Lets zero in and get these Monkeys off our back. BWFC v Birmingham 8pm 22/8/18

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Lets zero in and get these Monkeys off our back. BWFC v Birmingham 8pm 22/8/18

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:55 pm

We are back on it tomoz at the University of Bolton stadium against a team and a manager we have struggled against in recent times. Birmingham are unbeaten in their last four games at the Macbok/UniBol, with the last three ending in 1-0 wins, and in 2013-14 they came back from 2-0 down in the last 15 minutes to trigger a Championship survival party in the south stand. We have failed to score against Birmingham in our last five meetings. Gary Monk had two games against us at last season at our home which ended 0-3 and 0-1. Even the 2-0 defeat we suffered at Middlesbrough last season was still effectively his team as he had been sacked two days before and Pulis hadn't yet been appointed.

It would be nice to get our first win at our newly named stadium and our first home win of the season. Apart from Ameobi who is still trying to shrug off his hip injury from the opening day, and possibly Buckley who went off at HT v Reading, it appears our squad is fully fit. Despite our successful start, selection for this will be tricky with us having another game on Saturday, and Birmingham likely to be difficult to break down. Will he be tempted to try a more attacking line up with possibly Wildschut, Ozzy and Grounds in contention?

Birmingham struggled last season, and despite Monk inspiring some late season form that dragged them to safety, they haven't managed to improve their squad much due to FFP issues that resulted them being placed in a transfer embargo for much of the summer. Indeed, since taking over in 2016 the Trillon Trophy Asia group have added themselves to the list of dubious foreign owners. It seems they initially completely ignored FFP in the summer and pressed ahead with bids totaling £11m for three players. Only when the EFL tapped them on the shoulder and refused to register Kristian Pedersen who had just completed a £2m move from Union Berlin, did the situation become clear and bids for Grabban and Bilakowski withdrawn. All this having inherited a Gary Rowett built side 7th in the table, and now four managers and tens of millions later are now in their current predicament.

I expect a tight, low scoring game. BWFC 1-0 Birmingham to keep the early season buzz going? COYW.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Lets zero in and get these Monkeys off our back. BWFC v Birmingham 8pm 22/8/18

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Am i right in thinking that this game will be available on Sky's red button?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Lets zero in and get these Monkeys off our back. BWFC v Birmingham 8pm 22/8/18

Post by Jugs » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:15 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:16 pm
Aye.

I think it'll be as tough as the Bristol City game.

1-1.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:49 pm

As Leeds drew tonight, a win would put us joint top.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:14 pm

6-0

At least it'll need to be, if we're to claim our rightful place atop of the table.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:14 am

Had a few memorable encounters with Brum in the past, a couple of them last games of the season (one when they were already relegated, the immortal "Flipperman" match) :lol: Got a good feeling about this one and think we'll win by more than one goal (Hey-up, I'm off, I can hear Insaney's howls of disapproval already).. :wink:

COME ON YOU WHITES.... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:37 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:49 pm
As Leeds drew tonight, a win would put us joint top.
Take it as read.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:13 am

My view is still that it'll be harder this season to find a way of playing as the home team than away. I happen to think we can turn Birmingham over, if we can keep things tight and concentration high at the back - but Monk is no mug and Birmingham have some decent players.

It'll come down to intensity levels, desire and concentration. I'll say 2-1 Bolton, but I suspect we'll be a basket-case at home for a bit and have some weird results. If not and we suddenly hit on a home style that works, we'll do very well this season.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:53 am

Jugs wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:15 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:16 pm
Aye.

I think it'll be as tough as the Bristol City game.

1-1.
Sweet as a nut.

Fingers crossed Sam I Am is back for the Super Whites to put on another show for the cameras.

Bolton 2-1 Birmingham

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:00 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:53 am
Sweet as a nut.

Fingers crossed Sam I Am is back for the Super Whites to put on another show for the cameras.

Bolton 2-1 Birmingham
Sammy or Noone, either could have some fun against Pedersen. He's apparently really struggling to adapt to this division.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:38 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:13 am
My view is still that it'll be harder this season to find a way of playing as the home team than away. I happen to think we can turn Birmingham over, if we can keep things tight and concentration high at the back - but Monk is no mug and Birmingham have some decent players.

It'll come down to intensity levels, desire and concentration. I'll say 2-1 Bolton, but I suspect we'll be a basket-case at home for a bit and have some weird results. If not and we suddenly hit on a home style that works, we'll do very well this season.
Agree with this. Home games will be tougher. I think a lot will depend on set pieces - at home I think our goals may come from them.

However, if Ameobi is fit I reckon our chances increase as on his day he is a match winner at home, in a way Noone/Buckley certainly aren't.

Interested to see how Parky will set up for this. Oztumer is the one I'm watching. Does he throw him in tonight. Sneaky feeling that he might. We'll see.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:41 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:38 am
Agree with this. Home games will be tougher. I think a lot will depend on set pieces - at home I think our goals may come from them.

However, if Ameobi is fit I reckon our chances increase as on his day he is a match winner at home, in a way Noone/Buckley certainly aren't.

Interested to see how Parky will set up for this. Oztumer is the one I'm watching. Does he throw him in tonight. Sneaky feeling that he might. We'll see.
I think we'll see Wildschut, Ozzy, Grounds and Wilson start tonight.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:46 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:41 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Maybe. Think he'll be loathe to make so many changes. And if Ameobi is fit will be interesting to see who he plays on the left. Would he move Noone over? Or play Wildschut. Have to balance it with Saturday's game. Which I feel might need more of an away team setup (Yanic for his outlet pace?) given Sheff Utd will come and try to dominate possession.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:14 am

I notice this will be available to Sky viewers through the Red Button. If anyone gets wind of a stream - hit up the link!

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:10 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

No way would Parky make 4 changes to a winning league side?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:36 pm

Grounds definitely won't be playing tonight as he isn't eligible against his parent club of course!

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:42 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'll be shocked if he makes so many changes - I think that everyone hopes that he'll play Oztumer from the start (especially at home), but I think that most know that he won't.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:45 pm

Yanic for Buckley will be it I think, assuming Sammy isn't fit to start. Maybe Oz but doubt he'll make too many changes to a successful team. Think Oz will play more than people think over the season though, once he breaks in.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:47 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:45 pm
Yanic for Buckley will be it I think, assuming Sammy isn't fit to start. Maybe Oz but doubt he'll make too many changes to a successful team. Think Oz will play more than people think over the season though, once he breaks in.
Ameobi is fit apparently.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:25 pm

To start or for the squad. Doubt they'll risk him if they're not sure given the form of Noone and Wildschut.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.