Lets zero in and get these Monkeys off our back. BWFC v Birmingham 8pm 22/8/18

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Lets zero in and get these Monkeys off our back. BWFC v Birmingham 8pm 22/8/18

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:38 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:33 pm
What do I know though? I didn't have the benefit of seeing his performance via ifollow
That was cute. I enjoyed that.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Lets zero in and get these Monkeys off our back. BWFC v Birmingham 8pm 22/8/18

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:04 am

I should add, I'm singling him out only because some people either here or on Twitter were saying Alnwick was MotM and I just can't see how anyone gets there. If you think I'm being harsh, fair enough - but MotM?

I also thought Beevers, though he played okay for the most part, dropped some absolute clangers; but nobody told me he was the best player on the park so I wasn't as amazed when I watched the game.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:32 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:30 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:06 pm
To call that save one for the cameras is very harsh!
I didn't say one for the cameras. I said it was a great save for the cameras. I've watched Jussi have bad games, for example, then gone home and watched MotD and he's looked like a world-beater, because it's stuff like that that ends up on highlight reels. The decision-making stuff tends to not make the cut.
I'm still not sure what the difference is. Are you saying it was a very good save (one that the cameras love) but that that isn't what keepers should necessarily be judged on?

If so, I think that's broadly fair but:

- Lots of saves that look good on the cameras you'd expect most keepers to make, most of the time. They look great because it's somebody flying around but they aren't adding that much "value". This one though I think plenty of goalkeepers don't make. I thought it was in, and it was great feet to even get near it. In that sense I think it's fair that it's at least an important factor in judging his performance (the keeping equivalent of a goal).

-as for the rest of his performance, i just don't agree that he was particularly bad. As I said I remember one drop (outside the posts and nothing came of it and one flap). I watched it all on a stream.

Possible I didn't notice them, as you say, you watched the game having read about how well he supposedly played so you're more likely to take note. But I'm not an Alnwick fan, and spent most of the summer arguing that there were lots of good keepers out there and we should've said thanks for everything and goodbye. So my confirmation bias is usually looking for mistakes!

Anyway this is more fun than arguing about whether it's possible for our team to ever get any point.

Finally, Darren is finally f*cked off and now we're third. People should listen to me more often
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:45 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:32 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
I didn't say one for the cameras. I said it was a great save for the cameras. I've watched Jussi have bad games, for example, then gone home and watched MotD and he's looked like a world-beater, because it's stuff like that that ends up on highlight reels. The decision-making stuff tends to not make the cut.
I'm still not sure what the difference is.
I'd say "one for the cameras" is a save that's easy and could be done simply, but the keeper puts a bit of flair into it to try and show off. Alnwick just make a great save, which needed to be acrobatic, and which was bound to make a highlights reel and make people think "wow!" He deserves the plaudits for a good save, but I've seen Alnwick have better games and still concede two goals.

I think he got very lucky that all the errors he made went to his mates, or to Brum players who failed to finish.

I don't expect perfection from anyone. I do think he made far too many errors and it constituted a bad performance.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:36 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:45 am
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:32 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
I'm still not sure what the difference is.
I'd say "one for the cameras" is a save that's easy and could be done simply, but the keeper puts a bit of flair into it to try and show off. Alnwick just make a great save, which needed to be acrobatic, and which was bound to make a highlights reel and make people think "wow!" He deserves the plaudits for a good save, but I've seen Alnwick have better games and still concede two goals.

I think he got very lucky that all the errors he made went to his mates, or to Brum players who failed to finish.

I don't expect perfection from anyone. I do think he made far too many errors and it constituted a bad performance.
You're being hyper critical to a player that helped get 3 points rather than 1 with his performance.

The save from the long shot is excellent as he was prepped for the shot and adjusted with a jump to give enough elevation to react to the deflection which became a lob. This save was the equivalent to a top bin goal from a striker so he get's the appreciation from me.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:12 pm

I do agree it was an unusually shaky game by his standards, the save aside. Thankfully the 4 ahead of him all performed well and it didn't matter.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:04 pm

Patricio Save,

One for the cameras?

Ben Alwnick you are rubbish. lol