What gives? The Invincibles (old) v The Invincibles (away). Preston (a) 1/9/18 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

What gives? The Invincibles (old) v The Invincibles (away). Preston (a) 1/9/18 3pm

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:53 pm

We put our unexpected 100% away record on the line tomorrow at Deepdale.

Preston's squad evolution really started in January when Jordan Hugill left for West Ham in a reported £9.5m deal. Louis Moult from Motherwell, and Billy Bodin from Bristol Rovers played only a few games last season with the expectation they would fully integrate after a full pre-season with their new teammates. Sadly Bodin, along with influential Sean Macguire got injured in pre-season and aren't available in the early months of the season. In the current TW, left back Greg Cunningham left for Cardiff in a £3.5m, whilst his replacement, Andrew Hughes (£350,000 from Peterborough) arrived, along with midfielder Ryan Ledson (£1m from Oxford), young defender Jordan Storey (undisclosed from Exeter), and attackers Graham Burke (£350,000 from Shamrock Rovers), Brandon Barker and Lucas Nmecha, both highly rated loanees from Man City.

Having only missed out on the play offs on the last day of last season, and with others who finished above them having financial issues, this season appears to be a great chance for Preston to push into the play offs and even challenge towards the top two. However, their start hasn't delivered what was expected having yielded 4 points from 5 games. They did however become the first team to defeat Leeds on Tuesday winning 2-0 in the second round of the Carabao cup.

We appear to be at full strength tomorrow in terms of injuries, with Parky certain to make changes after the 0-3 drubbing we suffered against Sheffield United last week.

3700 tickets have been sold for the away end, including mine, having in an early season optimistic haze agreeing to come up for this one unless we lost 4-0 or worse against Sheffield United. Billy Sharp and his mates may have a lot to answer for! This fixture has been televised live the last two times it has been played, and both games have been dour 0-0 draws. With Parky promising to go back to hard working basics, it seems a similar result is likely tomorrow. Wheater to break the deadlock in the 87th minute? Ave it! 0-1. COYW.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: What gives? The Invincibles (old) v The Invincibles (away). Preston (a) 1/9/18 3pm

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:29 pm

We might be a bit unsettled, but I reckon they'll be moreso with new players. Time to come out of the turtle shells and show some shark qualities. Magennis to knock a couple in and a sizzler each from Wildshut and Sammi. Laugh if you wish.. ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What gives? The Invincibles (old) v The Invincibles (away). Preston (a) 1/9/18 3pm

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:20 pm

Brandon barker is one we have asked about previously isn’t he? Point would be good here. I doubt it will be another 0-0.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:55 pm

Take a point. Fear they like Sheffield Utd did will ruthlessly punish our deficiencies.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:55 pm
Take a point. Fear they like Sheffield Utd did will ruthlessly punish our deficiencies.
They did a proper number on us at our place last year but I think we are a different animal away from home this season. Ironically we might get more joy away than at home if the first few games are anything to go by.

Cheer up it might never happen 😀

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
We're currently third from top, not third from bottom. Just thought I'd mention it... :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:22 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
We're currently third from top, not third from bottom. Just thought I'd mention it... :wink:
These are two of the tougher games though. I fancied us for something at West Brom. Tomorrow will be much tougher imo.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:18 pm

It depends on whether we bother to turn up. If we play with desire and commitment then we can get a result. If not we'll take a battering. If all 11 players show up and we get a bit of luck, we can win. I'll be working, but hopefully we'll get a point for the travelling fans.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:06 am

Will we see Williams today?
What could've happened; did.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:27 am

mullayo wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:06 am
To replace who Mullayo? After a battering it would be easy to think changes, but who had a game bad enough to warrant being dropped? (I ask genuinely, not critically) Sheffield should be a wake-up call and today we need to revert to how we played before them? For me we still need to function more a s a team and the possession figures don't seem to indicate much of that?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:27 am
mullayo wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:06 am
To replace who Mullayo? After a battering it would be easy to think changes, but who had a game bad enough to warrant being dropped? (I ask genuinely, not critically) Sheffield should be a wake-up call and today we need to revert to how we played before them? For me we still need to function more a s a team and the possession figures don't seem to indicate much of that?
Murphy. Easy answer for me. Was Mr Anonymous again.

Formation will change from Sheff Utd game anyway.
Vela was rested he'll be back in somewhere.
Williams will probably get a go late at least.

This is how I'd line up (ideally though not verylikely).
Away: 4-2-3-1
--------------Alnwick------------------
-Olki-----Whe-------Wilson---Grounds
----------Lowe-------Williams-------
---Ameobi-----Vela------Noone---
------------Magennis-----------------

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:05 pm

Taylor recalled for Grounds but Wheavers stay put - Wilson isn't even in the 18

Williams, O'Neil and Wildschut start, Noone perhaps unlucky to drop but could come on (as could Oz and Donaldson)

Vela on the bench, implying Williams may be the farthest forward of our midfield three or we're inverting that midfield triangle to play more of a 4-3-3 without a No.10 - probably Lowe behind O'Neil and Williams
Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 14.07.46.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 14.07.46.png (429.04 KiB) Viewed 5041 times

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:11 pm

Interesting.

I like us defensively. Agree with Taylor coming back in - #StrongAndStable. Likewise O'Neil has shown he can be a solid presence with Lowe.

Noone could probably feel peeved not to be getting a start, but Wildy's marauding, dribbling way will hopefully give PNE something to think about.

Williams coming straight in for Vela a bit of an eyebrow raiser, but let's see how he gets on.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Quite an interesting team. Would have started Noone over Yanic though.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:21 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:05 pm

Williams, O'Neil and Wildschut start, Noone perhaps unlucky to drop but could come on (as could Oz and Donaldson)

Vela on the bench, implying Williams may be the farthest forward of our midfield three or we're inverting that midfield triangle to play more of a 4-3-3 without a No.10 - probably Lowe behind O'Neil and Williams

I like it well enough. Though I'd thought O'Neil would be the farthest forward.
No Buckley so Noone replaces Wildschut. Bringing energy
Vela whoever is tanked out of Williams and O'Neill.Bringing energy
Grounds can cover centreback he basically is one.

I still say Wilson and Grounds will keep the ball on the ground!
Maybe at home. Because we're playing turtle shell hoofball today.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:22 pm

palindromeofbolton wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:11 pm
Interesting.

I like us defensively. Agree with Taylor coming back in - #StrongAndStable. Likewise O'Neil has shown he can be a solid presence with Lowe.

Noone could probably feel peeved not to be getting a start, but Wildy's marauding, dribbling way will hopefully give PNE something to think about.

Williams coming straight in for Vela a bit of an eyebrow raiser, but let's see how he gets on.

Do you think Parky thought they were selling Vela so he rested him last game?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:25 pm

mullayo wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:21 pm

I like it well enough. Though I'd thought O'Neil would be the farthest forward.
No Buckley so Noone replaces Wildschut. Bringing energy
Vela whoever is tanked out of Williams and O'Neill.Bringing energy
Grounds can cover centreback he basically is one.
Injury to Wilson? Playing U23s? I had him in the pecking order clearly ahead of Hobbs.

I still say Wilson and Grounds will keep the ball on the ground!
Maybe at home. Because we're playing turtle shell hoofball today.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:25 pm

mullayo wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:22 pm
Interesting.

Do you think Parky thought they were selling Vela so he rested him last game?
Vela played all game though. Not well either.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:26 pm

Same as last season. PP won't start him no matter how well he plays. Only gets a start if there's an injury.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:40 pm

Interesting.

Aye.

Although the desire to change the back-line is understandable after a 0-3, it makes more sense to reinstate the first-choice left-back than to disrupt the centre-back pairing. I can see Wilson might be a better partner for Wheater (or Beevers) in terms of passing and distribution, but it will be a big call when Beevers is dropped – he's only missed three league games under Parkinson, one through suspension, another through suspected appendicitis and another with a virus. Maybe an international break is the time to make such a change, but if Wheavers help keep a clean sheet today it's a harder call again.

Midfield is a much more fluid selection policy this season. The middle five do most of the chasing in front of a solid back four, so they'll be rotated for energy as well as ability. Vela and Murphy were two points of the triangle with Lowe for four of the first five league games, the exception being Birmingham when O'Neil and Oztumer came in. Now O'Neil and new lad Williams are partnering the indefatigable Lowe, and it'll be intriguing to see how they do.

Out wide, Noone is a bit unlucky to be rotated but to play on the right he'd have to oust our best attacking player. Wildschut has been inconsistent so Noone might get a go on that side after an hour. Depending on how the game's going, Oztumer might come on for one of the central trio if we're losing – or Vela might if we're winning. At least we're getting options.