University of Bolton stadium

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: University of Bolton stadium

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:43 pm

I like the link up with the University and I hope it is long term. I am sure we will all settle on an easy off the tongue name as time goes by. The partnership seems great for the University, particularly if the club does well. It must be a big positive for prospective sports science students to know you will have a chance to work with professional footballers. And you never know, we might covert a few more students into Bolton fans!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:12 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:48 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:35 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:20 am
Dujon wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:46 am
Purely as a matter of interest BWFC_Insane, I used to live in Harwood. In those days our mailing address was the street address followed by "Harwood, nr Bolton, Lancs". Presumably the 'nr Bolton' bit was to clarify its geographic location relative to any other Harwoods in the country as there was no such thing as a post-code then.

Back to the subject at hand: I cannot comment on the arrangement between the university and the club as I have no information as to the contract that has been signed. When it comes to what the general populace will call it that's interesting. I can imagine an eighteen year old lad telling his parents that on Tuesday he won't be home for the evening meal as he has an assignment at 'the uni'.

I think the "nr Bolton" is to show it's geographocal location relative to other Harwoods but also to signify that it's technically outside of Bolton.
It is technically INSIDE Bolton. FFS.

Inside the borough, not the town.

I actually thought this was the point you were making, that Horwich and Harwood aren't a part of Bolton the town but were a part of the borough of Bolton and that that doesn't really matter. Which it doesn't.

There is no defined boundary for ‘Bolton Town’ is there though? Not anymore.

There is, and neither Horwich or Harwood fall within it. It's a dry semantic argument though and in practice it's barely noticable.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:30 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
Dujon wrote:
Purely as a matter of interest BWFC_Insane, I used to live in Harwood. In those days our mailing address was the street address followed by "Harwood, nr Bolton, Lancs". Presumably the 'nr Bolton' bit was to clarify its geographic location relative to any other Harwoods in the country as there was no such thing as a post-code then.

Back to the subject at hand: I cannot comment on the arrangement between the university and the club as I have no information as to the contract that has been signed. When it comes to what the general populace will call it that's interesting. I can imagine an eighteen year old lad telling his parents that on Tuesday he won't be home for the evening meal as he has an assignment at 'the uni'.

I think the "nr Bolton" is to show it's geographocal location relative to other Harwoods but also to signify that it's technically outside of Bolton.

I actually thought this was the point you were making, that Horwich and Harwood aren't a part of Bolton the town but were a part of the borough of Bolton and that that doesn't really matter. Which it doesn't.

There is, and neither Horwich or Harwood fall within it. It's a dry semantic argument though and in practice it's barely noticable.
Show us the defined boundary then. That applies today. Not 1895.....

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:30 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
Dujon wrote:

Show us the defined boundary then. That applies today. Not 1895.....

The town's boundary, as defined by the ONS in 2015, can be found by zooming in on the map HERE. To the north east, between the boundaries of Bolton and Bury, are Harwood and Ainsworth (Harwood Golf Club can be seen if you look closely enough). And if you zoom in to the west of the boundary, you'll see our stadium comfortably outside it in Horwich.

I really don't care about the town's boundary - Bolton Wanderers can represent the borough just as much as it can the town - but you insist that Horwich and Harwood are within it. They aren't.