Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27410
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:03 pm

mullayo wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:43 pm
Lee Camp. I checked his stats. Last year he singlehandedly - should have used two - dragged Underland down.

12 games and conceded 22 goals basically 2 a game.
He won one game,lost 7 drew 4.


Based on that. If he'd played all 44 games they'd have 25.7 points. Round it up to 26 if you like it's still sh*te.
He's six foot tall and 33.
What's Anderson thinking? That Camp and Wilson can bring the Blunderland magic back!

We had young Walker in house and let him... Y'know... It was in his name. Don't ignore him for a month and hope he stays...
Its a backup keeper. No chance were we matching Reading's 3 year offer.

Camp will be fine.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:52 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:49 pm
It looks like Wigan now have first refusal on Everton loanees, so if we do get Pennington it'll be because they feel they have better options (they were heavily linked). Leeds also want him back, even though their fans don't.
They can only sign 2!
Sure, but they currently have none. Robinson and Pennington are their links at the moment.

User avatar
mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:12 am
Location: Shivering in the Shaky Isles Godzone NZ

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:15 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:52 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:49 pm
It looks like Wigan now have first refusal on Everton loanees, so if we do get Pennington it'll be because they feel they have better options (they were heavily linked). Leeds also want him back, even though their fans don't.
They can only sign 2!
Sure, but they currently have none. Robinson and Pennington are their links at the moment.
Ghost, are you in the Camp camp? Insane is... But you know.. :crazy:
What could've happened; did.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:19 pm

Lee Camp used to be a very, very good 'keeper at this level. He was utter garbage the last two seasons, though - and I mean really, really bad. I saw him for Rotherham and then I watched a lot of him for Sunderland (including when I was watching their match reviews online when we signed Wilson). It's like he totally forgot how to play. Positioning, command of his area, shot stopping all gone to pot.

Not a clue what went on, but I'd really not want him unless we know what the problem is and have a plan to sort him out.

User avatar
mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:12 am
Location: Shivering in the Shaky Isles Godzone NZ

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:25 pm

Here's the teamlist from last year's season opener VS my preferred teamlist this year.
Ironically,the three ones that are the same at the back are the ones that I'm most worried about.
Italics are better players, Bold the same

--------------------Howard----------------
Darby--Dervite---Wheater---Beevers--Taylor
---------Vela---------Culen--------Karacan------
-------------Madine---------Alf-----------

========VS==========

--------------------Alnwick----------------
Olkowski----Wheater-----Beevers----Taylor
-------------Lowe----------Murphy-----------
-----Ameobi--------Vela-------Wildschut------
------------------Magennis---------------------

BENCHES: 2017----VS--------2018

Darth Vader----------=--------Mark Little
Aaron Wilbraham-----<------Clayton Donaldson, ALF
Will Buckley----------=-------Will Buckley
Ben Alnwick--------->---------Lee Camp
Derik Osede---------<-------- Oztumer
Adam Armstrong-----<------Craig Noone
Reece Burke---------<--------Hobbs, Wilson
Last edited by mullayo on Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
What could've happened; did.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Having just asked a mate, Camp was apparently really good when he showed up at Rotherham - so maybe he just had a blip and lost his confidence.

User avatar
mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:12 am
Location: Shivering in the Shaky Isles Godzone NZ

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:38 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:30 pm
Having just asked a mate, Camp was apparently really good when he showed up at Rotherham - so maybe he just had a blip and lost his confidence.
Would you have preferred signing upcoming young Walker as a keeper keeper or loaning dodgy Camp Over(the)Hill?
What could've happened; did.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2350
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Xanadu

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by jmjhb » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Sunderland is the place that time forgot and where careers go to die though.

Robinson signed for Wigan.
Last edited by jmjhb on Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:52 pm

mullayo wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:38 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:30 pm
Having just asked a mate, Camp was apparently really good when he showed up at Rotherham - so maybe he just had a blip and lost his confidence.
Would you have preferred signing upcoming young Walker as a keeper keeper or loaning dodgy Camp Over(the)Hill?
I think everyone would have preferred Walker, but we failed to offer him and contract and he walked.

HMX
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1810
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:29 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by HMX » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:53 pm

Grr Image

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:54 pm

We've added Ben Williams to the WBA squad. Says it all about where we are with 'keepers.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27410
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:55 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:54 pm
We've added Ben Williams to the WBA squad. Says it all about where we are with 'keepers.
No it doesn't. We're close to signing one but won't be done for tomorrow.

Christ. A keeper to sit on the bench for the majority of the season is low priority for us. You can always sign keepers on emergency loans at any point should the worst happen.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:56 pm

HMX wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:53 pm
Grr Image
Not bothered, to be honest. I wanted him here if there was a chance to sign him next year and he's shown he has no interest in a future at this football club. Move on. We need to build a team for a sustained push up the table.

User avatar
mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:12 am
Location: Shivering in the Shaky Isles Godzone NZ

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:56 pm

HMX wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:53 pm
Grrr
Image
Is that their strip?
It's ugly, makes whoever's wearing it look like a filthy traitor...
He's also standing in the net holding the ball across the goaline so that's a goal idiot!
And a redcard for handball!!
Last edited by mullayo on Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What could've happened; did.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:55 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:54 pm
We've added Ben Williams to the WBA squad. Says it all about where we are with 'keepers.
No it doesn't.
Yes, it does. I'm aware that Parky has said he hopes to conclude a deal for a keeper soon, but clearly this was not in anyone's plans. Even Ben Williams didn't think he'd be making a match day squad, he came here to coach kids. Clearly things have not gone to plan.

Equally, if we are signing a keeper who has no hope of getting a game then that's stupid. Ask any professional keeper and they'll tell you that their best form comes when there's someone who genuinely pushes them for the shirt. If we sign someone to just be a body then not only will that player be no use to us if he has to play, but the main keeper is unlikely to feel as motivated as he should.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27410
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:59 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:56 pm
HMX wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:53 pm
Grr Image
Not bothered, to be honest. I wanted him here if there was a chance to sign him next year and he's shown he has no interest in a future at this football club. Move on. We need to build a team for a sustained push up the table.
Signed a new 3 year deal at Everton today.

User avatar
mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:12 am
Location: Shivering in the Shaky Isles Godzone NZ

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:01 pm

Donaldson ruled out. Unleash the beast Magennis!
What could've happened; did.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:59 pm
Signed a new 3 year deal at Everton today.
Yup and good on him. We need players in who can improve us over a 2-3 year period, not for 12 months. Obviously, Antonee would have been better than Taylor, but I'm not devastated to miss out on him for a year. I don't dislike the lad for going to Wigan, I just care more about squad building at Bolton. Regardless of the financial situation, we have got to start looking up the table and have a plan for getting promoted.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27410
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:02 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:59 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:55 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:54 pm
We've added Ben Williams to the WBA squad. Says it all about where we are with 'keepers.
No it doesn't.
Yes, it does. I'm aware that Parky has said he hopes to conclude a deal for a keeper soon, but clearly this was not in anyone's plans. Even Ben Williams didn't think he'd be making a match day squad, he came here to coach kids. Clearly things have not gone to plan.

Equally, if we are signing a keeper who has no hope of getting a game then that's stupid. Ask any professional keeper and they'll tell you that their best form comes when there's someone who genuinely pushes them for the shirt. If we sign someone to just be a body then not only will that player be no use to us if he has to play, but the main keeper is unlikely to feel as motivated as he should.
Definitely hurt Jussi having cheap second choices warming the bench all those years....

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:02 pm
Definitely hurt Jussi having cheap second choices warming the bench all those years....
When Jussi arrived he actually did have to compete with Steve Banks, who at the time was viewed as a solid 'keeper. Jussi proved to be so far above Banks that he eventually fell by the wayside completely; but Sam did bring in 'keepers he felt could at least make Jussi feel pressured. Ian Walker and Al-Habsi both showed they were capable Premier League players for periods of their careers.

Regardless of that, Alnwick is no Jussi. If he goes off form again, as he has a number of times in his career, do you fancy having nobody to push him for his spot or be able to step in? If so, fair enough...I'm not there with you on that.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests