Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:40 pm

£6 million quid for a striker who got 6 goals last season in the championship? I sort of get Ken’s point! Makes Madine look good value (and yes I know he is young and English). Where are Rovers getting their cash from? Good year for chicken farming?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:12 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:40 pm
£6 million quid for a striker who got 6 goals last season in the championship? I sort of get Ken’s point! Makes Madine look good value (and yes I know he is young and English). Where are Rovers getting their cash from? Good year for chicken farming?
It's the risk you take though. If he does well they could easily get 20+mil for him in a couple of seasons. It shows you where we are in the pecking order. It also says to me that it's not a bad place to be, when other clubs are throwing cash around like confetti. Some of them will be borrowing to do it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:34 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:40 pm
Good player. Yet to really show if he’s a goal scorer. But as a lone striker he’s done the business.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:50 am

LOVS has us linked with young Aston Villa winger Andre Green.
Likely to be loan only as he's played four games this season

We need another striker.
Parky was insisting on one before ALF left.
OR We're going to be stuck playing one up front all year.
Which is okay when it's Magennis but not really Donaldson's thing. + Connor Hall would get games.

If Vela goes we need another mid too.
If Beevers goes we'll be alright with Wilson, Hobbs and Grounds. (+Darby)
What could've happened; did.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:03 am

We surely need another striker? If Magennis were to get injured our only option would be Donaldson, given that Hall has shown himself not to be ready. Even assuming Magennis stays fit we could really do with a different striking option for the bench.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:25 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:03 am
We surely need another striker? If Magennis were to get injured our only option would be Donaldson, given that Hall has shown himself not to be ready. Even assuming Magennis stays fit we could really do with a different striking option for the bench.
Absolutely. That seems to be what they are trying to do. Not easy though.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:29 am

Striker is a necessity, but that doesn't mean it'll get done. If it does, it doesn't mean Parky will get someone he genuinely wants. Sam Gallagher looks like the best of what is left, but Saints may keep him. Will be interesting and nervy.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:26 am

"Sources at the club have dismissed suggestion that Josh Vela or Mark Beevers could leave before the deadline. Midfielder Vela’s situation has been monitored by Leeds United and reports have repeatedly linked defender Beevers to Rangers. Wanderers say they will not allow their squad to be weakened, however, and that both players will remain into the last year of their contracts."

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... g-on-loan/

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:29 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:26 am
"Sources at the club have dismissed suggestion that Josh Vela or Mark Beevers could leave before the deadline. Midfielder Vela’s situation has been monitored by Leeds United and reports have repeatedly linked defender Beevers to Rangers. Wanderers say they will not allow their squad to be weakened, however, and that both players will remain into the last year of their contracts."

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... g-on-loan/
Selling either would be crazy at this stage. And for no end really. Our ability to sign a striker is probably less dependent on money and more dependent on clubs being prepared to release a player on loan where he wouldn't necessarily be 1st choice and the player being happy with that.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:10 am

The_Gun wrote:
But has he been given a fair chance to do that? Surely he needs a game or two to fit in and begin to prove his worth?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:22 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:10 am
The_Gun wrote:
But has he been given a fair chance to do that? Surely he needs a game or two to fit in and beging to prove his worth?
David Lee was saying all last season that it's a huge jump from Development to Championship. Parky has said throughout pre-season that Hall needs a lower-division loan to help him bridge that gap, but would have to wait until we have enough alternative options – a task made harder by Alfie's moonlight flit. And at the same time the club was announcing Alf's exit, Hall himself was making his first senior start at Leeds – and by every single account, on here and elsewhere, looked well out of his depth. Had he scored in that game, and in the three league games since impressed off the bench enough to say he could be a starter, Parky would have had a different option. But that didn't happen.

Hall has two years left on his contract, so we're in no rush for him to prove himself. He scored again for the U23s last night and is clearly above that level. If he goes to, I dunno, Bury on loan until January and scores half a dozen goals, maybe he can press his claim thereafter. That might be him threatening our first team, or perhaps be elevated to League One for another loan. Whatever happens, the impending red flashing light of a deadline is not the end of his Bolton career but the end of the latest transfer window, on August 31st - Friday. We simply don't have the time left to see if he might be able to step up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:35 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:10 am
The_Gun wrote:
But has he been given a fair chance to do that? Surely he needs a game or two to fit in and beging to prove his worth?
He's had a game at Leeds. Been involved with the 1st team squad. Parky has seen a lot of him. As have his coaches. If they don't think he's up to it (and clearly they don't) then he's not up to it.

See all our previous "starlet" goalscoring talents fans were screaming to be "given a chance". Likes of Jamie Thomas and Alex Samizadeh...and see where they are now.

The level Hall is playing at currently is akin to non-league football. In fact our kids have been beaten by non-league sides.

You don't have to be good in the U23s to realistically have a chance. You have to be absolutely stand out exceptional.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:42 pm

I didn't want ALF to go (still smarting from that one, as it's becoming clearer that we're not going to find an adequate replacement this window), don't want Vela to leave, but Beevers? Not sure about that one. He puts some great blocks in, and Hobbes - as good as he might be - has a terrible injury record.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Jugs wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:42 pm
I didn't want ALF to go (still smarting from that one, as it's becoming clearer that we're not going to find an adequate replacement this window), don't want Vela to leave, but Beevers? Not sure about that one. He puts some great blocks in, and Hobbes - as good as he might be - has a terrible injury record.
We shall see. I really think ALF going is fairly insignificant. It’s one option less off the bench if we are desperate.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:56 pm
Jugs wrote:
We shall see. I really think ALF going is fairly insignificant. It’s one option less off the bench if we are desperate.
You surely would see it as of far greater significance if we don't sign another striker this week, though? As good as Magennis has been so far, to me our striking options are worse now than they were this time last year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:04 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:
You surely would see it as of far greater significance if we don't sign another striker this week, though? As good as Magennis has been so far, to me our striking options are worse now than they were this time last year.
We need another Magennis. Not an ALF.

Our system needs a lone striker. And for me we have two to play that role, better than we had at any point last season.

My worry is Donaldson is not an every game man at his age. But he has scored goals. We need someone else who is able to do the Magennis role. Jerome would be absolutely ideal in my view. Not point signing a poacher who will rarely play in how we setup.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:04 pm
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:

Our system needs a lone striker. And for me we have two to play that role, better than we had at any point last season.

My worry is Donaldson is not an every game man at his age. But he has scored goals. We need someone else who is able to do the Magennis role. Jerome would be absolutely ideal in my view. Not point signing a poacher who will rarely play in how we setup.
Serious question, I'm not looking for an argument....why can't Parkinson change or adapt the way we play to accommodate a poacher type forward player if he's such a good manager ?, or why didn't he look to do it during pre season, having only one way to play surely doesn't give much room for error should it cease to be effective at some stage - also if he can't doesn't that make him a 'one trick' pony knowing only one way to play i.e. direct football.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:04 pm
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:

Serious question, I'm not looking for an argument....why can't Parkinson change or adapt the way we play to accommodate a poacher type forward player if he's such a good manager ?, or why didn't he look to do it during pre season, having only one way to play surely doesn't give much room for error should it cease to be effective at some stage - also if he can't doesn't that make him a 'one trick' pony knowing only one way to play i.e. direct football.
Because teams don't play a straight two up anymore very often. The only way they do is 3-5-2 which we tried last season but didn't have many constituent parts to make that system work.

Virtually nobody plays a straight 4-4-2 anymore because you are too light in midfield and your back 4 gets too easily exposed. Parky has played more systems here than any manager I can remember. 4-4-2, a diamond, a 4-5-1 and a 3-5-2. To suggest he's totally dogmatic on how we setup is a nonsense.

We are playing the right system to suit our strengths - as we saw towards the end of last season. We need a 4-5-1/4-3-3 to get the best out of what we've got. And we should get players that fit into that system. ALF never did and probably suffered from the fact that a 3-5-2 didn't work for us.

But a manager has to maximise what he has. You seem to think a manager can impose a philosophy on players. But it doesn't work like that. Parky is picking the right system for what we've got. How we play in that system can be questioned. But either way ALF didn't fit and was only ever an impact sub here (and if truth be told most of his career).

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:
It's all about options and plan Bs.

When we struggle at times and need something different, we need those options.

No one needs reminding of the Forest game and what an impact ALF had. At the moment, you look at the bench and you only see Donaldson. It's not enough. There's no impact striker.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:39 pm

Jugs wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:31 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:
It's all about options and plan Bs.

When we struggle at times and need something different, we need those options.

No one needs reminding of the Forest game and what an impact ALF had. At the moment, you look at the bench and you only see Donaldson. It's not enough. There's no impact striker.
Changing our wide players will be our impact options this year. Possibly Erhun too.

I agree we need another, but I think a different one to ALF who IMHO was not really ideal for us even as an impact player.