Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 08, 2018 3:03 pm

Guess it's time we started one of these.

I see 6ft5in Sheffield Wednesday striker Atdhe Nuhiu – who could barely bother a barn door with a banjo until we played them and Parky sang his praises - ended his season with a hat-trick, taking him to nine in the last eight and 14 for the campaign. He's out of contract, and talks are ongoing, per Sheffield Star:
Everybody knows what Sheffield Wednesday means to me. We are in negotiations and I think there will also be negotiations going on this week so let’s see. I cannot say something that I can’t promise. It is going in the right direction. For me, in England, Sheffield Wednesday have been the club who opened the door me. “Of course, I will not turn back on them very easily. I hope we can find a solution but the club also needs to fight for me and they do it.
Gaffer Jos Luhukay:
I was very happy for Atdhe he scored three goals but also for the team. It’s very for us important to keep Atdhe. He is a fantastic character and person. He has a good feeling with this club and team. We hope we can find a solution in the next days and has a positive future with us. I think Atdhe will stay with us. He has a good feeling. He feels well here in Sheffield and with the team.
In other potential target-man news, Canon Slade alumnus Ashley Fletcher – surely surplus to requirements at Boro whether they go up or down - scored on the last day of his Sunderland loan against Wolves.

Oh and Gary Madine got promoted...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 08, 2018 3:24 pm

Fletcher could be a real possibility. The other fletcher, Stephen Fletcher (I forget is he Sunderland or Wednesday these days?) must be out of contract soon?

Akpan at Burton?

Be a love DSB and pop a list of championship Bosmans up?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 08, 2018 3:28 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:24 pm
Fletcher could be a real possibility. The other fletcher, Stephen Fletcher (I forget is he Sunderland or Wednesday these days?) must be out of contract soon?

Akpan at Burton?

If we're taking anyone from Burton for me it would be Boyce.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 08, 2018 3:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:28 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:24 pm

Akpan at Burton?

If we're taking anyone from Burton for me it would be Boyce.
Like every other striker in the world, Steven Fletcher is at Wednesday. I'm surprised to find he's only just 31. Wages way out of our reach, I'd think.

Burton only signed Boyce last summer for £500k - y'know, tiny little Burton - and signed a three-year contract.

One name to mention might be Josh Morris, who's got a year left on his Scunny contract but could be available if we have some money - played 16 times for Parky at Bradford.

Haven't got enough time to do a list of Bosmen but if you poke around at these URLs you'll find a few names:
• "all end of contract players" https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statist ... evertraege
• Championship https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/champio ... bewerb/GB2
• League One https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/champio ... bewerb/GB3
• Prem https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/champio ... bewerb/GB1

David McGoldrick, whom we approached between Madine and midnight, is available (but injured). And as much as I coulda snapped his scrawny neck in that game at Barnsley, you have to say Oli McBurnie's done a damn good job there.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue May 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Brett Pitman at Portsmouth, he seems to be an exclusively Southern striker though

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 08, 2018 3:56 pm

Quick one before a 4pm meeting – relegated clubs' Bosmen:

SUNDERLAND
Marc Wilson, Billy Jones, Kazenga LuaLua, Ethan Robson
BARNSLEY
Matt Mills (!), Adam Hammill, Andy Yiadom
BURTON
Lloyd Dyer, Stephen Bywater, Luke Varney, Jake Buxton, Hope Akpan, Damien McCrory, Tom Flanagan, Tom Naylor, Harry Campbell (ex-BW keeper), Tomas Egert

Oh and Warnock's already planning his spends:

"I've got to plan pre-season straight away and I've already got transfer targets that I have got to try and get permission from the board to try and sign. Vincent and the owners know I don't spend silly money, they are aware of that, but at the same time we do need five or six players to add to the squad to give us a chance really."

I wouldn't unpack the suitcase, Gaz.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Basing it on nothing other than his goals against us and Preston, Mr Akpan would do nicely on a freebie.

Billy Jones at Sunderland and Hamill at Barnsley would interest me
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:08 pm

I think the TW for permanent incoming transfers is shortened for British teams, so it ends when the season starts? If so we might not have time to wait for benefactors to sort themselves out....

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Tue May 08, 2018 5:35 pm

Frédéric Gounongbe will no doubt be released by Cardiff next month. This "curious case" has a shocking Championship scoring record (don't bother looking it up - it reads "nil") and that's probably because he also appears to have had a pretty torrid time of it on the injury front. That said, he's been prolific up to the Belgian 1st div before that, and wouldn't break the bank as wages go, even for a back up.

I was doing a quick search to see if I could find any justification whatsoever for even mentioning 'ol Freddy, and found this on a Cardiff City forum (from Nov 2017). :)
What those gathering crowds might not have expected, however, was the surprise return of Freddie Gounongbe. The Benin international has been the missing man for most of the past 12 months, but came off the bench late on to replace Danny Ward amid boisterous cheers from the home faithful.

"If Freddie scores, we're on the pitch," they joked. And the lesser-spotted frontman almost served up the magical moment they were craving, spinning in behind the Bees back line but shooting across the face of goal.

Neil Warnock said there was no reason why Gounongbe, who he likened to legendary Bolton striker Nat Lofthouse, couldn't follow in the footsteps of Kenneth Zohore and go on an astonishing goal-scoring streak for Cardiff.

On this limited evidence, there's no reason why the forward cannot force his way back into contention. Ward certainly shone, but Freddie could be back.
http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewt ... 2&t=190080

Freddy and Wilberforce to lead the line next season! :pissed:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... d-13754497
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d ... _Gounongbe

elhadj
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by elhadj » Tue May 08, 2018 6:45 pm

There is cheikh diabate he is a target man and his contract will finish this summer , he play right now in Benevento in series a .

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Wed May 09, 2018 8:22 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:41 pm
David McGoldrick, whom we approached between Madine and midnight, is available (but injured). And as much as I coulda snapped his scrawny neck in that game at Barnsley, you have to say Oli McBurnie's done a damn good job there.
I had to double check (and it was a horrible experience going back through the postings from 31st Jan :( ) but the other panic fanny-esque bid we made to cover Madine was Josh Magennis. 10 goals in each of the two seasons he's spent with Charlton in L1 now. Mind you, Madine scored 9 for us in L1. Under contract until 2019. Swap deal with Amos?!

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed May 09, 2018 8:27 am

Magennis certainly fits the bill as "big lump up front", does that job for Northern Ireland. Wouldn't be averse to his signing but perhaps more as cover...

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed May 09, 2018 8:38 am

Lee Chung Yong is off contract at Crystal Palace. Only played 16 times for them this year...
Signing or loan??? Any chance? Still 29...
What could've happened; did.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Wed May 09, 2018 8:58 am

^ Ha! I'm literally just having a gander at how Chungy finished up this season.

That 16 figure is maybe the number of times he's been in the 18, because it looks like he only made 6 league appearances this season (all from the bench). Decent chance Palace might release him... maybe. Not sure if he's actually going to get into the South Korea squad for Russia either - hasn't played for them since October seemingly? :conf:

*If* he moves on and *if* he's not picked up by another Prem club, then he knows where we are so we've got chances, but he'd also be taking something like a 66% drop in wages to come take part in another relegation scrap (perhaps). He'll probably get a better offer, alas, but we can always hope.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed May 09, 2018 9:04 am

Midfielder Erhan Oztumer from Walsall on a free?. Made the League One team of the year.

Slim pickings from there though. 8 of the 11 from Wigan or Jackburn.
Their 32 year-old striker Danny Graham is on a free too. Got 14 league goals. Could commute...

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed May 09, 2018 9:11 am

PREM LEAGUE: Senegalese/French left back Massidro Haidara and Aussie CB Curtis Good fringe Newcastle backs on frees. Both 25. Any good?
Last edited by mullayo on Wed May 09, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Wed May 09, 2018 9:15 am

mullayo wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:04 am
Midfielder Erhan Oztumer from Walsall on a free?. Made the League One team of the year.
15 goals from midfield in each of the last two seasons is none too shabby tbf. (And bear in mind Walsall finished 19th this year with a total of 53 goals)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhun_Oztumer

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 09, 2018 9:16 am

I bet Phil and Ken are reading this thread and taking notes.... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed May 09, 2018 9:19 am

DAMMIT! Turns out Oztumer at only 5ft 3in is too short... Won't be allowed on the rollercoaster ride that is a Bolton season...

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed May 09, 2018 9:21 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:16 am
I bet Phil and Ken are reading this thread and taking notes.... :wink:
Tango... At least I've stopped soley using the football manager database for my scouting. Much more sophisticated these days. Using the interweb...
Hey! Rumours got to start somewhere...