Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by palindromeofbolton » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:31 pm

elhadj wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:11 pm
Maybe he will not be the player that anybody expecting and his goal record is awful , but for Parkinson he will be important player because his style is what Parkinson looking for strong body and tall and his style is a target man , so if he is not scoring a lot of goal it is okay for Parkinson .
Following on from that: given we were sniffing around him back in January (did we actually make a bid in the end?) then the fact we're back after him now actually suggests he's on PP's wish list, and PP knows what he can do with him.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:32 pm

Josh is a brilliant player on his day , very physical and always bullies his marker. Very good at one on ones and can score with his head , left foot , right foot , will be missed.

Read more: http://intothevalley.proboards.com/thre ... z5MTeRVmJf
From Charlton fans. Let's hope he can do all of that
Pfffft.

elhadj
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by elhadj » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:38 pm

palindromeofbolton wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:31 pm
elhadj wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:11 pm
Maybe he will not be the player that anybody expecting and his goal record is awful , but for Parkinson he will be important player because his style is what Parkinson looking for strong body and tall and his style is a target man , so if he is not scoring a lot of goal it is okay for Parkinson .
Following on from that: given we were sniffing around him back in January (did we actually make a bid in the end?) then the fact we're back after him now actually suggests he's on PP's wish list, and PP knows what he can do with him.
Let's hope Parkinson well do his magic again with him and make him a good player for Bolton and score some goal to keep us in championship ,after this deal if it is completed for us we need to look for center back who have some pace and a new left back and a new defensive Medfielder .

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:47 pm

£350K apparently. Can't argue with that, that is barely a fee in terms of Championship strikers, but it does get the "no fee since 2015" tag off our back.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... d-striker/

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:11 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:47 pm
£350K apparently. Can't argue with that, that is barely a fee in terms of Championship strikers, but it does get the "no fee since 2015" tag off our back.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... d-striker/
This....give the lad a chance, at last a fee & a statement of intent from KA however low the fee - give the lad a chance, he may be a very good player only 27, 6ft 2", played 38 times for NI

PP wanted him in January so he's obviously been a long term target, so there's a reason PP wants him - personally I think he'll do well with the new better players that we've brought in.

Welcome to BWFC Josh.....

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:59 pm

This is one of those situations where the player isn't great, but he might well dramatically improve the team as a whole. Andy O'Brien was like that. As an individual he wasn't a great player, but what he brought to the side made us better.

It means we absolutely need other players to step up their goal return, though. At least two of Vela, Ozzy, Wildschut and Sammy will need to get to double figures over the season if we're to avoid a relegation battle.

Once the lad sticks a white shirt on I'll back him to the hilt.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:04 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:59 pm
This is one of those situations where the player isn't great, but he might well dramatically improve the team as a whole. Andy O'Brien was like that. As an individual he wasn't a great player, but what he brought to the side made us better.

It means we absolutely need other players to step up their goal return, though. At least two of Vela, Ozzy, Wildschut and Sammy will need to get to double figures over the season if we're to avoid a relegation battle.

Once the lad sticks a white shirt on I'll back him to the hilt.
How do you know he isn't great ?, surely only time will tell - from what I've heard he's competitive, hard working & can score goals both in the air & with both feet, a big improvement on Madine IMO

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:25 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:04 pm

How do you know he isn't great ?, surely only time will tell - from what I've heard he's competitive, hard working & can score goals both in the air & with both feet, a big improvement on Madine IMO
Because I've watched him play. He's a middling player for most sides. He has power and works hard, like I said he's a bit like Prats.

Him not being a great player doesn't mean he won't do really well for Bolton. Some players are just good and they can shine regardless. Some players are only good in certain situations. There's every chance that Magennis' work rate will take pressure off Ameobi, for example, and allow Sammy to express himself more. Kevin Davies' best attribute was that he did so much work that he allowed other attackers freedom and thus made them better.

Magennis has tended to be used in a pairing at other clubs. Maybe as a lone forward he'll bag a few more. He's suffered a bit from not having a set position. The "goalkeeper" thing is funny, but actually at Cardiff he was viewed as a right sided player and then at Aberdeen he played right back, central midfield and up front. No manager has ever regarded him as a natural finisher and that's always an issue when you're asking whether a striker is a top player or not.

Parky wants a target man. Mgennis isn't a great striker, nor is he a great footballer, but he is a good target man. He's also not a terrible right back.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Honest opinion, I'm not a huge fan of his. I think he seems like a top professional and he works his socks off, I just prefer more technical forwards who have the movement and composure to score plenty if given service. Again, that doesn't mean he won't make the team better. We are currently worse than the sum of our parts. Players like Magennis may make us better than.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:37 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:32 pm
Josh is a brilliant player on his day , very physical and always bullies his marker. Very good at one on ones and can score with his head , left foot , right foot , will be missed.

Erm - you did read the blokes next post didn't you?

Whatever, I'm still trusting in Parky. Stuff your 10m Tom Inces. Josh is where it's at :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:58 pm

He's absolute gash. Can't believe we've finally spent money and it's on they fecking oaf. Charlton's revenge for lumbering them with Pratz I guess.

He's not as good as Donaldson, so I don't see the point. Unless he's fighting with Alnwick.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:20 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:32 pm

The lad was taking the piss.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:31 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:58 pm
He's absolute gash. Can't believe we've finally spent money and it's on they fecking oaf. Charlton's revenge for lumbering them with Pratz I guess.

He's not as good as Donaldson, so I don't see the point. Unless he's fighting with Alnwick.
Glad we're all excited by this one.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:25 pm

Wilbraham's replacement. Madine still not replaced. Looks to be an improvement on AW so makes us better. Or was AW replaced by Donaldson?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:29 pm

Pay peanuts get monkeys as the saying goes.
Wyke was there for $1m; we weren't.
As I said before 7 signings in 7 days that was yesterday's, who's today?

Charlton board had a bunch of striker suggestions, supposedly better than "Tosh".
Who would folk prefer?

Plymouths Graham Carey
Accrington's Billy Kee
Ngoy at Stoke spent season on loan at Walsall
Coventry Steve McNutty
Danny Hylton Luton
Abol Akinfenwa Wycombe 18 goals last term!
Fleetwood's Paddy Madden
David McGoldrick Out Of Contract
Chelsea season long loan Tommy Abrahams
Lee Gregory Millwall
Bristol City Matty Taylor
Glenn Murray Brighton
Watford Andre Gray
Sterling Tottenham
Liverpool reserves Brewster
Phil Foden Man city
Liverpool season long loan Benteke
Armstrong Newcastle reserves season long loan
Matt Smith Fulham
What could've happened; did.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:43 pm

What really concerns me; are these "targets" the players the Parky has asked for, or some handed to him as being good value from the bargain bucket? I'll confess I know little about players outside our own circus of operations, but I'd love to see a pic of Parky doing handstands over some signings. Doesn't mean they are not decent, but the doubt remains a little.....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:51 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:25 pm
Wilbraham's replacement. Madine still not replaced. Looks to be an improvement on AW so makes us better. Or was AW replaced by Donaldson?
Same thing was said about Donaldson. "Don't worry, he's the Wilbraham upgrade and not the main man." So now we've signed two strikers who we shouldn't worry about, because they won't play much.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:43 pm
What really concerns me; are these "targets" the players the Parky has asked for, or some handed to him as being good value from the bargain bucket? I'll confess I know little about players outside our own circus of operations, but I'd love to see a pic of Parky doing handstands over some signings. Doesn't mean they are not decent, but the doubt remains a little.....
Tbf Parky did try to sign Magennis in January so we have to assume he was one of his main targets, probably second behind Wyke. Magennis is very much a Parky style of player (big strong target man) so when/if it is finalized I would expect us to see/hear Parky giving his approval.

I am sure Magennis is much cheaper in wages than Wyke given Sunderland are competing for Wyke, so one can see Ken purposefully missing out on Wyke whilst hopefully pacifying Parky.

I have to say from what I have seen of Magennis I am not impressed but I can see how he is important for Parky. Wyke to me was a decent footballer and goalscorer who I think could well have improved us a lot, and might well have quickly turned into a valuable asset. Not to worry. I definitely think the play offs are out of reach now!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:04 pm

I've no clue what's going on in the club or what Parky is planning, but he's said he needs 2 new strikers and that could mean a number of things. We could be going 4-4-2. Alf could be leaving and we could be looking for a replacement for him. We could view Donaldson as a utility forward, who can cover the wings as well as up front.

Whatever is going on, PP has said he wants 2 strikers and it looks like Magennis is one. If anyone knows better than I do what the plan is, I'd love some insight.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:57 pm

How would we have described Madine if he were to have been bought by a championship club when we were in league one? or the season before? What would his most vociferous detractors have said? He went on to be exceptional for six months. I'm glad we've got a target man because watching us hoof it to ALF is painful.