Carabao Yorks Nightmare. Leeds (A) 14/08/18

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Carabao Yorks Nightmare. Leeds (A) 14/08/18

Post by Jugs » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:40 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:50 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:45 pm
Football is a game of opinions. Mine is that Mark Little has found himself unlucky to be second choice as he is a decent player and clearly works hard as well. I haven’t seen Olkowski live yet but he’s got rave reviews. Shame we don’t seem to have a player as good as Little or Olkowski for the left hand side - but early days for Grounds yet.
I thought the emoji would have made it clear I was kidding a bit and Little has been a good signing for us. The quality of the two players is world's apart, though. Olkowski could see his form fall off a cliff, but Little is nowhere near him at the minute in terms of solidity and general play. Olkowski is genuinely looking like an international at the moment. I'd have no issue if Little started the next game, but if we had a big match I know who would give us better chance of winning.
Little was one of our best players until Parky inexplicably dropped him for Flanagan. Therein coincided our dreadful run towards the end of the season. Little was brought back into the fold for the Forest game and was, once again, outstanding.

Olkowski is ok but the jury is still out for me. He lacks the poise and balance that Little has, and isn't as dangerous going forward. Little gives us pace, thrust, and he can shoot and cross. And he can defend. I think he's top class and, if the comments on here are anything to go by, he's also underrated.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:41 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:09 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 pm
To re-post a comment that seems to have got lost:
Lost? I'm guessing not. ;)

Leeds are great side who we stood up to very well for the greater part. Did you see how they took Derby apart on Saturday? They'll set out to win every game this season and, in my opinion, will be successful most of the time. They certainly have the talent.
We, on the other hand, will be looking not to lose more often than not and the two different attitudes were clear for all to see last night. I really don't know what some folk were expecting from a bunch of players who were basically cobbled together over the past few weeks, away against an expensively assembled side?
If we can take that second half performance into other games then I believe we'll do much better than most expect.
With the exception of Hall, who the game completely passed by, each player played a part last night.
Whereas there's obviously room for improvement I thought that there were also grounds for cautious optimism.
Why would you guess that Bruce, or are you suggesting I'm lying? Quite often several posts go in between answering one or posting. I obviously was under the impression I had sent it when I hadn't. It happens a few times during a commentary relay.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:47 am

Jugs wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:40 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:50 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:45 pm
Football is a game of opinions. Mine is that Mark Little has found himself unlucky to be second choice as he is a decent player and clearly works hard as well. I haven’t seen Olkowski live yet but he’s got rave reviews. Shame we don’t seem to have a player as good as Little or Olkowski for the left hand side - but early days for Grounds yet.
I thought the emoji would have made it clear I was kidding a bit and Little has been a good signing for us. The quality of the two players is world's apart, though. Olkowski could see his form fall off a cliff, but Little is nowhere near him at the minute in terms of solidity and general play. Olkowski is genuinely looking like an international at the moment. I'd have no issue if Little started the next game, but if we had a big match I know who would give us better chance of winning.
Little was one of our best players until Parky inexplicably dropped him for Flanagan. Therein coincided our dreadful run towards the end of the season. Little was brought back into the fold for the Forest game and was, once again, outstanding.

Olkowski is ok but the jury is still out for me. He lacks the poise and balance that Little has, and isn't as dangerous going forward. Little gives us pace, thrust, and he can shoot and cross. And he can defend. I think he's top class and, if the comments on here are anything to go by, he's also underrated.
Couldn't disagree with this more. Olkowski was an immediate fans favourite because his very obvious quality stood out. He so far looks a premiership player at championship level. Has everything, composure on the ball, tenacity, defensive quality, good in the air.

Little is good going forwards but cannot defend. See the Forest game and how their second goal came about from him being unable to defend an incredibly basic situation. I like Little and as above its a shame he's not left sided.

But Pawel is in an entirely different league. Not even close.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:51 am

I mean, you could be right. Need more of a look at Pawel.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:57 am

Jugs wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:51 am
Yeah lets judge him over a longer period as I'll be surprised if he keeps this form up. If he does then we'll struggle to keep him!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:08 pm

I like Little, he was impressive in all of the live games I got to see last year. Don't think he's great defensively but not hopeless, good energy and pace to cover our creaking centre backs, and he linked well with Ameobi. I'd have been happy if he'd been our first choice this year with no issues. As it is, sounds like we might have picked up someone even better and have real competition there. Lovely stuff.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:57 am
Jugs wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:51 am
Yeah lets judge him over a longer period as I'll be surprised if he keeps this form up. If he does then we'll struggle to keep him!
If we're in a position where other clubs want to pay us lots of money for him then that's perfectly fine. Olkowski looks an excellent signing from a both a playing and potential resale perspective so far.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:43 pm

I totally agree that we can't accurate judge Olkowski on a couple of games. At the end of the season we'll see how all the new lads have done...aside from O'Neil, unless we renew his deal.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 23, 2020 7:47 pm

COYWM