Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by malcd1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:32 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:06 pm
It's pretty much a no lose scenario. He won't be able to properly play a part yet, obviously, but he at least has a full two weeks now to get cracking.

Has it been confirmed how short the short-term contract is?

I can't imagine it being beyond January.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:40 am

The Daily Mail are suggesting till the end of the season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... eason.html

I wonder if Parky sees Ireland as an alternative to, or maybe cover for Oztumer?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:13 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:40 am

I wonder if Parky sees Ireland as an alternative to, or maybe cover for Oztumer?
Maybe he can help show Otz how to play the CAM midfield role, as Otz has been far too deep at times. Then again, isn't that where he played for Walsall?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:31 am

Jugs wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:13 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Maybe he can help show Otz how to play the CAM midfield role, as Otz has been far too deep at times. Then again, isn't that where he played for Walsall?
Ireland plays a bit deeper too. The trouble Oztumer has is that he's not strong enough to play close to the opposition back four and not good enough to dictate play from deeper. He's neither one thing nor another at the minute. I wonder if perhaps the step up is a bit much for him?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:39 am

Parky: “We are really pleased with the signing of Stephen. Although he’s got a bit to do in terms of match fitness, we’ve got a lot of games coming up and I’m sure he will make a positive contribution."

Games before the next international break:
Sat 20/10 Rotherham A
Wed 24/10 Forest H
Sat 27/10 Hull H
Fri 02/11 Villa A
Sat 10/11 Swansea H

He might be hoping for a start against Forest or possibly Hull, but you know what Parky (and Allamby's sports scientists) are like about getting them up to full speed. Much more likely as a sub this side of that break, I'd say. Straight after the next one we go Sat/Wed/Sat again, so maybe he'll start in one of those.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:39 am

All this preparation, bringing up to fitness, ice baths etc,etc, does tend to make me wonder how the Wanderers of old managed to play a fair chunk of matches in tougher weather/pitch conditions, week after week all season long kicking a wet medicine ball through sodden mud baths, and make enough money to live in a semi detached house and afford a Morris Oxford to travel about in style in. (I know I'm about to get chastised a little for this "ee by gum, when I were a lad" diatribe.. , I can hear Prufrock snorting and stamping his hooves already) :lol: but it is a noticable factor : Injuries are as much a factor in success as transfers, skills and financial problems.

The point remains that our own history of key players with long-term injuries (some that never recovered, and the list must be pretty long thinking Reid,Fortune,Holden, Muamba, Mark Davies etc, etc. ) highlights the major differences in the game over most of our lifetimes.

Okay. Done. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:45 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:39 am
All this preparation, bringing up to fitness, ice baths etc,etc, does tend to make me wonder how the Wanderers of old managed to play a fair chunk of matches in tougher weather/pitch conditions, week after week all season long kicking a wet medicine ball through sodden mud baths, and make enough money to live in a semi detached house and afford a Morris Oxford to travel about in style in. (I know I'm about to get chastised a little for this "ee by gum, when I were a lad" diatribe.. , I can hear Prufrock snorting and stamping his hooves already) :lol: but it is a noticable factor : Injuries are as much a factor in success as transfers, skills and financial problems.

The point remains that our own history of key players with long-term injuries (some that never recovered, and the list must be pretty long thinking Reid,Fortune,Holden, Muamba, Mark Davies etc, etc. ) highlights the major differences in the game over most of our lifetimes.

Okay. Done. :wink:
The game is played at a far faster pace nowadays so injuries are more likely and fitness is more critical given every team is fit and to an incredibly high standard. Having two players 1% off makes a massive difference now.

But players did get injured in "your day" Tango - often seriously. Greatest manager never to manage England for one famous example......

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:45 am

The game is played at a far faster pace nowadays so injuries are more likely and fitness is more critical given every team is fit and to an incredibly high standard. Having two players 1% off makes a massive difference now. But players did get injured in "your day" Tango - often seriously. Greatest manager never to manage England for one famous example......
Yes, I know.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:31 am
Jugs wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Ireland plays a bit deeper too. The trouble Oztumer has is that he's not strong enough to play close to the opposition back four and not good enough to dictate play from deeper. He's neither one thing nor another at the minute. I wonder if perhaps the step up is a bit much for him?
On that note, what I didn't understand at the time - and perhaps understand less so now - is that PP clearly didn't fancy Clough, with a lot of fans saying Clough is too small for the Champo. But Otz is even smaller? He's literally tiny.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:24 pm

Jugs wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:21 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:31 am
Jugs wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

On that note, what I didn't understand at the time - and perhaps understand less so now - is that PP clearly didn't fancy Clough, with a lot of fans saying Clough is too small for the Champo. But Otz is even smaller? He's literally tiny.
He's stronger than Clough. Clough was powder puff. Oz works a lot harder too.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Interesting move - worse that can happen is he hangs around costing us not a lot. Hope he makes a difference; despite options we lack nous in the attacking third. What now for Josh Vela? Luke Murphy hasn’t been seen for a while either.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Would prefer to see Ireland on the left instead of Buckly.

-----------McGennis-----------
Ireland--Oztumer--Ameobi

Is not half bad. Think Oztumer is doing okay, and he'll probably get better with better players around him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:06 am

Impressive Ireland interview. Sounds like he wants it. Good luck to him.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -at-stoke/
At this point in my career and with everything that has happened I just want to play. I want to play loads and loads of football. I want the feeling of walking off the pitch and being sat in the dressing room with your legs throbbing. I want to be around the training ground, in among the lads working hard, the whole team ethos, because for too long I haven’t had it, and I missed it.

When you’ve been through a bad leg break like I had, it does change you. It gives you a different perspective on what is important to you, what really matters. Now I’m here at Bolton wanting to show myself, never mind anyone else, that I can still cut it and what I am still capable of doing.
Plenty more from him in an interesting, informative interview. Nowt else to do this weekend...

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:06 am
Impressive Ireland interview. Sounds like he wants it. Good luck to him.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -at-stoke/
At this point in my career and with everything that has happened I just want to play. I want to play loads and loads of football. I want the feeling of walking off the pitch and being sat in the dressing room with your legs throbbing. I want to be around the training ground, in among the lads working hard, the whole team ethos, because for too long I haven’t had it, and I missed it.

When you’ve been through a bad leg break like I had, it does change you. It gives you a different perspective on what is important to you, what really matters. Now I’m here at Bolton wanting to show myself, never mind anyone else, that I can still cut it and what I am still capable of doing.
Plenty more from him in an interesting, informative interview. Nowt else to do this weekend...
Yes, sounds good. More here:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ton-debut/

It must give everyone a lift to have a player who has never played outside the Prem turning up and having that level of enthusiasm around the place. Could be an inspired signing...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:51 am

A bit off-topic but Trotter related: Amongst an article on English football in the "Goals" section of today's "Sun", Spain manager Fernando Hierro has quite a few good and complimentary things to say about his time with Bolton Wanderers. Makes nice reading. Here's the whole article; the Bolton section (including a brilliant photo of the great man in his Bolton strip) is way down.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... n-england/

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:29 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:51 am
A bit off-topic but Trotter related: Amongst an article on English football in the "Goals" section of today's "Sun", Spain manager Fernando Hierro has quite a few good and complimentary things to say about his time with Bolton Wanderers. Makes nice reading. Here's the whole article; the Bolton section (including a brilliant photo of the great man in his Bolton strip) is way down.

Has the article been amended since you read it TD?

I've sullied myself reading that rag only to find a pic of Hierro in his Wanderers kit but not a single mention of his time with us?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:09 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:29 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:51 am

Has the article been amended since you read it TD? I've sullied myself reading that rag only to find a pic of Hierro in his Wanderers kit but not a single mention of his time with us?
Ah, I read it in The Sun itself Harry, wife gets it daily, claims she likes the puzzle pages (yeah) and I must admit the Goals section isn't bad at all mainly. Hierro was talking about his time under Big Sam here and how the Bolton folk showed him great respect and how he enjoyed his time here. I assumed the internet link would have the same things; obviously not. Sorry...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Ah right. Cheers TD. Tell Mrs T that there are ample quizzes in various publications that don't involve paying Murdoch a dime!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:04 pm

Intriguing that they'd cut the copy from the newspaper (where column inches cost) to the website (where space is free and longer means more adverts). Perhaps they've hived it off for a separate piece.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:00 pm

Saw a similiar article about Anelka recently where he said his time at Bolton was the happiest of his career. Maybe Ken’s put us back in peoples minds!