Lets zero in and get these Monkeys off our back. BWFC v Birmingham 8pm 22/8/18

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Lets zero in and get these Monkeys off our back. BWFC v Birmingham 8pm 22/8/18

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:50 pm
In fairness Andrew Taylor has done nothing wrong at all. Showing all those who wrote him off to be fools!
As Dibble says, he still struggles against what he's always struggled against (and what most fullbacks do) in pace and tricks. He doesn't make many mistakes, he just has limitations. Olkowski also seems to not make many mistakes, he just has fewer limitations.

I've no issue with either Taylor or Grounds. I don't even have much of an issue with Buckley or Wildschut. I just don't think our left is as strong as our right. I think we all know that and it's not slating anyone to say so.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Lets zero in and get these Monkeys off our back. BWFC v Birmingham 8pm 22/8/18

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:36 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:34 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:50 pm
In fairness Andrew Taylor has done nothing wrong at all. Showing all those who wrote him off to be fools!
As Dibble says, he still struggles against what he's always struggled against (and what most fullbacks do) in pace and tricks. He doesn't make many mistakes, he just has limitations. Olkowski also seems to not make many mistakes, he just has fewer limitations.

I've no issue with either Taylor or Grounds. I don't even have much of an issue with Buckley or Wildschut. I just don't think our left is as strong as our right. I think we all know that and it's not slating anyone to say so.
Absolutely. But he looks good. Played a major part in the goal too. I like Tayls. He’s got his limitations but he’s a real trier and grafter.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:36 pm
Absolutely. But he looks good. Played a major part in the goal too. I like Tayls. He’s got his limitations but he’s a real trier and grafter.
I've been pleased with everyone so far. We've a few who'd maybe not be top of my list to retain, but I think there's a really good ethos at the club now (on the playing side). Every single player on the pitch works hard and covers his team mates. Can't argue with it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:32 pm

I'm a fan but he struggled big time last night. Probably says more about Jota than him but contrasted to the other side. Right side looks a cut above. Last night's left side had a very Paul Robinson-Martin Petrov vibe for me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:27 am

Do we know who scored yet?
Stadium announcer said Sameobi (as well as shouting "Handball" when his microphone was switched on towards the end!).
BBC says Buckley.
Club website says Magennis.
I'm mainly bothered what Billy Hill's view is on it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:39 am

Winter Hill White wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:27 am
Do we know who scored yet?
Stadium announcer said Sameobi (as well as shouting "Handball" when his microphone was switched on towards the end!).
BBC says Buckley.
Club website says Magennis.
I'm mainly bothered what Billy Hill's view is on it.
Unless there's been a very great change in the rules, handball is when a hand is put in the path of the ball with intent (generally, but refs are refs....) . I'm pretty sure that can't have been seen as the case and the ref called it dead right. If it had hit Buckley in the family jewels it was going to finish up in the net. I see Magennis as just making sure, but it was called his goal so that's the end of that. Somebody will scream anyway and Parky probably would have had it been at our end. Rub of the green ot whatever, it was a goal so.....Sammi fooled the lot of them by not pulling it back for somebody to shoot.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:39 am

My 2p about who the better team was (it was us)

It seems to be a common view that Birmingham were the better side but I think this assumes that attacking and possession are more valuable than defending.

Defending is part of football every bit as much as passing and attacking is. Birmingham huffed and puffed passing it sideways, creating nothing of note save a reasonably comfortable deflected shot. This is as much our ability in defending as it is there lack of talent going forward but it seems people are misinterpreting this as Birmingham are better than us and were unlucky.

If Birmingham had better attackers and/or we had worse defenders then they would have won but that's not what happened.

We defended better than they could attack. When Ameobi came on we attacked better than they could defend. For me this makes us the better team.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:57 am

Spartan2 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:39 am
My 2p about who the better team was (it was us)

It seems to be a common view that Birmingham were the better side but I think this assumes that attacking and possession are more valuable than defending.

Defending is part of football every bit as much as passing and attacking is. Birmingham huffed and puffed passing it sideways, creating nothing of note save a reasonably comfortable deflected shot. This is as much our ability in defending as it is there lack of talent going forward but it seems people are misinterpreting this as Birmingham are better than us and were unlucky.

If Birmingham had better attackers and/or we had worse defenders then they would have won but that's not what happened.

We defended better than they could attack. When Ameobi came on we attacked better than they could defend. For me this makes us the better team.
I mean it definitely felt like they were the most likely to break the deadlock until we actually did, but watching the highlights we actually had five of the best six chances in the game. Only Bogle's miss after our mistake had given them the ball back was a real clear chance for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwdD1OVd-TA

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:23 am

Just finished watching the game on iFollow. Anyone who tells me Alnwick was in for MotM needs their eyes testing. He had an absolute 'mare, for me. Couldn't catch a cold, his kicking was awful and misjudged pretty much every ball into the box. If his defenders hadn't helped him out he'd have cost us 2-3 goals. Great save for the cameras on the deflection, but everything else he did was poor. He won't be happy with his performance.

Ozzy and Wildschut suffered from a combination of not getting the ball where they needed it and ring rustiness. Both fairly awkward, but they've plenty to offer. I think they could complement each other. Ozzy finally got a few balls through after Wildschut went off, but Buckley lacked the pace to use them. When they're both on-song they'll be a threat.

We really, really need a player on the left of the defence who offers an out ball. Neither Beevers nor Taylor can play it forward reliably and we lose a ton of possession that way. I thought both did okay defensively, but we are going to need either Wilson or Grounds to come in eventually - assuming either of them will improve us there.

It wasn't a great performance, but I was actually really pleased with how we played. We're going to struggle to find a way of playing at home for a good while yet, but we gave them almost nothing (except when Alnwick dropped something at their feet) and when their player beat one of our's we always had someone on the cover to help his mate out. We were always organised and we made very few mistakes. Even in the first half, where our actual football was very poor, we gave them sod-all in the final third.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:03 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:23 am
Just finished watching the game on iFollow. Anyone who tells me Alnwick was in for MotM needs their eyes testing. He had an absolute 'mare, for me. Couldn't catch a cold, his kicking was awful and misjudged pretty much every ball into the box. If his defenders hadn't helped him out he'd have cost us 2-3 goals. Great save for the cameras on the deflection, but everything else he did was poor. He won't be happy with his performance.

Ozzy and Wildschut suffered from a combination of not getting the ball where they needed it and ring rustiness. Both fairly awkward, but they've plenty to offer. I think they could complement each other. Ozzy finally got a few balls through after Wildschut went off, but Buckley lacked the pace to use them. When they're both on-song they'll be a threat.

We really, really need a player on the left of the defence who offers an out ball. Neither Beevers nor Taylor can play it forward reliably and we lose a ton of possession that way. I thought both did okay defensively, but we are going to need either Wilson or Grounds to come in eventually - assuming either of them will improve us there.

It wasn't a great performance, but I was actually really pleased with how we played. We're going to struggle to find a way of playing at home for a good while yet, but we gave them almost nothing (except when Alnwick dropped something at their feet) and when their player beat one of our's we always had someone on the cover to help his mate out. We were always organised and we made very few mistakes. Even in the first half, where our actual football was very poor, we gave them sod-all in the final third.
Wow. Harsh. Incredibly so.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:18 am

What gets me with Alnwick is he spends a million years preparing a kick and then gives it straight to the opposition anyway. When it's 0-0, the man has no urgency.

In fact, the team as a whole doesn't.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:23 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:03 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:23 am

Wow. Harsh. Incredibly so.
Harsh, Incredibly harsh!!! How so?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:29 pm

I don't think I'm being harsh in the slightest. I'm not saying he's a bad player or anything like that, but he had a bad day at the office. Good goalkeeping isn't just about making a spectacular save, you've got to command your box and make good decisions. Alnwick came for balls he got nowhere near, dropped crosses he got to and punched one that went straight down instead of out. On another night we lose that game 1-2 because of goalkeeping errors. Sometimes keepers have bad games. It's not a big deal, as we won; but people saying he was MotM (presumably based on watching the highlights) as kidding themselves. Fortunately we play in a low-profile league, so he won't have the tabloids going on about how he had a bad game and it's the end of the world. He can just start on Saturday, play well (as he has in the other games this season) and crack on.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:06 pm

I'm not an Alnwick fan but thought he was very good the other night.

To call that save one for the cameras is very harsh! It wasn't right in the corner and came down a bit quicker than it first looked it would but that just made it saveable rather than routine. I fully expected the net to bulge and it was a tremendous save. He also did really well when Jota did Taylor on the outside. Only real mistake I remember was when he dropped one from a corner. He also came and didn't get another.

Kicking? Meh. He missed the pitch once but otherwise he was hitting Magennis 5 yards out of their box. It ain't pretty but it suits us.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:06 pm
To call that save one for the cameras is very harsh!
I didn't say one for the cameras. I said it was a great save for the cameras. I've watched Jussi have bad games, for example, then gone home and watched MotD and he's looked like a world-beater, because it's stuff like that that ends up on highlight reels. The decision-making stuff tends to not make the cut.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:44 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:06 pm
I'm not an Alnwick fan but thought he was very good the other night.

To call that save one for the cameras is very harsh! It wasn't right in the corner and came down a bit quicker than it first looked it would but that just made it saveable rather than routine. I fully expected the net to bulge and it was a tremendous save. He also did really well when Jota did Taylor on the outside. Only real mistake I remember was when he dropped one from a corner. He also came and didn't get another.

Kicking? Meh. He missed the pitch once but otherwise he was hitting Magennis 5 yards out of their box. It ain't pretty but it suits us.
Dunno, on one occasion he aimed one at Otz lol

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:32 pm

Aye, but he wasn't alone there either!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:33 pm

Alnwick was fine on Wednesday. One world class save and several times he came off his line to smother and collect. He missed a punch on one cross and his kicking was at times poor.

What he didn't have was an absolute mare and he didn't misjudge every ball in the box.

What do I know though? I didn't have the benefit of seeing his performance via ifollow
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:06 am

For me Alnwick had an excellent game. Sure he dropped one after being bumped into as he attempted to catch it, but made a great save and another few good ones. Strange for Ghost to pick him out when he had a better game than quite a few other players, including two for whom he was willing to give excuses for.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:10 am

Alnwick seems to come for a lot more crosses than he ever used to. When he first got into our team he seemed pretty much rooted to his line at set pieces. Now he seems ready to come for everything. He did drop/not get to a couple, but overall it seemed to do more good than harm. I also think Birmingham's set pieces were poor, with lots of floated balls and no one to block Alnwick coming off his line.