Who's going down to League One in 2019? Bolton?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Who's going down to League One in 2019? Bolton?

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:47 pm

They're already officially called "Hull City Tigers" now, as I understand it. It's also their website name. He wanted to drop the "City" part too.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:24 pm

mullayo wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:08 am
Enoch wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:36 am
mullayo wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:07 am
I agree about Hull there is a lot of negativity between fans and management
?
Their owners are the new Venky's been cutting corners and not spending. Fans are getting disgruntled at lack of spending.
I was looking for a connection between fans mood and a teams prospects.

I doubt you could find a more protracted, fractious, relationship than the one between Roland Duchâtelet and the Addicks faithful; it didn't prevent Charlton making a playoff semi final last term.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:31 am

Enoch wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:24 pm
mullayo wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:08 am
Enoch wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:36 am
mullayo wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:07 am
I agree about Hull there is a lot of negativity between fans and management
?
Their owners are the new Venky's been cutting corners and not spending. Fans are getting disgruntled at lack of spending.
I was looking for a connection between fans mood and a teams prospects.

I doubt you could find a more protracted, fractious, relationship than the one between Roland Duchâtelet and the Addicks faithful; it didn't prevent Charlton making a playoff semi final last term.
There are exceptions - Fergusson used to harness any ill will and turn it into a siege mentality - but mostly it's bad. It's not a positive work environment is it?
What could've happened; did.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:08 am

I guess it depends on who's doing the work.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:51 pm

QPR - two league games, two defeats - change their chairman, with Tony Fernandes stepping down for vice-chairman Amit Bhatia.

Bhatia has one of the world's richest men as an uncle, but his introductory quotes ("Under my watch I will ensure that we make decisions that are in the best long-term interests of QPR, and which bring stability and sustainability to the club. While we would like to be more active in the transfer market it's important we adhere to the profitability and sustainability rules moving forward. We are pursuing a more careful and considered strategy and our squad is now made up of young and hungry players, filled with passion and commitment") hardly sound like Spend Spend Spend. And besides, they can't do that anyway.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 12376.html

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:15 pm

"We will play young, hungry players" translates to "there's no cash, so we'll just throw players in from the academy and hope" in the modern game.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:28 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:15 pm
"We will play young, hungry players" translates to "there's no cash, so we'll just throw players in from the academy and hope" in the modern game.
Indeed - which, I suspect, is why they went for Steve McClaren. For all his negatives, he seems to enjoy the actual coaching of players.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:41 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:28 pm
Indeed - which, I suspect, is why they went for Steve McClaren. For all his negatives, he seems to enjoy the actual coaching of players.
Steve McClaren is a bit of a tool, but he knows the game inside out and he can coach. A bit tactically suspect, but no more so than a lot of middling managers. As I understand it, it's his interpersonal skills that have cost him quite a few jobs. He's perfectly capable of getting sides out of this league, if luck is with him.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:28 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:41 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:28 pm
Steve McClaren is a bit of a tool, but he knows the game inside out and he can coach. A bit tactically suspect, but no more so than a lot of middling managers. As I understand it, it's his interpersonal skills that have cost him quite a few jobs. He's perfectly capable of getting sides out of this league, if luck is with him.
He may well be a decent coach, but imho he is a poor manager, at least for the football environment in this country. He often earns disrespect amongst players, I believe. To me he seems an introverted personality always trying to be an extrovert. That might be just an impression but there is certainly something within him that prevents him being an inspirational manager.

I think he is very capable of taking sides out this league, to L1, and given the opportunity he will prove that this season.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:07 am

McClaren has proven he can manage. He won the league in Holland, did well enough with Boro to get the England job and got Derby to a play-off final. He's a limited manager, but certainly not a bad one. He has lost a number of dressing rooms, though. Like I said, he's a tool.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:36 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:07 am
McClaren has proven he can manage. He won the league in Holland, did well enough with Boro to get the England job and got Derby to a play-off final. He's a limited manager, but certainly not a bad one. He has lost a number of dressing rooms, though. Like I said, he's a tool.
His knowledge of the game or tactical ability isn't in question. But 99% of being a successful manager is about managing people. I'm far from convinced he's good at that. So I think he might be a poor choice for a struggle at the bottom of the championship.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:36 am
His knowledge of the game or tactical ability isn't in question. But 99% of being a successful manager is about managing people. I'm far from convinced he's good at that. So I think he might be a poor choice for a struggle at the bottom of the championship.
I'd not disagree with that. One caveat I'd add is that we've seen a few very successful managers who thought they were great man managers but were actually shite at it. Those guys tended to rely upon their assistant managers to be the "fixer" in those situations. McClaren strikes me as that type. He needs a #2 who complements him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:05 pm

Ello ello ello, the boys in Blue might be in a bit of bother
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... aking-efl/
Birmingham City are facing the prospect of being hit with a huge 12-point deduction for breaking rules on spending, in a landmark case for the English Football League. [...] Birmingham are understood to be in deep trouble for breaching profitability and sustainability rules, with the EFL determined to adopt a tough stance by pushing for a deduction of up to 12 points and a heavy fine.

Rival Championship clubs have also complained over Birmingham’s £2m signing of Danish left-back Kristian Pedersen while under a transfer embargo.Pedersen was signed from Union Berlin in June despite the club operating under a “soft” embargo, leading to the EFL later admitting in a statement that they were “exceptionally disappointed”.

Birmingham’s hearing is likely to be in the next two months and the club, owned by Trillion Trophy Asia, is expected to contest any sanctions. A verdict will then be delivered by an independent panel, possibly before Christmas, with the EFL and clubs pushing for a “game-changing punishment”.

Telegraph Sport understands the possible points deduction could even be imposed this season, which would throw Monk’s campaign into further turmoil.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:10 pm

Hopefully their time has come then this season. Certainly escaped by the skin of their teeth a few times now. Thanks ‘Arry.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:06 pm

Birmingham's owners have acted ridiculously towards FFP. They deserve everything coming to them.

I am very interested to see how Aston Villa's situation develops. It was clear in the summer that they needed to find around £50m from transfer fees and wage savings this season to comply with FFP. After originally appearing to be cutting their cloth, new multi-billionaire owners took over, who appear to have basically stuck their middle finger up to FFP. They didn't sell anyone of note, bought John McGinn from Hibs for £3m, tried hard to sign Joe Bryan for £6m, who snubbed them as he was about to take his medical in favour of Fulham. They also made some expensive looking loan deals for Yannick Bolasie, Tammy Abraham and Anwar El Ghazi. They are even currently trying to re-sign John Terry.

The fact that the owners are rich doesn't obviously change the FFP calculations. Clubs are required to make their FFP forecast to the EFL in March, in advance of accounts published later in the year. If they don't sell big in the January TW, it is hard to see them not in FFP trouble.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:09 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:06 pm
Birmingham's owners have acted ridiculously towards FFP. They deserve everything coming to them.

I am very interested to see how Aston Villa's situation develops. It was clear in the summer that they needed to find around £50m from transfer fees and wage savings this season to comply with FFP. After originally appearing to be cutting their cloth, new multi-billionaire owners took over, who appear to have basically stuck their middle finger up to FFP. They didn't sell anyone of note, bought John McGinn from Hibs for £3m, tried hard to sign Joe Bryan for £6m, who snubbed them as he was about to take his medical in favour of Fulham. They also made some expensive looking loan deals for Yannick Bolasie, Tammy Abraham and Anwar El Ghazi. They are even currently trying to re-sign John Terry.

The fact that the owners are rich doesn't obviously change the FFP calculations. Clubs are required to make their FFP forecast to the EFL in March, in advance of accounts published later in the year. If they don't sell big in the January TW, it is hard to see them not in FFP trouble.
I think Villa's problem was cash-flow wasn't it, because the Chinese government put a stop on business owners moving large sums of money out of china into other countries? That law has softened now, so probably hence their issues being less pressing
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:24 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:09 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:06 pm

I think Villa's problem was cash-flow wasn't it, because the Chinese government put a stop on business owners moving large sums of money out of china into other countries? That law has softened now, so probably hence their issues being less pressing
Villa's problems were many. Cash-flow was one, and that has eased, but they're still in big trouble with FFP, and a lot of their fans are very disenchanted with Steve Bruce. So are some of the players...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:18 pm

telegraph.co.uk wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:05 pm
Birmingham City are facing the prospect of being hit with a huge 12-point deduction for breaking rules on spending
Hope you can't be done for not spending enough!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
99% of being a successful manager is about managing people!!! 99%, yeah right.

I'm amazed you've allowed 1% for strategy, oppositional intelligence, tactical changes, sport science, knowledge of the rules of the game, playing experience, etc. etc. ... coz all of those things are obviously unnecessary. Yep, all you need is a manager of people. You can take any HR director of any Top FTSE100 company and they'd make outstanding football managers. Obviously.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:46 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:35 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
99% of being a successful manager is about managing people!!! 99%, yeah right.

I'm amazed you've allowed 1% for strategy, oppositional intelligence, tactical changes, sport science, knowledge of the rules of the game, playing experience, etc. etc. ... coz all of those things are obviously unnecessary. Yep, all you need is a manager of people. You can take any HR director of any Top FTSE100 company and they'd make outstanding football managers. Obviously.
I was talking about football. But the same is true across the board. Knowledge of the industry is important but what use a tactician who can not persuade his players to follow the lead. Loads of tactically astute brains about who failed as managers.