Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:16 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:17 am

The trouble is that we're not even sure what system we'll be playing, so it's all guesswork at this stage. If we want to go 3-at-the-back then we suddenly need 3 more centre backs, if we're going with the old 4-3-3 then we have very different requirements. 4-4-2 changes things again.

I'm hoping for 4-3-3, given the players we have; but you'd have to imagine some of the youth players would then struggle to see the pitch. I'm thinking specifically of Hall, who looks like a pure striker and will be behind 3 senior pros (we hope).
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... -part-two/

Illes suggested a 3-5-2 because of Olki and Little being attacking FBs. So something like:
.................Alnwick------------------------
--------Whe-----Lowe-----Vers---------------
Olki---Ameobi--Vela--Ozzy----Buckley----
------------ALF-----Donaldson----------------

I prefer something like this
-------------Whe---------Evers---------------
-Olki---------Vela------Lowe------Antonee-
------Ameobi-----Ozzy------Buckley---------
---------------------ALF-------------------------
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:30 am

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:50 pm

mullayo wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:30 am
BOAZ IN THE HOOD?

http://the72.co.uk/109654/bolton-wander ... oalkeeper/
He'll be a pillar of strength... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:39 pm

mullayo wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:16 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:

The trouble is that we're not even sure what system we'll be playing, so it's all guesswork at this stage. If we want to go 3-at-the-back then we suddenly need 3 more centre backs, if we're going with the old 4-3-3 then we have very different requirements. 4-4-2 changes things again.

I'm hoping for 4-3-3, given the players we have; but you'd have to imagine some of the youth players would then struggle to see the pitch. I'm thinking specifically of Hall, who looks like a pure striker and will be behind 3 senior pros (we hope).

Illes suggested a 3-5-2 because of Olki and Little being attacking FBs. So something like:

I've forgotten whether I read it on here or elsewhere (I think it was on here) but apparently Olkowski lost his starting place at FC Köln because isn't an attacking full-back. Or at least, he's much more a full-back than a wing-back.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:35 pm

At present it seems like we're going to be heavily reliant on loans to add the requisite quality to the squad.

Last season overall the players we had in on loan were not good enough, and we need to be aiming higher this time around. There are a lot of really talented English players at the top PL teams who will be in need of game time, so hopefully the Andersons are speaking to the right people.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:50 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:39 pm
mullayo wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:16 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:

I've forgotten whether I read it on here or elsewhere (I think it was on here) but apparently Olkowski lost his starting place at FC Köln because isn't an attacking full-back. Or at least, he's much more a full-back than a wing-back.
Was here, I think, as I posted a report from a mate in Germany. The issue was that whilst he is an attacking fullback (apparently he can beat a player and has pace) he didn't impress as a wing back and Koln had to find a way to get Risse, their main midfielder, into the side. Risse ended up as right wingback and Olkowski got dropped and then released when they were relegated.

As far as I'm aware he still has a decent rep in Germany and he's very well known in Poland.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:27 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:35 pm
At present it seems like we're going to be heavily reliant on loans to add the requisite quality to the squad.

Last season overall the players we had in on loan were not good enough, and we need to be aiming higher this time around. There are a lot of really talented English players at the top PL teams who will be in need of game time, so hopefully the Andersons are speaking to the right people.
I've always said it's going to come down to loans. Parky wants 7, 3 or 4 will prolly be loans.
Once he gets his much-mentioned 'mystery Champ striker' that's only 2 or 3 spots.
If Hobbs signs only two.
If Boaz signs only one.
Leaving the last and I think experienced defensive mid is main priority.

As for loanees, getting Antonee back should be a priority. Speedy left wing, speedy centreback...

Projected depth chart (unproven youf in italics)

GK: Alnwick, 2) Boaz, Turner
CB: Wheater, Beevers, 1) Hobbs, 7) LOANEE??? Edwards, Brockbank
RB: Olki, Little, Darby, Chiori
LB: 5) Antonee???, Taylor, Muscatt
DM: 4)SIGNEE???, Lowe, Earring
AM: Oztumer, Vela, Pritchard,
RW: SAmeobi, Noone
LW: Will Buckley, 6) LOANEE???, Noone, Dennis Politic, Duke McKenna,
ST: 3) Champ Striker, ALF, Donaldson, Conor Hall,

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:47 pm

Squad something like these 23 + 9 youf?

2GK: Alnwick, 1) Boaz,
4CB: Wheater, Beevers, 2) Hobbs, 6) LOANEE
3RB: Olki, Little, Darby,
2LB: 5) Antonee, Taylor,
2DM: Lowe, 3) Rodwell,
2AM: Oztumer, Vela,
2RW: SAmeobi, Noone
2LW: Will Buckley, 7) LOANEE, Noone,
4ST: 4)Wyke or Garner, ALF, Donaldson, Conor Hall,

Marginal improvement on last year to be honest. Back half of field about the same. Need 'Mystery striker' to be as good as Madine and Lowe to be better than Henry/Pratley. Also need Oz to score at least six or seven.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:05 pm

I don't really see loans as being the answer, necessarily. Robinson was okay, but he's poor defensively and we'd be developing a player for another club's profit. Ideally I'd like to see us work hard to add permanent players. I get the feeling a lot of fans are so jaded and so negative that they view contracted players as liabilities rather than assets. We've had players on too much money and long contracts and we've got used to wanting players gone. We need to get back to thinking of resale value and player trading.

Having spoken to people and had a look at various options, there's more available out there than I'd realised this summer. When you look at players like Miquel Nelom and Stefan Stangl who are on frees and whose agents are looking to get them moves to the Championship, there are players in problem positions who could suit us very well.

Loans, if we use them, should have clauses allowing us to buy the player if we develop him. When you're just loaning youngsters to grow them for other clubs you're losing money. We are a lower league club and we have got to start developing and redeveloping players who we can then sell.

I think we still need 5 first team players. Loans won't cut it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:10 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:29 pm
First impressions from the Shay Stadium today...

Ozzy came on in the second half and looked bright. Good touch, runs really well and his vision is good.
Hobbs looks like he's barely played in two years. Great in the air, good reading etc but slow and overweight.
Donaldson and Alf combined well at times and seemed to understand each other.
Buckley did far better than I'd have expected and he and Vela were threats from midfield.
Not sure if Beevers gained a yard or Wheater lost one, but Mark looked the quicker of the two today.

Generally a load of hoofball with the odd bit of decent stuff, as you'd expect from a pre-season game against Halifax. Some of the new lads looked like they actually wanted to play some football and the old hands just kept hoofing it. Johnson, Pritchard and Ozzy won't be any use to anyone unless the ball is on the deck.
Thanks for this and other replies, but never mind all that. There was one debutant who might have a much longer Bolton career ahead of him... how was your lad's first away game? :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:14 pm

On the Boaz Myhill thing, I think that's a great move. He's an experienced player and is looking to coach when he retires, as I understand it. Having him in and working with Turner could improve that player. Myhill won't be demanding starts or U23s games, so Alnwick and Turner can both get some games at their relative levels and Myhill can be there in case we get a serious injury. Turner maybe comes in for the cups and starts to get himself ready for first team football, he could maybe even take a short loan move and we'll have an experienced lad covering.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:15 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:10 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:29 pm
First impressions from the Shay Stadium today...

Ozzy came on in the second half and looked bright. Good touch, runs really well and his vision is good.
Hobbs looks like he's barely played in two years. Great in the air, good reading etc but slow and overweight.
Donaldson and Alf combined well at times and seemed to understand each other.
Buckley did far better than I'd have expected and he and Vela were threats from midfield.
Not sure if Beevers gained a yard or Wheater lost one, but Mark looked the quicker of the two today.

Generally a load of hoofball with the odd bit of decent stuff, as you'd expect from a pre-season game against Halifax. Some of the new lads looked like they actually wanted to play some football and the old hands just kept hoofing it. Johnson, Pritchard and Ozzy won't be any use to anyone unless the ball is on the deck.
Thanks for this and other replies, but never mind all that. There was one debutant who might have a much longer Bolton career ahead of him... how was your lad's first away game? :D
Ha, he was bored witless in the last half hour but he enjoyed seeing the players and some of the goals. He's coming to Girona at Leyland to have another go and if he likes it I may get him a season ticket.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:45 pm

More gossip that we are competing with Sunderland and possibly Peterborough for the signing of Wyke, who might cost less than £1m.

Big test for Ken this imho. I think the signing of Wyke is crucial. Parky clearly wants a target man, Iles' Q&A suggested that this weekend, and Parky's comments post Halifax also suggest that. We can offer a better level of football, and therefore better career progression, and should be able to offer the highest wages. I can't think of any other target men out there who we can get. Sort it Ken!!

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... rlie-wyke/

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:52 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:45 pm
More gossip that we are competing with Sunderland and possibly Peterborough for the signing of Wyke, who might cost less than £1m.

Big test for Ken this imho. I think the signing of Wyke is crucial. Parky clearly wants a target man, Iles' Q&A suggested that this weekend, and Parky's comments post Halifax also suggest that. We can offer a better level of football, and therefore better career progression, and should be able to offer the highest wages. I can't think of any other target men out there who we can get. Sort it Ken!!

He does look to be the main target for Parky. I'm fine with it, to be honest. Looks a decent player, hard to say much until we see him in a white shirt for 40-odd games.

We absolutely do need a physical presence up front if Parky is going to keep playing the "industrial" football we've seen so far. Some reports in Greece that we've had a look at Robin Lod, but that he might move to Turkish football. Seems like this next week could see a few deals over the line, if Iles' comments are anything to go by.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:07 pm

For what it's worth, Lee Anderson's denied the Myhill link.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:57 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:07 pm
Oh well. Bound to be a lot of rumours around.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:05 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:15 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:10 pm
Ha, he was bored witless in the last half hour but he enjoyed seeing the players and some of the goals. He's coming to Girona at Leyland to have another go and if he likes it I may get him a season ticket.
Promising, then. I wish him a long and contented Wanderers-supporting life, gradually segueing into a time when he's taking you to the match. Far more important than the hoofers and chancers who pass through the shirt. Good luck to him and you.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:29 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:07 pm
Lee Anderson seems pretty good at denying rumours. Wish he was as good at signing players...

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:34 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Someone made a £500K bid already, Posh I think. Don't really see us getting in an auction type scenario. More like 'no money to see here, move on'.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:02 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:05 pm
I don't really see loans as being the answer, necessarily. Robinson was okay, but he's poor defensively and we'd be developing a player for another club's profit. Ideally I'd like to see us work hard to add permanent players. I get the feeling a lot of fans are so jaded and so negative that they view contracted players as liabilities rather than assets. We've had players on too much money and long contracts and we've got used to wanting players gone. We need to get back to thinking of resale value and player trading.

Having spoken to people and had a look at various options, there's more available out there than I'd realised this summer. When you look at players like Miquel Nelom and Stefan Stangl who are on frees and whose agents are looking to get them moves to the Championship, there are players in problem positions who could suit us very well.

Loans, if we use them, should have clauses allowing us to buy the player if we develop him. When you're just loaning youngsters to grow them for other clubs you're losing money. We are a lower league club and we have got to start developing and redeveloping players who we can then sell.

I think we still need 5 first team players. Loans won't cut it.
Obviously in an ideal world. But we're cash strapped and LeeAn can't seem to get any signatures over the line...

3 weeks ago Mystery Champ striker on the cards - No-one...
2 weeks ago, Illes predicted "a couple of signings by the weekend" - Nothing...
Mystery player spotted at Lofton pre-season training - Nowt...
Hooking up with a few other targets in Scotland - Och nay...
Lee Anderson's holiday buddy Joao Tex all-but guaranteed according to foreign media - Nada...
A week ago we had "One signing was close to completion on Friday, and a couple of others have progressed during the weekend..." - nothing there either.

Olki midweek out of the blue but mostly the rumours just evaporate... and we bite at the next, like a dumb-ass donkey at a dangling carrot.
Monday expect Illes or NIxon to announce we're closing in on a couple of deals... Meanwhile,maybe we start looking at Prem team fringe starter loanees.