Pre-Season Fixtures 2018

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Pre-Season Fixtures 2018

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Not unexpected. Presumably I'm the only person who booked in advance.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/p ... -friendly/

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:48 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:53 pm
Not unexpected. Presumably I'm the only person who booked in advance.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/p ... -friendly/
No you're not..I did too

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:44 am

Anyone going to the Girona game?
Give us a match report PlEASE! Pretty please.
Focussing on Ireland, Hobbs, Walker, of course
What could've happened; did.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:28 am

mullayo wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:44 am
Anyone going to the Girona game?
Give us a match report PlEASE! Pretty please.
Focussing on Ireland, Hobbs, Walker, of course
Seconded. Twilight is usually good for a comment or two. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:10 pm

Okay, suitably chastised for posting in the wrong thread. Second half underway and Buckley replaces Wildschut

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Had to go out, came back to a 0-0 finish but apparently a lot of subs, we played well and the crowd enjoyed it. Nowt won, nowt lost and a good test for the players. Fair do's.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:23 pm

Looks like a decent shift and performance was had, simply going off Twitter and MI's coverage. Sounds as though Noone was quite lively, Vela was up for it, and Little had a couple of good attacking plays down the wing in the second half.

I have to say I'm a fan of Litts... more so going forward and his link-up with Sammy than his defending. Depending on how many out-and-out CBs we end up with, and on Hobbs-Wheavers injuries/suspensions over the season, could The Olk play at CB with Litts RB?

Just a cameo appearance for Hobbs at the end. Reckon that mean another look wasn't required before offering him a deal...

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Ended up going to the Girona game as I was up north.

It was a good game. We had the better chances, they kept the ball better.

First half was 4-2-3-1 with the team as follows: Alnwick; Olkowski, Wheater, Beevers, Taylor; Lowe, O'Neil; Noone, Vela, WIldschutt; Donaldson. Vela was quite advanced and close to Donaldson.

We had the better chances, with first Wildschutt missing a very presentable chance with a header from about six yards out that he put over. Then Donaldson got on the end of Noone's pass out wide, burst into the area and was brought down for a penalty. Donaldson took it and placed it in the corner but at a nice height and the keeper made a good full length diving save. Then Vela missed a sitter after cleverly beating a defender following a quick throw in. They had a couple of good efforts with one 25 yard volley in particular bringing the best out of Alnwick.

2nd half, Buckley came on for Wildschutt at half time, then Little for Olkowski, Ameobi for Noone, ALF for Donaldson, Darby for Taylor, Pritchard for O'Neil, Hobbs for Beevers. Alnwick, Wheater, Lowe and Vela all completed the 90. The formation changed slightly with Vela dropping a bit deeper and forming a defined three in the centre. ALF hit the post late on when he outpaced the defence to get on the end of Ameobi's long pass . They also had a clear cut one on one that Alnwick saved.

For me the stand out performers were Donaldson and Olkowski. Donaldson looks fit and athletic and does the Madine job of challenging for the hoofs from defence, albeit probably not quite as well, but also pulls into the channels and has enough pace to get on the end of passes over the top and can go past defenders when he gets it. Looks a decent all round striker and his scoring record suggests he is capable of putting a chance away. He didn't really get a clear chance today apart from his penalty.

Olkowski looks pretty quick, is athletic and good in the air. He seems very solid defensively.

I watched us at Fleetwood in the same stage of pre-season last year and this was a huge improvement. We look quite competent based on this, and if last year is anything to go by there is a big chance that the team and formation will be close to what starts at West Brom. The only slight concern I have based on today. is that Lowe and O'Neil were a two in midfield, and Lowe doesn't look a pure defensive midfielder. Good teams might find space in between the defence and the midfield. No evidence of that today however, although Girona looked behind us in terms of physical fitness.

One other thing, no sign of Oztumer today.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:18 pm

palindromeofbolton wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:23 pm
Looks like a decent shift and performance was had, simply going off Twitter and MI's coverage. Sounds as though Noone was quite lively, Vela was up for it, and Little had a couple of good attacking plays down the wing in the second half.

I have to say I'm a fan of Litts... more so going forward and his link-up with Sammy than his defending. Depending on how many out-and-out CBs we end up with, and on Hobbs-Wheavers injuries/suspensions over the season, could The Olk play at CB with Litts RB?

Just a cameo appearance for Hobbs at the end. Reckon that mean another look wasn't required before offering him a deal...
Noone was lively, but we also saw the bad side of him. He's a great player so long as no opposition player is within 6 yards. As soon as you close him down he doesn't want to know.

Olkowski was excellent, to my eye. Looks better than any fullback we've had in some time, though that's judging off a friendly so who knows.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Like the look of Olkowski, he was solid, not shy of going in for challenges, but quick as well.. Donaldson looked ok, got round his defender for the penalty, and good in the air. Not too sure on Gary O'Neil, maybe he needs more game time, but for me he was struggling a bit after 30 mins. We definitely need a left back as I'm not confident with just Taylor as 1st choice at the moment and it went a bit pear shaped on that side when Darby came on with Buckley just in front of him. But overall it was an interesting game, just a bit disappointed that Oztumer wasn't playing

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:20 pm

I'm planning on attending the Guiseley game on Tuesday. Do we know if it's U23s or the main lot?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:14 am

The Girona game was a fairly sobering look that whilst we've clearly added some solid championship players, we've not managed to increase the goals in the side and still we'll play a system that won't include Le Fondre. We looked fit and organised and that is a good start I guess.

And we did create chances that we missed. So encouraging again. But Girona played in 2nd gear all game and we still have the worry of "where are the goals coming from".

Olkowski looked far too good for us. A really competitive right back but also with some quality on the ball. Wildschut looked like he will be brilliant one minute then garbage the next. Noone looked sharp, but still not sure he fits into a system we'll play that well.

We have options going forward now, but have to add a striker in.

Also if we end up deciding that O'Neil is the answer to any question then we might as well pack up and set destination league one on our sat navs. A good experienced head sure. But not as good as Henry and didn't add much presence in there.

Lowe looks tidy but for me he needs a proper partner. He's not as commanding as I'd hoped. More of a ratter and a runner.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:15 pm

word is that Henry will be back for next season on a 12 month deal
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:14 am
The Girona game was a fairly sobering look that whilst we've clearly added some solid championship players, we've not managed to increase the goals in the side and still we'll play a system that won't include Le Fondre. We looked fit and organised and that is a good start I guess.

And we did create chances that we missed. So encouraging again. But Girona played in 2nd gear all game and we still have the worry of "where are the goals coming from".

Olkowski looked far too good for us. A really competitive right back but also with some quality on the ball. Wildschut looked like he will be brilliant one minute then garbage the next. Noone looked sharp, but still not sure he fits into a system we'll play that well.

Also if we end up deciding that O'Neil is the answer to any question then we might as well pack up and set destination league one on our sat navs. A good experienced head sure. But not as good as Henry and didn't add much presence in there.

Lowe looks tidy but for me he needs a proper partner. He's not as commanding as I'd hoped. More of a ratter and a runner.
Yes I think Wildschutt will be very frustrating. He looks like he can use his pace to burst past people easily, but his touch was at times heavy and it is hard to make consistently good decisions traveling at that pace. I think he will lose it in good positions a lot, but overall he will still probably be more productive than what we had there last season.

I don't think Lowe will be that effective. We need better. I hope Boris is right and we re-sign Henry, and/or we get Milligan. If we are really going to rely on Lowe and O'Neil in there we will be in serious trouble.

I thought Pritchard looked very promising during his 20 minute appearance. Seemed to have a good first and second touch, and decent awareness. I hope he will be a bonus as the season progresses.

Overall, the midfield is now really important, at least as important as getting another striker. Right now we have some good ability going forward but that won't matter if we can't protect our dodgy central defence or get the ball into the attacking players.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:51 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:38 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:14 am

Yes I think Wildschutt will be very frustrating. He looks like he can use his pace to burst past people easily, but his touch was at times heavy and it is hard to make consistently good decisions traveling at that pace. I think he will lose it in good positions a lot, but overall he will still probably be more productive than what we had there last season.

I don't think Lowe will be that effective. We need better. I hope Boris is right and we re-sign Henry, and/or we get Milligan. If we are really going to rely on Lowe and O'Neil in there we will be in serious trouble.

I thought Pritchard looked very promising during his 20 minute appearance. Seemed to have a good first and second touch, and decent awareness. I hope he will be a bonus as the season progresses.

Overall, the midfield is now really important, at least as important as getting another striker. Right now we have some good ability going forward but that won't matter if we can't protect our dodgy central defence or get the ball into the attacking players.
Agreed. Centre midfield is critical and looks weak. Up front we need a striker who can hold it up and also score some goals.

Dondaldson is a cracking back up, but at 34, not the main man. Also he suits running channels more than he does being a target as he is not great in the air.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:47 pm

For me, our Central Defense needs major fixing. We leaked goals at an alarming rate last season and currently we have the same duo as our only pairing. Need 2 stronger players in.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:53 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:47 pm
For me, our Central Defense needs major fixing. We leaked goals at an alarming rate last season and currently we have the same duo as our only pairing. Need 2 stronger players in.
The whole team needed fixing. We are one player off fixing the flanks (left back). The spine is still the worry.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:14 pm

Guiseley 2-0 BWFC after 22 mins.

A starting XI of Williams, Olkowski, Hobbs, Darby, Little, O’Neil, Pritchard, Ameobi, Buckley, Le Fondre, Hall.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:37 pm

4-4-2 with no pace through the middle. Even a Conference North side can play against that.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:43 pm

Little LB and Darby CB?? :|