Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by Jugs » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:39 pm
Jugs wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:35 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:10 pm
Jugs wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:06 pm
I wouldn't write him off just yet, Insane. Adam can pass, and it's better to have an option on the bench that we know can pass than one who can't.

My concern is that, the more CM's we get, the less we'll see Otz (who I think we'll hardly see as it is).
Oztumer will play the number 10 role. So needs to oust Vela.

I would like another CM, I'm far from convinced on Adam.

We are linked with Cameron Jerome today, who would be excellent. But Leeds seemingly want him and he's likely to go there.
Won't happen this season.
Or Murphy. Think we'll see plenty of Josh in the deeper 2 this year, particularly at home.
That'd suit me

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:19 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:08 pm
Chadam's wife's Salford lass..... #justsayin
I’m sure she is pleased to be out....

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 pm

Nugent also linked

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:50 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 pm
Nugent also linked
Highly doubtful we will get Nugent....if he's available other clubs with more money than us will be in for him, and probably offer to pay a higher % of his wages.

And surely he would only come if he was 1st choice....why would he swap being a sub at Derby for being a sub at Bolton

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:10 pm

I suspect he would be first choice. Might be pie in the sky but at least we're giving it a go

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Nugent scored a good goal at the weekend coming off the bench. Can't see that one.

Cameron Jerome would suit our style but why do we need him when we have Magennis and Donaldson. We need a goal scorer not another target man unless we are going to play two big men up front.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:36 pm

We're always going to be playing with a target man of sorts. Seems the striker we've been after all summer was to be the main man with Magennis as back up and Donaldson the different option in behind. Was always going to be someone we can hit. Jerome's goal record at this level is v good.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:52 pm

Nugent would be a top, top signing - but I just can't see it happening.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:14 pm

Nugent is getting on a bit (33), being a sub is probably perfect for him. Not that I have any idea about if he's any good these days, or would go to Bolton.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:59 am

Nugent is a dead end, for me. He's not the "type" to play in Parky's system (unless we are looking for a lad to play in a 'home' system), he's on high wages at Derby and he's got no resale value at 33 - also worth remembering we already have a veteran striker on the books. No doubting he's a decent Championship player, but he's not where we need to be in terms of building. Jerome has similar issues to Nugent on the financial side, but fits what we need in the squad role.

Either of them would be a good addition to most Championship squads and they'd likely both come in useful, so I'm not saying either would be a terrible signing; certainly not for this season. We are obvious way down the list in terms of who we wanted him, having been rebuffed with several cash bids (apparently) and having had other targets sign elsewhere. So I don't expect the "ideal" player at this stage and probably never did.

We saw some of the limitations of Magennis against Reading. He played very well, all in all, but his reading of the game is suspect and he frustrated the lads behind him a few times by choosing the wrong run. I've really enjoyed Josh so far, but he does need real competition because there's every chance he'll have poor periods of the season (or run himself into the ground) and his match awareness isn't likely to push him through periods where he's not generally playing well so that he's still a threat, in the same way that a natural striker's might. So I don't think we can leave it as just Josh and Clayton, as some people are suggesting.

There's a bit of "short-termism" in the squad as it is, with contracts and ages (not a bad thing, in a number of cases). I'm living in hope that we can find someone of the right age who Parky feels can help us out and who can benefit us for at least 2-3 seasons - or bring in cash.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:51 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:59 am
Nugent is a dead end, for me. He's not the "type" to play in Parky's system (unless we are looking for a lad to play in a 'home' system), he's on high wages at Derby and he's got no resale value at 33 - also worth remembering we already have a veteran striker on the books. No doubting he's a decent Championship player, but he's not where we need to be in terms of building. Jerome has similar issues to Nugent on the financial side, but fits what we need in the squad role.

Either of them would be a good addition to most Championship squads and they'd likely both come in useful, so I'm not saying either would be a terrible signing; certainly not for this season. We are obvious way down the list in terms of who we wanted him, having been rebuffed with several cash bids (apparently) and having had other targets sign elsewhere. So I don't expect the "ideal" player at this stage and probably never did.

We saw some of the limitations of Magennis against Reading. He played very well, all in all, but his reading of the game is suspect and he frustrated the lads behind him a few times by choosing the wrong run. I've really enjoyed Josh so far, but he does need real competition because there's every chance he'll have poor periods of the season (or run himself into the ground) and his match awareness isn't likely to push him through periods where he's not generally playing well so that he's still a threat, in the same way that a natural striker's might. So I don't think we can leave it as just Josh and Clayton, as some people are suggesting.

There's a bit of "short-termism" in the squad as it is, with contracts and ages (not a bad thing, in a number of cases). I'm living in hope that we can find someone of the right age who Parky feels can help us out and who can benefit us for at least 2-3 seasons - or bring in cash.
Jerome or Nugent would be a loan. Nothing else. So it would be short termism but I suspect there aren’t many loan to buy strikers out there available on our budget.

I’d have thought either Nugent or Jerome would add something to us. And both would fit to an extent. Jerome would be an experienced and higher level Magennis. Whereas Nugent would be the pain in the arse never stop running Garner type that Parky likes. Nugent can run the line on his own.

Both far better players than Le Fondre.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:08 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:51 am
Jerome or Nugent would be a loan. Nothing else. So it would be short termism but I suspect there aren’t many loan to buy strikers out there available on our budget.
It looks like all the deals we've offered thus far (or all the ones we've heard about) have been loan to buy. Like you say, the budget has been the issue. If we were taking one of them on loan with no requirement to buy, fair enough. As I say, I think they're both decent players and they'd improve our squad this season.

I live in hope that we'll find someone the right age and profile, but I agree with you that it's unlikely at this stage. To me, Jerome makes more sense for us than Nugent - unless we're trying to switch things up at home.

I'd like to know who we offered 900k for. It'd be very informative as to what we are trying to do.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:28 am

I'd imagine wages alone mean Jerome and Nugent were loan only. As Ghost days earlier, seems clear we're a long way down our list.

And I'll pleat fog of we've offered 900k for anyone. £100k in 100 monthly installments and then £800k of we win the Champions League.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:36 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:08 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:51 am
It looks like all the deals we've offered thus far (or all the ones we've heard about) have been loan to buy. Like you say, the budget has been the issue. If we were taking one of them on loan with no requirement to buy, fair enough. As I say, I think they're both decent players and they'd improve our squad this season.

I live in hope that we'll find someone the right age and profile, but I agree with you that it's unlikely at this stage. To me, Jerome makes more sense for us than Nugent - unless we're trying to switch things up at home.

I'd like to know who we offered 900k for. It'd be very informative as to what we are trying to do.
If you read Ken's statement he says we had £900K turned down on a "loan to buy". Aneke? And are in discussions with two championship strikers about a "Loan move". Specifically says loan, not loan to buy.

The money saved from Le Fondre is clearly allowing us to go for a higher quality striker. I don't believe Nugent or Jerome were anything other than pipe dreams till we moved ALF on. Now clearly they want to aim as high as possible. Cannot see either coming off, as both seem incredibly ambitious for where we are and if available I'm sure a dozen or more championship clubs will be into it.

But shows the progress we are making I guess, being able to even ask about availability of such players.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:12 pm

We are linked with midfielder Joe Williams from Everton.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/bolto ... idfielder/

I have seen little of him, but do remember Barnsley fans speaking highly of him last season. Looks a good age, good pedigree in the position we need to strengthen. Do it Ken!

JJ4bwfc92
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by JJ4bwfc92 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:27 pm

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ipswi ... -year-old/

Anyone seen this one? Deji Oshilaja from Wimbledon

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:36 am
If you read Ken's statement he says we had £900K turned down on a "loan to buy". Aneke? A
The reported asking price for Aneke is 250k.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:49 am

Joe Williams is the latest link, on loan from Everton. Have heard good things. Aggressive, pretty quick and can pass a ball. Saw him a couple of times and thought he was impressive for his age.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:07 pm

Lol if we were bidding 900k for Aneke

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:23 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:12 pm
We are linked with midfielder Joe Williams from Everton.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/bolto ... idfielder/

I have seen little of him, but do remember Barnsley fans speaking highly of him last season. Looks a good age, good pedigree in the position we need to strengthen. Do it Ken!

Nailed on now that he'll go to the Pie Eaters.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!