Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:58 pm

Another issue is that we may change a few targets if Alf and Beevers go to Scotland. Suddenly you have a bit of cash and maybe you can get a player that was out of reach before. Does that mean you hold off in case you get a bid, or do you do your work and then watch the cash disappear into a black hole like the Madine money?

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:36 pm

https://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2018/07/2 ... -link.html

No Chungy return then as he can't get a work permit.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:04 pm
Wilson may get a role in midfield. He played left back all last season - a position we only have one other player for.

I suspect as it stands he won't play CB much. IF we sign Hobbs.
181 Premier League games.Played centreback (83 games), leftback (75 games) and defensive mid (16 games).
I think he'll play left CB if Beevers goes cause he is supposedly two footed - though both have wellies on.
And Ghost, I would have preferred Milligan as a DM first.
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:40 pm

Riviman wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:36 pm
https://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2018/07/2 ... -link.html

No Chungy return then as he can't get a work permit.
Is LeeAn twatting as Superagent73? :shock: :whack: :roll: :oops: :spank:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:46 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:58 pm
Another issue is that we may change a few targets if Alf and Beevers go to Scotland. Suddenly you have a bit of cash and maybe you can get a player that was out of reach before. Does that mean you hold off in case you get a bid, or do you do your work and then watch the cash disappear into a black hole like the Madine money?
Not agreeing or disagreeing, just raising a view. And what exactly are we going to get for the sort of cash we'll be parting with two decent players for? The Weavers, (lest we forget after one struggling season) got fifteen of our goals between them (central defenders) a season ago, and I'm not sure the cash wouldn't follow the Madine route and pay bills rather than dividends. Alf can be a real game changer with some decent players aound him and "all change at Horwich Parkway" needs some proving . We're not going to turn beggarman united into Real Madrid by daydreaming. Keep the solid players, we've got rid of enough of supposed deadwood and high earners and we're still not out of the swamp by some way. Let's not get carrried awy with the club itself on the auctioneers table.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:46 pm
Not agreeing or disagreeing, just raising a view. And what exactly are we going to get for the sort of cash we'll be parting with two decent players for? The Weavers, (lest we forget after one struggling season) got fifteen of our goals between them (central defenders) a season ago, and I'm not sure the cash wouldn't follow the Madine route and pay bills rather than dividends. Alf can be a real game changer with some decent players aound him and "all change at Horwich Parkway" needs some proving . We're not going to turn beggarman united into Real Madrid by daydreaming. Keep the solid players, we've got rid of enough of supposed deadwood and high earners and we're still not out of the swamp by some way. Let's not get carrried awy with the club itself on the auctioneers table.
Alf and Beevers are both solid Championship players. I actually think Beevers is a better centre back than Wheater, despite some poor showings last season. However, Alf is clearly not someone Parky thinks of as a first team player and Beevers and Wheater can't play together effectively over a season.

I'd keep Alf at the club, because a player worth a few goals a season off the bench is a valuable asset - but if Alf wants to move on over lack of football (which has been mooted) then a decent bid for a squad player might tempt Parky. Same with Beevers. If Wheater remains the main central defender and the choice is who partners him, then Beevers has no value in 12 months when he leaves on a free to find regular games. This is the last chance the club has to make money from either and neither is vital to Parky's plans, it seems.

IF (big if) we could bring in a couple of million for them, then we might well be able to turn that into a couple of players Parky fancies as first team players and pay a few bills into the bargain. My view isn't that that's the best plan, just that I could easily see it happening. I don't see the club turning away decent cash for those players.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:16 am
I bet Phil and Ken are reading this thread and taking notes.... :wink:

Hey Tango remember this from the first page of this thread?
Funny thing is we signed two of the names mentioned above there so far (Oztumer and Wilson)! :shock:

It's like RAAAIIIIN on your wedding day, it's a freeeee ride when you've already paid, it's the good advice, you just didn't take....

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:10 pm

When is this Guileless match? I want to start reading things into the teamsheet that aren't actually there?
I expect we'll sign Walker afterwards. And if we sign Hobbs, it'll be a sure sign Beevers is for the old beeve-ho!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:13 pm

For anyone who has a mind, Sunderland have full match replays archived on their website. I've given myself some paternity leave, so I'm currently on my second game watching Wilson. First was him being torn to bits as a left back against Fulham. Looking better thus far as a centre back, alongside Browning, against Reading. Anyone else with nothing better to do before Guiseley could give it a look...or watch some paint dry. Your choice.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:16 pm

mullayo wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:10 pm
When is this Guileless match? I want to start reading things into the teamsheet that aren't actually there?
I expect we'll sign Walker afterwards. And if we sign Hobbs, it'll be a sure sign Beevers is for the old beeve-ho!
Kick off is 7:45. There's some on-street parking near the cricket club, if you're going.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:18 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:13 pm
For anyone who has a mind, Sunderland have full match replays archived on their website. I've given myself some paternity leave, so I'm currently on my second game watching Wilson. First was him being torn to bits as a left back against Fulham. Looking better thus far as a centre back, alongside Browning, against Reading. Anyone else with nothing better to do before Guiseley could give it a look...or watch some paint dry. Your choice.
I remember watching that Fulham match, it was live on Sky. From memory, Sunderland looked a good team in that game, especially in the first half. Was it Aboubakar Kamara on the right side for Fulham? He rips a lot of left sided defenders apart, usually before diving and trying to win a penalty...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:25 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:18 pm
I remember watching that Fulham match, it was live on Sky. From memory, Sunderland looked a good team in that game, especially in the first half. Was it Aboubakar Kamara on the right side for Fulham? He rips a lot of left sided defenders apart, usually before diving and trying to win a penalty...
Kamara came on part way through the first half aand he and Fredricks were allowed to double-up on Wilson. However, they didn't force him to fall on his arse half a dozen times and show no real desire to make blocks. I think it was a case of the manager being tactically clueless and the player getting sick of it all after an hour.

So far against Reading he's commanding the back four and make good decisions. He has Browning and Oviedo to do his running for him, though.

*edit* It's Kone, not Browning.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 pm

Sheff Utd have signed McGoldrick.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:12 pm

palindromeofbolton wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 pm
Sheff Utd have signed McGoldrick.
Decent footballer. Good signing on a free.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Well, that was a non-starter. Got to the top of the road and my little lad announced he felt sick. Looks like some new trialists tonight. Gutted.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:45 pm

mullayo wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:07 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:16 am
I bet Phil and Ken are reading this thread and taking notes.... :wink:

Hey Tango remember this from the first page of this thread?
Funny thing is we signed two of the names mentioned above there so far (Oztumer and Wilson)! :shock:
i]It's like RAAAIIIIN on your wedding day, it's a freeeee ride when you've already paid, it's the good advice, you just didn't take....[/i]
I think I'm just suffering pre-season nerves and frustrations. Big Sam said we had no ambition as a club, but it's one thing to be ambitious and another not to have the finance for it. I'm sure Ken A has the clubs interest at heart, but interest on funds is his primary world. It'll all come out in the wash no doubt... ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:58 pm

Some bloke called "Trialist" on the bench tonight. Odd sort of a name. Williams, Hobbs and O'Neil start

That's Ben Williams, by the way.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:08 pm

Iles is reporting that Sam Walker, who we had on trial, has been signed by Reading.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Williams is 35 and couldn't get in Blackpool's team last season. Very underwhelming.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:29 pm

Turner has been sent out on loan to Stalybridge Celtic. We officially have no cover for Alnwick.