parky thought were done and dusted but then Ken rowed back on looking for cheaper options.

Apparently Ken likes to wait and wait for deals because he likes to get the full value but the risk is we miss out. The non payment of bonuses hasn't helped the situation either as at least one deal we had lined up fell through on the back of it apparently.

My major concern is goals and the centre of midfield. We look weak in midfield to the point of being worse than last season. And obviously we need to add a striker who either brings the team into it to share goals around or who bags himself.

I've been relatively ok with waiting for the right players but sounds as though behind the scenes Parky's patience is running out.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:41 am

My understanding marries with what Insane is saying. We've verbally agreed deals with a couple of players the manager wanted and then the player has been sat there waiting for the actual formal offer from the chairman that has never arrived.

It's looking increasingly like Parky is being treated as a head coach and not a manager. He's consulted on deals, but Ken then does his own thing. The manager also apparently shows up to find players are training (or in one case there to play in a friendly) who he had no idea were being considered.

I'm hearing this from people outside, rather than inside, the club. If Insane is hearing that there are tensions inside the club, I'm inclined to believe that's the case.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:46 am

Parky: Yeah I'm not having a go at you, it's just...obviously the best people haven't turned up...

KenAN: You want a good pastie...Ye Olde Pastie Shoppe, half price if you wait until just before they close.
LeeAn: :P :pissed: :oyea: *halo*
What could've happened; did.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:51 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:41 am
My understanding marries with what Insane is saying. We've verbally agreed deals with a couple of players the manager wanted and then the player has been sat there waiting for the actual formal offer from the chairman that has never arrived.

It's looking increasingly like Parky is being treated as a head coach and not a manager. He's consulted on deals, but Ken then does his own thing. The manager also apparently shows up to find players are training (or in one case there to play in a friendly) who he had no idea were being considered.

I'm hearing this from people outside, rather than inside, the club. If Insane is hearing that there are tensions inside the club, I'm inclined to believe that's the case.
I heard this from someone close to one of the club's senior employees on the football side. It is tittle tattle of course, but the details provided were in depth enough to suggest that this isn't idle gossip. It matches with some of the events too. I haven't heard about players rocking up at friendlies Parky was unaware of, more that certain players were invited to train that Parky had said he wasn't interested in. The inference was Ireland was one such player but no concrete names were mentioned and it could easily have been someone else.

It was specifically said there was a wide player Parky wanted but that Ken wanted to pursue that Texeira - someone Parky wasn't targeting and the wide man was lost out on in the meantime.

It seems these are relatively recent developments - that Parky was happy with things up until the past few weeks but that now things have started coming to a head and deals haven't been forthcoming. It was mentioned to me that contract offers like you say haven't been forthcoming despite players being here for a few days and they've got fed up. It doesn't sound good.

Without knowing I'd suggest that there simply is no money and Ken has just been banking on investment that never came. He might scrabble together a small fee but probably wants to wait till the cashflow has improved.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:00 pm

I've no idea about the Andersons' side of things. I don't know them and I have no desire to.

My information on this is coming from other involved parties in the game. As I understand it PP has gone so far as to call someone and apologise, because something was agreed to and then didn't materialise. If that's right, then he will be livid as your reputation for following through on your word is paramount in football management. A lot of stuff in the game is agreed in advance and then the paperwork is seen as a formality - it's still old-fashioned in that sense. If word gets around that you don't keep your word then agents will go elsewhere.

As you say, it's all tittle-tattle. I don't like it, though.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:17 pm

I'm certain that if we do actually sign Wyke, it'll be no earlier than deadline day. Frankly, I think we've reached a point where we almost have to sign him now, just because we've invested so much energy as a club into him coming here that it'll be catastrophic to our already fragile morale if he doesn't.

I have to admit though, the pursuit of him is now beginning to feel similar to the Jutkiewicz and Hooper chases, where not only did we lose out but it transpired that we were never really in for them either. Hopefully I'm wrong.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:25 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:41 am
It's looking increasingly like Parky is being treated as a head coach and not a manager.

I think this has somewhat always been the case. None of us really believed that le Fondre and Clough were Parky's signings, did we?

But as you say (and you appear to know far more about the inner workings than I do), it may be that it's become like this to an even greater extent as the transfer window has progressed.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:09 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:25 pm

I think this has somewhat always been the case. None of us really believed that le Fondre and Clough were Parky's signings, did we?

But as you say (and you appear to know far more about the inner workings than I do), it may be that it's become like this to an even greater extent as the transfer window has progressed.
Can't honestly say I know about the inner workings at Bolton these days.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:37 pm

This all sounds feasible but does beg the question - how come we've signed a few players already if Ken prefers to wait until the last minute?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:37 pm
This all sounds feasible but does beg the question - how come we've signed a few players already if Ken prefers to wait until the last minute?
I assume its a question of Ken signing enough to keep things calm and have a squad of some sort. And presumably what we've signed so far has been acceptably cheap.

I'm guessing that the point it started to go wrong was when PP felt it necessary to declare publically how many we were short still. Was 8 at the time. And I suspect that was him subtly showing his displeasure.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:50 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
I think the suggestion is that he will drag things out if, to his mind, he can get a better deal. That makes perfect sense from the business side, but when (for example) a player is told he is on for a contract and then his agent finds out Bolton are still chasing other options, it doesn't go down well.

It's whether you can treat deals in football like you would in any other business, or whether football is too closed a world for that to work. The Oystons thought they could make it work and....well. Verbal agreements are supposed to matter in football, but they no longer do in most other spheres of business.

From Anderson's side, I assume he'll point out that the deals we've done have been good ones. I don't get the impression he's the type to care if he breaks unwritten rules of conduct in the sport. I'd also say that's the way the game is going. A lot of the new chairmen around want to treat agents and players like any other suppliers and employees from other businesses. People like Mike Ashley couldn't care less about squad harmony, they see players the same way they'd see trucks in a shipping business or employees at a sporting goods store.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:07 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:50 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I think the suggestion is that he will drag things out if, to his mind, he can get a better deal. That makes perfect sense from the business side, but when (for example) a player is told he is on for a contract and then his agent finds out Bolton are still chasing other options, it doesn't go down well.

It's whether you can treat deals in football like you would in any other business, or whether football is too closed a world for that to work. The Oystons thought they could make it work and....well. Verbal agreements are supposed to matter in football, but they no longer do in most other spheres of business.

From Anderson's side, I assume he'll point out that the deals we've done have been good ones. I don't get the impression he's the type to care if he breaks unwritten rules of conduct in the sport. I'd also say that's the way the game is going. A lot of the new chairmen around want to treat agents and players like any other suppliers and employees from other businesses. People like Mike Ashley couldn't care less about squad harmony, they see players the same way they'd see trucks in a shipping business or employees at a sporting goods store.
The inference I got was that KA walks a constant tightrope and often just pushes things too far. That is fine when everyone inside the club is on the same page but once players and the manager start to get worried you have an issue. Not paying bonuses on time, messing deals around, having players in for trial talking a deal up then stalling....it is of course with the aim of getting the club the best deal. But there has to be a balance. The best deal won't matter a jot if come 9th August we have no striker, though I'm worried KA's intention is to keep us roughly as we are with perhaps the odd free added in the next two weeks then try and desperately work the loan market after the 9th August.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:07 pm

Hoban has gone to Aberdeen

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:07 pm
The inference I got was that KA walks a constant tightrope and often just pushes things too far. That is fine when everyone inside the club is on the same page but once players and the manager start to get worried you have an issue. Not paying bonuses on time, messing deals around, having players in for trial talking a deal up then stalling....it is of course with the aim of getting the club the best deal. But there has to be a balance. The best deal won't matter a jot if come 9th August we have no striker, though I'm worried KA's intention is to keep us roughly as we are with perhaps the odd free added in the next two weeks then try and desperately work the loan market after the 9th August.
I'm not ITK at the club and, as I say, I don't know Anderson from Adam. If he's bullshitting outside groups, that's an issue for the club. If he's bullshitting the manager then it's much, much more serious.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:33 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:07 pm
Hoban has gone to Aberdeen
Also, Aberdeen doing business as it's normally done. They brought in Cerny as gk cover and loaned out a promising youngster. We loaned out our youngster and then the supposed back-up player ended his trial - forcing us the bring in a hopeful youth coach for a friendly.

I've been very supportive of our activity in the window thus far, but this has given me cause for concern. :conf: