Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:27 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Played down Brighton still sniffing around I should have said.
Interesting you think he's playing it down, TG. I didn't read it that way at all. Sounds more wearily resigned to me.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... a-connell/
Think he means on twitter......

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:52 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:27 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Played down Brighton still sniffing around I should have said.
Interesting you think he's playing it down, TG. I didn't read it that way at all. Sounds more wearily resigned to me.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... a-connell/
Think he means on twitter......
Ah! Fair enough, I haven't looked. Carry on, everyone, you're all doing very well

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:34 am

Marvin Emnes on trial. Pointless - he’s barely played football in 18 months so won’t be fit, be just like that Nigerian last season (which Parky said we won’t do again). Why not give Hall a go or one of the other younger lads. Rather develop our own for next season.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:08 am

Parky scraping the barrel.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:09 am

Jugs wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:08 am
What is he meant to do?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:29 am

Prepare us for next season.
But he won’t be here I guess.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:33 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:29 am
Prepare us for next season.
But he won’t be here I guess.
There is no preparing for next season. Everyone is treading water until we go pop or the club is sold.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:09 am
Jugs wrote:
What is he meant to do?
Haha there's not much he can do. He brought it on himself.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:46 am

Jugs wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:43 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:
What is he meant to do?
Nonsense. The club is either sold very rapidly or will go into admin (or worse). The idea that given we've spent the past three years selling our better players whilst spending way less than the owner has taken in consultancy is down to the manager is laughable. We're a basket case - in exactly the same place as when Ken arrived - needing a bailout takeover to keep trading.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:46 am
Jugs wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:
What is he meant to do?
Nonsense. The club is either sold very rapidly or will go into admin (or worse). The idea that given we've spent the past three years selling our better players whilst spending way less than the owner has taken in consultancy is down to the manager is laughable. We're a basket case - in exactly the same place as when Ken arrived - needing a bailout takeover to keep trading.
Well, I was referring to his inability/refusal to use his best striker and then flogging him

And now - in desperation - he has to try and land ex-jail birds or strikers who haven't played for 18 months

It's just depressing to watch unfold mate

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:23 am

Jugs wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:55 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:
What is he meant to do?
Well, I was referring to his inability/refusal to use his best striker and then flogging him

And now - in desperation - he has to try and land ex-jail birds or strikers who haven't played for 18 months

That has never happened though has it?

The best striker we've had at the club under Parky was sold for £6M quid and Parky had no say in it.

If you're referring to Alf - he wanted to leave for a great opportunity. He put a transfer request in because he wanted to take his family there for the lifestyle. He was also a player that was hard to fit into any system other than 2 up front and we simply aren't close to good enough to play 2 up front week in week out as we are seeing now.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:23 am
Jugs wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:
What is he meant to do?

The best striker we've had at the club under Parky was sold for £6M quid and Parky had no say in it.

If you're referring to Alf - he wanted to leave for a great opportunity. He put a transfer request in because he wanted to take his family there for the lifestyle. He was also a player that was hard to fit into any system other than 2 up front and we simply aren't close to good enough to play 2 up front week in week out as we are seeing now.
When Madine left, Alf became our best striker by a mile. He played a huge part in keeping us up against Forest.

Parky then brought in a league one clogger with no Champo experience, and basically told Alf he was again the second (or maybe even third choice).

Alf was released from his contract early (he wanted to leave, but we didn't HAVE to let him go), and we've scored about 2 goals since then.

And now Parky is, as I said, left scraping the barrel.

And all of that - whether or not Alf fitted the system (a system that doesn't even work) - is depressing to watch. We have limited firepower, we need goals, and we're turning to Emnes. It's just shit lol

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:39 am

Jugs wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:33 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:23 am
Jugs wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:
What is he meant to do?

When Madine left, Alf became our best striker by a mile. He played a huge part in keeping us up against Forest.

Parky then brought in a league one clogger with no Champo experience, and basically told Alf he was again the second (or maybe even third choice).

Alf was released from his contract early (he wanted to leave, but we didn't HAVE to let him go), and we've scored about 2 goals since then.

And now Parky is, as I said, left scraping the barrel.

And all of that - whether or not Alf fitted the system (a system that doesn't even work) - is depressing to watch. We have limited firepower, we need goals, and we're turning to Emnes. It's just shit lol
But you're being unrealistic. ALF was going. We had no choice. He wasn't in truth good enough to be a mainline championship striker - hence why nobody wanted him in this league and what he's now in Australia.

If Parky had a choice he'd have kept him. But in real life you don't always have a choice. Turning down his request would have been counter-productive.

Especially when a few months later he'd be getting his wages late....

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:43 am

There's no point arguing about Alf anymore. The point is, we're scraping the barrel for strikers.

That said, if Emnes arrives, I'll be the first to get behind him because he'll be a White

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Jugs wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:43 am
There's no point arguing about Alf anymore. The point is, we're scraping the barrel for strikers.

That said, if Emnes arrives, I'll be the first to get behind him because he'll be a White
There's no point signing anyone now. The club can't pay its next lot of wages and is in winding up proceedings come March. Adding to the costs is counter-productive.

The only thing that matters is whether Ken can sell and then whether the new owner can actually fund the football club on an ongoing basis. At the very least to keep us going, ideally to let us be competitive in league one. Huge questions. Who we have playing up front in the meantime to me is pretty irrelevant.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:39 am
But you're being unrealistic. ALF was going. We had no choice.
Had he been playing with any sort of regularity then I suspect we may have wanted to stay.

He may or may not have been good enough, but he would almost certainly have been more productive in getting us goals than anyone we have or have had since. The system needed to get any goals out of him couldn't have produced less points than we have "gained" since.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 pm
Jugs wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:43 am

There's no point signing anyone now. The club can't pay its next lot of wages and is in winding up proceedings come March. Adding to the costs is counter-productive.
Obviously Ken and Phil disagree with you, and I can see why. It'd hardly be "pointless", literally and metaphorically, if we could sign someone whose goals won the next five games, on a relatively low-cost short-term contract (and for an unemployed player in his thirties we may be looking at less than five grand a week, and with our reputation it wouldn't get paid until autumn), and the increased likelihood of Championship survival helped push through a sale.

Granted, it's an if so big its gravitational pull could warp the fabric of space-time, but again I don't see the need for the monochrome didactic certainty with which possibilities are rejected.

I get that we're in debt and the vultures are circling, but considering the size of the existing debt and the takeover numbers being discussed, some gambles might just be worth taking. Perhaps not on Emnes, but on someone.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:51 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:39 am
But you're being unrealistic. ALF was going. We had no choice.
Had he been playing with any sort of regularity then I suspect we may have wanted to stay.

He may or may not have been good enough, but he would almost certainly have been more productive in getting us goals than anyone we have or have had since. The system needed to get any goals out of him couldn't have produced less points than we have "gained" since.
That isn't what ALF says. I mean look at it this way....he gets a call out of the blue from Australia - speaks to his family - they fancy it - he fancies it.....even if he was a guaranteed starter here - his choice is a relegation battle in Bolton or sign off his career and start a new life in Sydney....

The real life situation is - that isn't a hard choice. He didn't go there because of football. He went there because it offered his family something brand new.

I agree that we'd be better off with him here - absolutely but the gain isn't all that much given we'd struggle to accomodate him. And he hadn't ripped up trees in his championship stints at Wigan and Wolves either - he's better than what we've got now for sure - but the reality is he was wanting to go. We'd have been dicks to stop him.

It should also be remembered this was all happening against the backdrop of Ken promising "substantial money" for another striker - and seemingly we were making live bids. Its easy to say we shouldn't have let him go and had a sulking Le Fondre hanging around but at the time the picture looked very different in many ways.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:35 pm

Letting him go and get a tan is a lovely gesture and we might have looked like dicks had we stopped him.

Problem is, from a business and football point of view, it was reckless. We don't look like dicks but instead we're on our way down and the fans are bored to death by the lack of goals or excitement. We now don't have his goals to turn to, from the bench or otherwise. Had he stayed, he'd probably have scored at least 5 or 6 goals at this stage of the season, and that contribution could have grabbed us an extra - crucial - few points.

As it is, he's loving life while we're on our way down and breaking goalscoring records along the way. Yay.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:43 pm

Jugs wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:35 pm
Letting him go and get a tan is a lovely gesture and we might have looked like dicks had we stopped him.

Problem is, from a business and football point of view, it was reckless. We don't look like dicks but instead we're on our way down and the fans are bored to death by the lack of goals or excitement. We now don't have his goals to turn to, from the bench or otherwise. Had he stayed, he'd probably have scored at least 5 or 6 goals at this stage of the season, and that contribution could have grabbed us an extra - crucial - few points.

As it is, he's loving life while we're on our way down and breaking goalscoring records along the way. Yay.
Reckless, Jugs, Bolton reckless.....impossible. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?