Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:06 am

Iles seems to be hinting that we're under transfer embargo again. Not sure where this has come from.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:06 am
Iles seems to be hinting that we're under transfer embargo again. Not sure where this has come from.
I can't be arsed checking, but I have heard in the past that if the PFA have to get involved in pay issues with clubs, the FA can step in and enforce embargoes until the PFA are confident that no further issues will arise. One of the few areas, they can work in tandem
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:15 pm

HMX wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:54 am
Preston now in for Wyke:
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/s ... -for-wyke/

And...
Sunderland had an initial offer knocked back at the weekend but have come back in after the sale of Wahbi Khazri to Saint-Etienne yesterday afternoon freed up some cash for further recruits.
Not good. I'll be Ken was thinking $250K now he's in an auction already hit $600K. :box: Expect us to pull out though it's in Bantams will probably continue to play up our interest.
What could've happened; did.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:22 pm

I haven't read or seen anything to suggest that we are back under an embargo....

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Nobody thought Wyke was going anywhere for less than 500k. The only reason he'd be available for less than 1mil is because his contract is expiring and Bradford can't afford not to sell. He's got a decent strike rate over a number of seasons and he also makes goals. Any player who is in the goals for a while is worth proper money.

There will be a flurry of rumours around the player now and we'll have to wait. I actually think we are his best option, but it's now a case of what happens happens.

If the chairman pulls out over 600k then he'll show he's been lying, both to the fans and his manager. He can't afford that, especially when he has picked a financial fight with the team.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:00 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I can't be arsed checking, but I have heard in the past that if the PFA have to get involved in pay issues with clubs, the FA can step in and enforce embargoes until the PFA are confident that no further issues will arise. One of the few areas, they can work in tandem
That's fantastic timing. A two or three week ban now would be simply brilliant.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Embargoes are implemented if the PFA have to pay players wages and or bonuses. It's lifted once it's repaid in full.

The FA CAN implement their own transfer bans if this is an ongoing issue, regardless of FFP performance

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:20 pm

If the chairman refuses to make a payment then the FA could, in theory, place us under embargo. It strikes me as very unlikely. Conspiracy theorists might say an embargo would provide Anderson with an excuse for not signing more players, I suppose.

Fans around here (West Yorkshire) expect Wyke to go very soon. Bradford are keen to get him sold so they can replace him and strengthen their squad.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:38 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
FA don't enforce embargoes. EFL are responsible for that with their clubs. So any embargo would come from them.

FA not involved in this sort of thing at all.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:30 pm

Reporting from the behind-closed-doors game with Morecambe, Iles thinks he sees Gary O'Neil and David Cotterill among the Wanderers subs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:44 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:30 pm
Reporting from the behind-closed-doors game with Morecambe, Iles thinks he sees Gary O'Neil and David Cotterill among the Wanderers subs.
Glad we're getting that younger squad together!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:38 pm
boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
FA don't enforce embargoes. EFL are responsible for that with their clubs. So any embargo would come from them.

FA not involved in this sort of thing at all.
EFL are who I meant

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Not sure how I feel about that. O'Neil as a squad player to fill in when Lowe is inevitably suspended, okay. I only ever rated him for his energy and he lost that a while ago, but there you go. Cotterill is an okay player, but I don't think he improves us enough and he's way below what we were told we wanted.

At the start of the summer, sure. I had low expectations. Does no harm to take them on trial, but they're way below where I was hoping we were now aiming. If Cotterill is the one winger we want to sign, I'll worry. If O'Neil is the midfielder, then we are going to really lack depth.

I don't fancy being negative at the minute, so I'll wait and see.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Iles was quick to say he'd had no confirmation, just his guess from visual contact. O'Neil is, let's say, visually recognisable.

Apparently Lee Anderson denied a Cotterill link a couple of weeks ago.

More: "Sam Walker playing the second half in goal for Wanderers. Started at Chelsea, played at Colchester last season."

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:04 pm

If that's right, he might be a good one to get in. He's a good age and he's regarded as one of the best keepers below the Championship. He's been at Colchester a long time and there was stuff in the league football press about them trying to keep him. Their manager said at the time he'd been their stand-out performer for two seasons. He was their top earner and they wanted him to take a pay-cut, as I recall, so he left to find another offer. Think he won a number of awards in League One and was regarded as a very good player at that level before they went down two seasons back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:15 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:50 pm
Not sure how I feel about that. O'Neil as a squad player to fill in when Lowe is inevitably suspended, okay. I only ever rated him for his energy and he lost that a while ago, but there you go. Cotterill is an okay player, but I don't think he improves us enough and he's way below what we were told we wanted.

At the start of the summer, sure. I had low expectations. Does no harm to take them on trial, but they're way below where I was hoping we were now aiming. If Cotterill is the one winger we want to sign, I'll worry. If O'Neil is the midfielder, then we are going to really lack depth.

Really stinks of "well is dry"....

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Maybe Gary O'Neill's kid is playing?
Cotterill is about what I expected.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:59 pm

mullayo wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:41 pm
Maybe Gary O'Neill's kid is playing?
Cotterill is about what I expected.
At the start of the summer I'd have taken Cotterill, thinking we'd lose Sammy and be left very short. Having kept Sammy, I don't think Cotterill improves us over Noone and Buckley.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:15 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Really stinks of "well is dry"....
Ken's next letter to the fans - "Shut up and drink your sand."

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Prats has signed for Charlton, by the way.