Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
enrdentw
Promising
Promising
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:05 pm

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by enrdentw » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:49 pm

It was absolutely awful. Would love to see how many were in the ground at FT.

Norwood was top draw. About 10x better than Lowe and Murphy. Enjoyed watching him play.

Can't describe how bad that was today. I'm going to say that's the worst performance I have witnessed under PP.

I really hope Williams is decent, we need someone who can hold the ball, pass and tackle in the middle of the park.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7207
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:52 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:41 pm
Our midfield must be the worst in the division, just static - they don't move, they don't compete, they just sit off and watch...no one runs with the ball, they constantly give the ball away.

I know its only one game but Bristol City & B/ham played us off the park and the same again today - we come out in the 1st minute and just don't compete, we just sit back and invite pressure and let them attack us....we just sat and watched them pass & move at will.
Largely agree with this. Sheffield are someone to aspire to. They haven't spent millions but showed you can play good football with a good work ethic and players showing for the ball. For long periods we looked pedestrian.

0-3 didn't flatter them
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8551
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:02 pm

They play with 2 up top as well....

Problem with parky is when it’s shit, it’s really really shit. First time we’ve been behind in the league and it ends predictably.

WTW
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:45 pm

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by WTW » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:08 pm

We got away with that. It could have been a record home defeat if Sheff had continued to play as they did in the first 15 mins.

This is nearer the truth about our quality than the points we've scrounged before (without playing convincingly). I expect another relegation struggle.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1948
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: On a shelf

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by Jugs » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:16 pm

Inept. Worryingly inept.

I said after the Bristol game that we'd struggle if we continued to play Murphy, Lowe and Vela in a midfield 3. This is the Triumvirate of Hell lol.

1) Murphy can't pass or shoot. Poor

2) Lowe has the first touch of a conference player and seems unable to pass forwards

3) Vela doesn't seem to do anything. He's plateaued

When Oz came on, he made runs, was neater and more controlled on the ball and was positive.

Further points:

4) If Noone wasn't injured, it's a shameful decision from PP to leave him out - same as it was to drop Taylor

5) Buckley has turned into such a poor footballer

6) We miss ALF. If we don't replace his dynamism and firepower, we're really going to be short changing ourselves when we need a Plan B

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:22 pm

I'll bet good money that Wilder could get our squad playing reasonable football....

Its all about the coaching & the managers mentality / football philosophy - unfortunately Parkinson doesn't want to play any sort of football....

Mar
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Bolton

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by Mar » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:37 pm

Not sure that was a fair contest from the off what with Sheffield United having a weeks rest compared to our game in midweek.

Wasn't expecting that sort of lethargic performance.

Olkowski, Ameobi and Buckley seemed to be the most lively.

Major drop in performance levels from the likes of Lowe, Murphy, Grounds and Vela. Seemed very standoff-ish.


A blot on our otherwise amazing start to the season. Hopefully rectified next week.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7207
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:01 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:37 pm
Olkowski, Ameobi and Buckley seemed to be the most lively.
You've missed McGennis surely? Thought he worked his socks off and won nearly everything but none of his team mates seemed to realise.

I thought Sammi did well but Olkowski had his poorest game for us so far
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:09 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:01 pm
Mar wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:37 pm
Olkowski, Ameobi and Buckley seemed to be the most lively.
You've missed McGennis surely? Thought he worked his socks off and won nearly everything but none of his team mates seemed to realise.

I thought Sammi did well but Olkowski had his poorest game for us so far
I can only comment on half a game but I thought Olkowski was poor today, saying that I thought he was poor against Bristol City but he was better against B/ham. Magennis works his socks off but no one else is within 50 yards - I seriously wonder what instructions the players are given OR what we work on during the week in training....If I was Magennis I'd be banging on the managers door asking what the fcuk is this, can't we play football.

Wilder in training (midfielders) - when you get the ball, look for a Sheff Utd shirt, pass to feet & move into space to give him an option then get forward and support the forwards.
Parkinson In training (midfielders) - when you get the ball just hoof it anywhere & get back and defend, it doesn't matter whether you pass to a Bolton player or not, oh and don't worry about Magennis just hit it in his general direction and then get back & sit in front of the back four - don't you dare get over that half way line.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20054
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:28 pm

Got off a plane, turned my phone on. Winced - oh that's back down to earth with a bump.

PTs cheered me the f*ck up though. Never change. :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

nicholaldo
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:37 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:52 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:41 pm
Our midfield must be the worst in the division, just static - they don't move, they don't compete, they just sit off and watch...no one runs with the ball, they constantly give the ball away.

I know its only one game but Bristol City & B/ham played us off the park and the same again today - we come out in the 1st minute and just don't compete, we just sit back and invite pressure and let them attack us....we just sat and watched them pass & move at will.
Largely agree with this. Sheffield are someone to aspire to. They haven't spent millions but showed you can play good football with a good work ethic and players showing for the ball. For long periods we looked pedestrian.

0-3 didn't flatter them

Except they have. Quite literally. This season and the season before last. And it shows.

We played poorly today but were comfortably beaten by the better team. It's not worth getting het up about.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:40 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:28 pm
Went this afternoon, paid £33 and left at half time - which is the 1st time I've left early at the Reebok. It was utterly shambolic, abysmal non football - the only player who can play football is Ameobi.

Grounds was /is atrocious, Vela, Murphy & Lowe absolutely shocking - the crowd was poor, awful atmosphere apart from the 2,000 Sheff Utd fans, and I even thought they scored after 5 mins when I thought the ball went over the line off the bar. Worst thing is Sheff Utd for me were not as good as Bristol City or B/ham

That's it for me I'm not paying anymore money to watch that shit - even if we manage to come back & draw. We can't pass, we can't tackle, we don't move - Magennis is completely isolated without a player within 50 yards of him.

A great start points wise, but I'll even go so far as to say the football on display is worse than last season....we will be lucky to survive again this season, and the crowds will dwindle even more - the football or non football we play or don't play really is awful.

And what the fcuk is their striker doing wearing gloves WTF
Cheerio, fairweather.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18436
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:43 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:37 pm
Not sure that was a fair contest from the off what with Sheffield United having a weeks rest compared to our game in midweek....
Que? FFFS!!!
It's the start of the fxcking season. I'd expect anybody who gets paid what they do to be able to play two fxcking games of ninety minutes within seven days.
Maybe we need to change the rules, you know, say, have the entire squad on the bench and rotate all 11 every five minutes... and shorten the game to, say, twenty minutes each half, with 24 hours rest between the first and second halves...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7207
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:43 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:37 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:52 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:41 pm
Our midfield must be the worst in the division, just static - they don't move, they don't compete, they just sit off and watch...no one runs with the ball, they constantly give the ball away.

I know its only one game but Bristol City & B/ham played us off the park and the same again today - we come out in the 1st minute and just don't compete, we just sit back and invite pressure and let them attack us....we just sat and watched them pass & move at will.
Largely agree with this. Sheffield are someone to aspire to. They haven't spent millions but showed you can play good football with a good work ethic and players showing for the ball. For long periods we looked pedestrian.

0-3 didn't flatter them

Except they have. Quite literally. This season and the season before last. And it shows.
Really? Whos that then? I can't remember them spending big on any one player and up top they had Sharpe and Clarke (& McGoldrick) who were a combined cost of 500k.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:47 pm

That was dreadful, but let's not get carried away. People have suddenly gone from being really pleased with the graft and work in the midfield to calling them static. We all (I assume) knew we were going to struggle to get things right at home this season and that results like this would happen. I didn't think it'd be today, but we didn't turn up and if this side we have now doesn't put in a shift and show the right attitude they'll get absolutely destroyed.

I agree that Grounds was awful today, but he's been out with an injury for a long time at the end of last season, not had a decent pre season and he was okay against Leeds. Again, no point declaring him useless at this stage.

We will take absolute batterings this season, because we've got to be on it to live with teams until we find a way to retain the ball more. Today Sheff Utd were gifted the ball over and over again and they used it reasonably well to kill us off.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:47 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:37 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:52 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:41 pm
Our midfield must be the worst in the division, just static - they don't move, they don't compete, they just sit off and watch...no one runs with the ball, they constantly give the ball away.

I know its only one game but Bristol City & B/ham played us off the park and the same again today - we come out in the 1st minute and just don't compete, we just sit back and invite pressure and let them attack us....we just sat and watched them pass & move at will.
Largely agree with this. Sheffield are someone to aspire to. They haven't spent millions but showed you can play good football with a good work ethic and players showing for the ball. For long periods we looked pedestrian.

0-3 didn't flatter them

Except they have. Quite literally. This season and the season before last. And it shows.

We played poorly today but were comfortably beaten by the better team. It's not worth getting het up about.
Last post from me as I'm off out for a few beers - but could anyone (Parkinson fans) seriously explain why fans should pay their hard earned cash to watch that shite week after week after week. I'm not saying football is all about entertainment but 'value for money' this season at home is about 3 /10, and should someone have a word in the ear of Ken Anderson and tell him to stop asking fans to buy tickets every week when the football or non football on display from BWFC is so bad....we don't even attempt to play football.

I love BWFC, but absolutely hate Parkinson's anti football.

PS.... thanks Truewhite, fair weather fan over 40 years lol as the young un's say....don't forget your flask & blanket against QPR

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25987
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:02 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:47 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:37 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:52 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:41 pm
Our midfield must be the worst in the division, just static - they don't move, they don't compete, they just sit off and watch...no one runs with the ball, they constantly give the ball away.

I know its only one game but Bristol City & B/ham played us off the park and the same again today - we come out in the 1st minute and just don't compete, we just sit back and invite pressure and let them attack us....we just sat and watched them pass & move at will.
Largely agree with this. Sheffield are someone to aspire to. They haven't spent millions but showed you can play good football with a good work ethic and players showing for the ball. For long periods we looked pedestrian.

0-3 didn't flatter them

Except they have. Quite literally. This season and the season before last. And it shows.

We played poorly today but were comfortably beaten by the better team. It's not worth getting het up about.
Last post from me as I'm off out for a few beers - but could anyone (Parkinson fans) seriously explain why fans should pay their hard earned cash to watch that shite week after week after week. I'm not saying football is all about entertainment but 'value for money' this season at home is about 3 /10, and should someone have a word in the ear of Ken Anderson and tell him to stop asking fans to buy tickets every week when the football or non football on display from BWFC is so bad....we don't even attempt to play football.

I love BWFC, but absolutely hate Parkinson's anti football.

PS.... thanks Truewhite, fair weather fan over 40 years lol as the young un's say....don't forget your flask & blanket against QPR
I’d be pretty pissed of if I had to spend my money to sit next to the likes of you.

10 points from 5 games. You have moaned about every single Bolton manager in the past 20 years. I’m betting you’ve moaned about every single one in history.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 3945
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Can I just ask if you are leaving at half time are you not reducing the value for money as you've spent £33 for 45 minutes of football. Your speculation has prevented another 45 minutes of football. It's cost you 73p a minute. If you had stayed it would have been 36p per minute and you've missed out on the half time entertainment. No wonder you're pissed off.

GhostoftheBok
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:18 pm

It's also worth noting that it's not true we've come out and been passive from the start against Bristol and Brum. We went at Bristol, in terms of closing, from the off and then had to drop off because the pressing wasn't working well. Against Birmingham we took the game to them initially. It took them a while to get into it. Today was just 90 minutes of crap. I was hoping we'd do much better than that until the home game against Derby, where I thought we'd get hammered.

nicholaldo
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:24 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:43 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:37 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:52 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:41 pm
Our midfield must be the worst in the division, just static - they don't move, they don't compete, they just sit off and watch...no one runs with the ball, they constantly give the ball away.

I know its only one game but Bristol City & B/ham played us off the park and the same again today - we come out in the 1st minute and just don't compete, we just sit back and invite pressure and let them attack us....we just sat and watched them pass & move at will.
Largely agree with this. Sheffield are someone to aspire to. They haven't spent millions but showed you can play good football with a good work ethic and players showing for the ball. For long periods we looked pedestrian.

0-3 didn't flatter them

Except they have. Quite literally. This season and the season before last. And it shows.
Really? Whos that then? I can't remember them spending big on any one player and up top they had Sharpe and Clarke (& McGoldrick) who were a combined cost of 500k.

John Egan - £4.5M
Oliver Norwood - £2.2M

Granted, they sold one of their youth players for big money but it doesn't change the fact that they had players out there today who commanded seven figure transfer fees this summer. The season before last they spent over £5M without recouping any of it back.

Now, Chris Wilder is clearly a very, very good manager and I doubt that Parky will ever play beautiful football but we can't really expect him to properly compete with such a financial gulf.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests