Carabao Yorks Nightmare. Leeds (A) 14/08/18

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Carabao Yorks Nightmare. Leeds (A) 14/08/18

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:36 pm

When we had a go in the second half we looked a much better side and made a game of it against a team that’s on for top 6 this season - who finished with the majority of their first team on the pitch. Not to be sniffed at.

Hobbs - I’ll put it down to being rusty but he didn’t impress...poor for the first goal.
Wilson - as above, looked a class above second half. Can see him playing centre half alongside Wheater. Wether it helps the (lack of) pace issue I am not sure but a good player.
Grounds - could be an Andy Taylor upgrade. Seemed more mobile if not that much quicker. Fingers crossed. Got to remember he has been frozen out pre season and is coming back from
Injury so more to come.
Little was top man. The standout player in a poor first half and good in the second as well. Shame we can’t switch one of him or Pawel to left back. Or even use him in midfield?
O Neil got about the pitch - fluffed his lines on a shot first half. Happy to have him in the squad this season.
Wildschut could be interesting. I thought he looked fit - yes he looked knackered after one of several lung busting runs...but he put himself about and tried to cover the massive gap between midfield and forward particularly after we went 2 down.
Oztumer didn’t get into the game really. Not sure how Parky plans on using him - probably will be helped playing with Magennis as opposed to...
Hall - not ready yet. Get him out on loan. Such a big gap between U23 football and tonight.

Plenty of teams will get beaten there - we won the second half, worked hard and all with a set of players who have barely been introduced. I did think we were looking at a cricket score at half time though!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:38 pm

Just read about Le Fondre - assumes he was injured!! WTF? Seems odd to let him go now!

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:40 pm

Perhaps I'm wrong TD - apologies....

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:43 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:38 pm
Just read about Le Fondre - assumes he was injured!! WTF? Seems odd to let him go now!
He wasn't 6ft 2 and he couldn't jump high enough to reach balls constantly fired 4ft over his head

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:48 pm

Well aye but let him go when we sign his (6foot plus) replacement, and we didn’t sign him! Oh and get some fecking money for him an all!!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:49 pm

Oh yeah and don’t announce it mid match!
I await the statement from ken where he makes a statement and states in his statement that he won’t make any more statements, before following it up with a clarifying statement the next day.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:03 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 pm
To re-post a comment that seems to have got lost: too slow, too unfit (Willschutt blowing like Steptoe's Hercules after a ten yard spurt and Leeds left winger made his supposed electric sprint looked like the meter needed funds) ) not half the comm itement of the home side who obviously went out to win, and we turned in a Wallop Wanderers display with our strikers looking lonelier than Robinson Crusoe. That said, at the risk of repeating old sermons, the refs rulebooks need tearing up and re-writing. Do thay actually know what they're doing, or are the rules a "make it up as you go" manual? . That lumberjack of a central defender (Janson) had but one idea in mind...chop-chop. I still don 't understand why Parky relies on cutting out the midfield and hoofing the ball into no-man's land. How many shots did we actually have that were worth the name? Unless we get a grip pretty soon w're going to be in trouble. On top of that, for whatever reason (I'm suspecting rows over selection?) Alf, a player who seemed to care about Bolton is on a goodbye bus without anyone knowing why. Not a good night at all. :(

We went to a very strong Leeds side and played well. Not sure what you were watching. A ‘second string’ Bolton side nearly drawing with a less second string Leeds side is creditable in the circumstances.
Given a number of notably good performances it’s encouraging.
I was watching us lose and never look like doing aught else. That "second string" could well be mainly our first XI, although "second-best" is a better description) especially with Alf gone I was watching our attacks go backward to wallop land and us give two very unspecial goals away. I was watching an attack with less teeth than I have and if we're not going to try winning, why not save the coach fare. What were you watching ? My rose-tinters seemed a bit steamed up tonight. I haven't even bothered looking at the possession figures. I don't mind losing when we give our all. Do you really b elieve we did that tonight?
We should have drawn the game. Against a Leeds side with a striker who cost not far short of our clubs annual revenue alone.

I mean given we threw a team together with players who have hardly been here and aren’t match fit I was pretty impressed. If you expect a Bolton side built on frees and loans in the circumstances of tonight to do much better than I think that’s asking a lot.

Apart from young Hall who is a million miles from this level the rest acquired themselves well.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:02 pm

Only saw the last 15 mins so can't really tell a lot. Two things I can say though:

i) I would never, ever, ever get tired of kicking that Alioski. Dreadful, dreadful little c*nt.

ii) Time-wasting does my head in. 5 minutes to go their big lump centre back goes down rolling around holding his head, while we've got it down in midfield and are building some pressure. Ref stops it (head injury), up he jumps, drop ball, belted back to our keeper while he's waved back on. Time wasted and a promising attack stopped. Boils my piss. If the game is stopped because you're injured (by the ref or the other team kicking it out) you should have to go off for 5 mins unless subbed.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:03 pm

Poor first half, improved second half. Of the unknown quantities I thought Wilson, Grounds and Remi were decent. Ozzy looked lost but clearly has ability as a footballer. Pleased for Hall to get a start, but if the plan is to have him step-up for Alf then that's a total non-starter. Wildschut isn't match fit, but could be an outlet when we have more physicality up front for him to play off (same with Ozzy).

Wilson may well be the player who changes things up a bit for us. He's committed and can play a bit. Certainly our quickest centre back right now too, though that's not saying much. Hobbs will know he had a bad day at the office in the first half and he was more on it in the second - jury is out.

Meaningless game for us this season. Alfie is the story today.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:05 pm

Oh forgot about Donaldson. Probably not fit. Bit of a clumsy unit. Not a wide player - asked to do a role he hopefully won’t have to play much for us given the wide options we have.

Only other thing I would say about Hall is his size surprised me - he is tall and built - not a short kid who will be knocked off the ball. Has the build to play league football but didn’t look good enough for championship this season. Get him out to a league two club where he can
Play week in week out.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:10 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:36 pm
When we had a go in the second half we looked a much better side and made a game of it against a team that’s on for top 6 this season - who finished with the majority of their first team on the pitch. Not to be sniffed at.

Hobbs - I’ll put it down to being rusty but he didn’t impress...poor for the first goal.
Wilson - as above, looked a class above second half. Can see him playing centre half alongside Wheater. Wether it helps the (lack of) pace issue I am not sure but a good player.
Grounds - could be an Andy Taylor upgrade. Seemed more mobile if not that much quicker. Fingers crossed. Got to remember he has been frozen out pre season and is coming back from
Injury so more to come.
Little was top man. The standout player in a poor first half and good in the second as well. Shame we can’t switch one of him or Pawel to left back. Or even use him in midfield?
O Neil got about the pitch - fluffed his lines on a shot first half. Happy to have him in the squad this season.
Wildschut could be interesting. I thought he looked fit - yes he looked knackered after one of several lung busting runs...but he put himself about and tried to cover the massive gap between midfield and forward particularly after we went 2 down.
Oztumer didn’t get into the game really. Not sure how Parky plans on using him - probably will be helped playing with Magennis as opposed to...
Hall - not ready yet. Get him out on loan. Such a big gap between U23 football and tonight.

Plenty of teams will get beaten there - we won the second half, worked hard and all with a set of players who have barely been introduced. I did think we were looking at a cricket score at half time though!
Little is better than the new lad by a mile. He was better than Flanagan too

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:13 pm

Jugs wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:10 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

Injury so more to come.

Absolute bollocks. Olkowski has been absolutely superb so far and is leagues above Little. Been a fecking standout in the two games he’s played.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:13 pm
Jugs wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:10 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

Injury so more to come.

Absolute bollocks. Olkowski has been absolutely superb so far and is leagues above Little. Been a fecking standout in the two games he’s played.
Olkowski is good

Prefer Little

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:23 pm

Ps. Really enjoyed foreign commentators combined with their goalkeeper.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:26 pm

Jugs wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:18 pm
Olkowski is good

Prefer Little
You're no longer allowed to give Parky stick for his selections :shock:

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:27 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:26 pm
Jugs wrote:
Olkowski is good

Prefer Little
Balls to Parky

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:45 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:26 pm
Jugs wrote:
Olkowski is good

Prefer Little
Football is a game of opinions. Mine is that Mark Little has found himself unlucky to be second choice as he is a decent player and clearly works hard as well. I haven’t seen Olkowski live yet but he’s got rave reviews. Shame we don’t seem to have a player as good as Little or Olkowski for the left hand side - but early days for Grounds yet.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:50 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:45 pm
Football is a game of opinions. Mine is that Mark Little has found himself unlucky to be second choice as he is a decent player and clearly works hard as well. I haven’t seen Olkowski live yet but he’s got rave reviews. Shame we don’t seem to have a player as good as Little or Olkowski for the left hand side - but early days for Grounds yet.
I thought the emoji would have made it clear I was kidding a bit and Little has been a good signing for us. The quality of the two players is world's apart, though. Olkowski could see his form fall off a cliff, but Little is nowhere near him at the minute in terms of solidity and general play. Olkowski is genuinely looking like an international at the moment. I'd have no issue if Little started the next game, but if we had a big match I know who would give us better chance of winning.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:53 pm

Interesting to hear Parky highlight Ozzy as someone who has impressed and will have a proper role going forward. I think early assumptions of him never featuring were always a bit odd, but view the comments from the manager as you will.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:09 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 pm
To re-post a comment that seems to have got lost:
Lost? I'm guessing not. ;)

Leeds are great side who we stood up to very well for the greater part. Did you see how they took Derby apart on Saturday? They'll set out to win every game this season and, in my opinion, will be successful most of the time. They certainly have the talent.
We, on the other hand, will be looking not to lose more often than not and the two different attitudes were clear for all to see last night. I really don't know what some folk were expecting from a bunch of players who were basically cobbled together over the past few weeks, away against an expensively assembled side?
If we can take that second half performance into other games then I believe we'll do much better than most expect.
With the exception of Hall, who the game completely passed by, each player played a part last night.
Whereas there's obviously room for improvement I thought that there were also grounds for cautious optimism.
May the bridges I burn light your way