Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:54 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:51 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:47 pm
To me the best striker we've had "potentially" in my time is Ricketts. People will say Eidur, Anelka etc and yes they were better players as they reached the peak. But potential wise Ricketts had everything. Power, strength, pace, finishing, movement - he was a complete modern striker. Had he not completely lacked application.
That's a thread in itself. I'd say Anelka was, at one stage, one of the top strikers in Europe without fully applying himself. I'd say he was miles beyond Ricketts.

Ricketts absolutely wasted his career, though. He could have been a real player in the Premier League.
Yeah I mean technique wise sure. But Ricketts could score headers. Don't think Anelka was scoring many of those.

Anelka reached a higher level for sure. But potential wise Ricketts was everything you'd want. His attitude was the major issue.

Those who knew Anelka here said he had a great attitude and was just a quiet lad who was completely misunderstood. So I suspect he did apply himself.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:54 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
To me the best striker we've had "potentially" in my time is Ricketts. People will say Eidur, Anelka etc and yes they were better players as they reached the peak. But potential wise Ricketts had everything. Power, strength, pace, finishing, movement - he was a complete modern striker. Had he not completely lacked application.
That's a thread in itself. I'd say Anelka was, at one stage, one of the top strikers in Europe without fully applying himself. I'd say he was miles beyond Ricketts.

Ricketts absolutely wasted his career, though. He could have been a real player in the Premier League.
Yeah I mean technique wise sure. But Ricketts could score headers. Don't think Anelka was scoring many of those.

Anelka reached a higher level for sure. But potential wise Ricketts was everything you'd want. His attitude was the major issue.

Those who knew Anelka here said he had a great attitude and was just a quiet lad who was completely misunderstood. So I suspect he did apply himself.
Nic was a good lad, but he was never driven to be the best player in the world. He was so much better than any other player around him all the way up through youth the teams that he maybe never had to really push himself. He was the most talented striker France had during a time when France had the most talented strikers in the world, but he was never the best they had.

I'm not saying he was a bad pro, but if he'd had a Ronaldo work ethic he'd have been unplayable.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Wilson announced. Happy enough with him as a squad member, but need younger, sprightlier signings if we're to push on.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:04 pm

Put it this way, he's a utility player and a huge, huge upgrade over the useless Derik.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:50 pm

The fact Wilson has signed a one year deal probably means he's being brought in as cover and we're well aware that he's a risk.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:56 pm

Wilson signing before Hobbs is telling. If we get Hbbbs, Hoban as well the correct collective noun for our backs is crockpot' A crockpot of Bolton defenders."

As Ghost said all our potential signings this year have a fingers-crossed caluse coming with best and worst case scenarios and not much grey area in between.
If' Wilson is over his injuries and doesn't "run like he's wearing wellies" "on the wrong feet" he's a good signing.
Last edited by mullayo on Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:58 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:50 pm
The fact Wilson has signed a one year deal probably means he's being brought in as cover and we're well aware that he's a risk.
Also suggests we've given up on better prospects or he'd have been bought into the fold earlier. If we'd signed him after two or three weeks training instead of out of the blue I'd feel more comfortable.
What could've happened; did.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:02 pm

mullayo wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:58 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:50 pm
Also suggests we've given up on better prospects or he'd have been bought into the fold earlier. If we'd signed him after two or three weeks training instead of out of the blue I'd feel more comfortable.
He'll fill a similar role in the squad to Milligan. Maybe we wrote him off after his agent's comments?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:04 pm

Wilson may get a role in midfield. He played left back all last season - a position we only have one other player for.

I suspect as it stands he won't play CB much. IF we sign Hobbs.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:07 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:59 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Nic was a good lad, but he was never driven to be the best player in the world. He was so much better than any other player around him all the way up through youth the teams that he maybe never had to really push himself. He was the most talented striker France had during a time when France had the most talented strikers in the world, but he was never the best they had.

I'm not saying he was a bad pro, but if he'd had a Ronaldo work ethic he'd have been unplayable.
Insano's argument seems to be that Ricketts had more potential because he ended up not as good...

Anelka is 3 months younger than Ricketts. Just as Michael was getting ready to have his breakthrough season at Walsall, Nicholas moved to Real Madrid at 20 for the price of a training ground. Ricketts is a certain what if, he could have been so much more than he was, but you're off your head to compare his potential to Anelkas.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:04 pm
Wilson may get a role in midfield. He played left back all last season - a position we only have one other player for.

I suspect as it stands he won't play CB much. IF we sign Hobbs.
Hopefully not LB, we need pace there, Taylor can do "solid". Rumours linking Everton with every LB under the sun so assume we're on the phone about Robinson every day.

Wilson will be a Champo Tom Thorpe I reckon. CB cover, CM cover, chuck him off the bench to defend a lead.

Always seemed a good pro to have around but last two years are a worry.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:07 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Insano's argument seems to be that Ricketts had more potential because he ended up not as good...

Anelka is 3 months younger than Ricketts. Just as Michael was getting ready to have his breakthrough season at Walsall, Nicholas moved to Real Madrid at 20 for the price of a training ground. Ricketts is a certain what if, he could have been so much more than he was, but you're off your head to compare his potential to Anelkas.
In terms of attributes he had the lot. Of course realising that is totally different. I'm not suggesting that. Just that if he'd been focussed at a young age and developed and worked he had the chance to play for any team in the world. He COULD have been that good. He never was, but that is IMO nothing to do with physical raw talent.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:16 pm

If we deploy Wilson at left back for a whole campaign then we're nuts. Parky has said he wants to improve every position, that's a step backwards. He might be a step up as a holding player.

We need pace, as Prufrock said, at fullback. Olkowski looks a real player. Need a match for him on the left. If Robinson is there to be had, okay - but we need bodies in. Stefan Stangl, Miquel Nelom, Antonee Robinson...get who is available.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:32 pm

Wilson ended the season playing left back, but I am pretty sure for most of his games he played either central defence or holding midfield. Oviedo was the left back/left wing back for most of the season.

I am hopeful he will play centrally for us when/if he does play...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:37 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:16 pm
If we deploy Wilson at left back for a whole campaign then we're nuts. Parky has said he wants to improve every position, that's a step backwards. He might be a step up as a holding player.

We need pace, as Prufrock said, at fullback. Olkowski looks a real player. Need a match for him on the left. If Robinson is there to be had, okay - but we need bodies in. Stefan Stangl, Miquel Nelom, Antonee Robinson...get who is available.
Not saying that. He's cover for those areas for now. We might go into West Brom without a LB signed. Or one fit enough to play. So at least there is a cover option for that position now.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:41 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:32 pm
Wilson ended the season playing left back, but I am pretty sure for most of his games he played either central defence or holding midfield. Oviedo was the left back/left wing back for most of the season.

I am hopeful he will play centrally for us when/if he does play...
I watched Sunderland a couple of times over the festive period (mate is a fan) and Wilson was alongside O'Shea at the back, as I recall. Seemed to have the same issues that Beevers and Wheater do, no pace at all and both wanted to do the same thing - go forward and win the ball. They looked a bit better when Browning went into the middle, because he played on the cover. That was my take on it anyway.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:37 pm
Not saying that. He's cover for those areas for now. We might go into West Brom without a LB signed. Or one fit enough to play. So at least there is a cover option for that position now.
I wasn't critiquing you, just a general musing. I agree that Wilson's versatility is a definite asset to the squad - he's just not a left back. Then again, Paul Robinson played his entire career at left back and he wasn't even a footballer.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:11 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:07 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

In terms of attributes he had the lot. Of course realising that is totally different. I'm not suggesting that. Just that if he'd been focussed at a young age and developed and worked he had the chance to play for any team in the world. He COULD have been that good. He never was, but that is IMO nothing to do with physical raw talent.
I don't hugely disagree but I think you're reaching a bit.

Firstly, I don't think Ricketts was ever quite good enough for the very very top level. Top-6 ish I reckon though it's finger in the air.

But main point is similar arguments apply to Anelka even more. He tore the Prem apart at 18. Moved to Real at 20. He should've been the best in the world. He reckons his best position is #10 but he never got played there because he was so good through the middle. Which all round is very Nicholas Anelka.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:16 pm

Aye. That Wilson can play LB is a bonus but I hope he hasn't been signed to play there.

On the LB front it's possible (I'm in no way ITK) that a Robinson deal is done they just won't sign off until they get their LB.

Hope so, think he's potentially one for good value. Don't think he'll make it at Everton, got all the modern full back business. Parky improved him and if Everton let him go we might be well placed. I know some are wary of loans and developing other teams' players but worth pointing out that Burnley got Trippier, Mee and Keane permanently after loans.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:51 pm
Aye. That Wilson can play LB is a bonus but I hope he hasn't been signed to play there.

On the LB front it's possible (I'm in no way ITK) that a Robinson deal is done they just won't sign off until they get their LB.

Hope so, think he's potentially one for good value. Don't think he'll make it at Everton, got all the modern full back business. Parky improved him and if Everton let him go we might be well placed. I know some are wary of loans and developing other teams' players but worth pointing out that Burnley got Trippier, Mee and Keane permanently after loans.
I've no idea, but if there's a done deal "so long as" then we're taking a risk. I'd assume that's not the case, given that we've had agents for left backs say we've made offers. Would be odd if we had a deal done.