Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by Enoch » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:05 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:11 am
Parkys first, before the league 1 season, was pretty good I'll have you know.
Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:50 pm.

A scar that may never heal. I'm forever traumatised.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:11 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:23 pm
Indeed. As long as the next one isn't titled Speak and Sell
I Just Can't Get Enough of this stuff. :drink:

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:35 pm

Enoch wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:11 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:23 pm
Indeed. As long as the next one isn't titled Speak and Sell
I Just Can't Get Enough of this stuff. :drink:

:D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:51 pm

https://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2018/09/0 ... olton.html

Turner back after breaking wrist, young James Aspinall, another of our very good young goalkeepers, replaces him.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:12 pm

Lloyd Dyer signed on a short term deal

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:43 pm

THE THREAD THAT WON'T DIE

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/septem ... loyd-dyer/

PP: “We are pleased to welcome Lloyd to Bolton Wanderers. With Sammy’s injury lay off being longer than we first anticipated, it was important that we have more options. Lloyd’s experience of playing as a left wing back will give us more cover if we decide to play with a back three.”

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:01 pm

Can see nothing but good and a smart move here. I think I like this...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:43 pm

PP: “We are pleased to welcome Lloyd to Bolton Wanderers. With Sammy’s injury lay off being longer than we first anticipated, it was important that we have more options. Lloyd’s experience of playing as a left wing back will give us more cover if we decide to play with a back three.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:19 pm

Good signing even at 36....pity we couldn't have got him 2 or 3 years ago

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:29 pm

Am fine with the signing of Dyer. Am more concerned with the "Sammy's injury lay off being than we first anticipated" part. The initial reports suggested six weeks out, do we know how long the lay off is expected to be now?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:10 pm

PP: “We are pleased to welcome Lloyd to Bolton Wanderers. With Sammy’s injury lay off being longer than we first anticipated, it was important that we have more options. Lloyd’s experience of playing as a left wing back will give us more cover if we decide to play with a back three.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I agree we shouldn't play a back three if the majority of them are Wheavers. But it might be different with different personnel, and eight of Saturday's 10 outfielders were summer signings. Times they are a-changing. Olkowski should be a good RWB, Dyer might be more of an option at LWB than Grounds is at LB.

Also, PP seems to be hinting that Oz wasn't fit enough earlier in the season. With Ameobi out and Buckley/Noone hardly reliable, perhaps our creativity could come from a 352 with Oz behind Magennis and Doidge (or Donaldson), get a few more fellas higher up the pitch.

Might not work. But it might. And I like that we're thinking about things.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:18 pm

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:31 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I agree we shouldn't play a back three if the majority of them are Wheavers. But it might be different with different personnel, and eight of Saturday's 10 outfielders were summer signings. Times they are a-changing. Olkowski should be a good RWB, Dyer might be more of an option at LWB than Grounds is at LB.

Also, PP seems to be hinting that Oz wasn't fit enough earlier in the season. With Ameobi out and Buckley/Noone hardly reliable, perhaps our creativity could come from a 352 with Oz behind Magennis and Doidge (or Donaldson), get a few more fellas higher up the pitch.

I just don't see the advantage. You either push your wing backs right up the pitch. And it works if you have the majority of possession. Or you end up with a back 5. We all know which way it will go for us. Your two wing backs then end up out of puff trying to cover the whole pitch constantly and they are crossing from deep positions.

I think its a fine system if you dominate the ball and have the quality to break teams down through the middle. But it doesn't work for us because we won't dominate possession and end up have 5 across the back and two tired wingbacks.

4-2-3-1 is a much better fit. Dyer can play on the left if you are worried about Buckley/Noone. Donaldson we are told can play on the right which would get an extra "striker" in the system Kevin Davies style.

I don't like 3 at the back because I think it creates weaknesses and I don't see us having the dynamic players (Olkowski apart) to really make that work. Even Pawel seems more suited to raiding forward with a winger as cover than being left exposed on his flank. I question whether we have a strike pairing good enough to sacrifice in other areas in order to play this system.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:18 pm

I just don't see the advantage. You either push your wing backs right up the pitch. And it works if you have the majority of possession. Or you end up with a back 5. We all know which way it will go for us. Your two wing backs then end up out of puff trying to cover the whole pitch constantly and they are crossing from deep positions.

I think its a fine system if you dominate the ball and have the quality to break teams down through the middle. But it doesn't work for us because we won't dominate possession and end up have 5 across the back and two tired wingbacks.

4-2-3-1 is a much better fit. Dyer can play on the left if you are worried about Buckley/Noone. Donaldson we are told can play on the right which would get an extra "striker" in the system Kevin Davies style.

I don't like 3 at the back because I think it creates weaknesses and I don't see us having the dynamic players (Olkowski apart) to really make that work. Even Pawel seems more suited to raiding forward with a winger as cover than being left exposed on his flank. I question whether we have a strike pairing good enough to sacrifice in other areas in order to play this system.
I think we are a lot better in midfield now, to the point where it isn't weaker than many other teams in this league. Lowe, O'Neil and Williams are all pretty good on the ball and have good energy.

I aint a fan of the 3-5-2 or rather 5-3-2, or 5-4-1 as it was on Wednesday. But Dyer might be a better option than Grounds as a LWB, and we certainly need cover there if we do use it again, because Taylor can't do that role, and I can't think of anyone else in the squad who can.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:03 pm

dyer would have been a cracking signing when he left Leicester...one of them who always seems to score at the Reebok.

As it is he’s a decent signing now. Assuming he is fit. That’s got to be Sammi out until crimbo tho I reckon.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:17 pm

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:31 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Or a 352 year old lol.

I jest, good signing for cover.

Am also worried that Sammy's season is being destroyed by injuries, tho

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Stephen Ireland signed on a short term deal.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:03 pm
Stephen Ireland signed on a short term deal.
Can't imagine him being ready until November, so he's got a month to earn a longer deal. Adds something extra I suppose
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Class signing if we can get him - and keep him - fit. This is exactly the type of attacking player we need right now. No idea if it will work out but it's a bold and exciting move from Parky.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Jugs wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:26 pm
Class signing if we can get him - and keep him - fit. This is exactly the type of attacking player we need right now. No idea if it will work out but it's a bold and exciting move from Parky.
This - the big question is how quickly we can get him match fit, and whether he can stay fit, he will offer some creativity & guile though if he can get match fit....however I suspect that it could be like Kirchhoff, play 2 or 3 games then breakdown.

Saying that, who knows if somehow he can get & stay fit he'll be the best midfielder we've had in years....but its a lot of ifs !!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:06 pm

It's pretty much a no lose scenario. He won't be able to properly play a part yet, obviously, but he at least has a full two weeks now to get cracking.

Has it been confirmed how short the short-term contract is?