What gives? The Invincibles (old) v The Invincibles (away). Preston (a) 1/9/18 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What gives? The Invincibles (old) v The Invincibles (away). Preston (a) 1/9/18 3pm

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:28 pm

Yes. Please.

On a slightly different note, wtf is Parky's accent?! He's meant to be from Chorley. I know he spent a lot of time down south, but so have I, and I don't sound like that!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What gives? The Invincibles (old) v The Invincibles (away). Preston (a) 1/9/18 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:28 pm
Yes. Please.

On a slightly different note, wtf is Parky's accent?! He's meant to be from Chorley. I know he spent a lot of time down south, but so have I, and I don't sound like that!
Lives in York doesn’t he? Poshest part of the North!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:32 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Yes. Please.

Lives in York doesn’t he? Poshest part of the North!
Harrogate and Alderley Edge might argue... :D

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Yes. Please.

Went down south for a bit then grew up in Stockton I believe. He went to Southampton's Gateshead (yes really!) Centre of Excellence.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/7 ... o_cash_in/

An article from 12 years ago when he was Colchester boss.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:46 pm

And yes, I can see Williams being a Robbie Savage type figure

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:49 pm

Definitley more steel about this team than last season. Proved after the whistle I guess! Like the sound of Williams, we’ve missed a right horrible footballer in the middle of the park - Henry made a real difference when he got going last season.

Decent point, we could have played well last season but at 2-0 down there would have been only one outcome. Very happy.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:55 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:49 pm
Definitley more steel about this team than last season. Proved after the whistle I guess! Like the sound of Williams, we’ve missed a right horrible footballer in the middle of the park - Henry made a real difference when he got going last season.

Decent point, we could have played well last season but at 2-0 down there would have been only one outcome. Very happy.
Just to point out that Williams is more than a spoiler. He showed every part of a midfield game today apart from grabbing a goal. When you watch him today and O’Neil it really highlights how far Josh Vela is off being a competent midfield player. Absolute light years in terms of his all round game.

Williams on first viewing is everything we needed. Solid, loads of running and the best passer in the team. O’Neil also looks really classy.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:03 pm

Yep I’d be extending that o Neil deal promptly. I would also not be writing Josh off yet, lads spent most of his career playing with Darren Pratley. There was a decent spell with Clough and him in the team that he looked the business (in league one). See who the regular trio are come October. But yeah noted on Williams, sounds the part.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:09 pm

Struggling to pick a side with Oztumer in as well, never mind Vela.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:14 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:09 pm
PP said he will keep rotating, so we'll see

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:16 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
After seeing the Birmingham I’m not sure why we’d be wanting to get Oztumer in the side right now.

Mind it’s beyond me why Wildschut is starting now too.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:18 pm

Oztumer will get his chance I'm sure. Can't be writing him off just yet. Glad we have players like him to come in. So much stronger than last season.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:23 pm

Was my point exactly. He’s a good footballer and not an immediate starter. Bodes well.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:16 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
After seeing the Birmingham I’m not sure why we’d be wanting to get Oztumer in the side right now.

I wasn't there today so I can't comment on Wildschut's performance. It seems to me, though, that if we're to get more out of him we need to try and find a way of playing passes in space for him to run onto. From what I have seen, he's too often ended up in tight spaces, just outside our own half, with two or three opposition players in front of him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:58 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:16 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

I wasn't there today so I can't comment on Wildschut's performance. It seems to me, though, that if we're to get more out of him we need to try and find a way of playing passes in space for him to run onto. From what I have seen, he's too often ended up in tight spaces, just outside our own half, with two or three opposition players in front of him.
He had a beauty. In behind one on one. Second touch was horrendous and he lost control. Should have put us 3-2 up. He has pace. Beyond that I’m struggling personally!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:06 pm

An excellent result. I wasn't there, so I can't comment on the performance, but to go 0-2 down and still earn a point shows character and steel. I'm bloody delighted.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:15 pm

Oztumer might help us win some tight games against deeper defences. We didn't get many of those last year, but the way this first tranche of games has gone, we might get more this time. He's a different kind of player and he may, as someone said on here recently, also be the key to getting the best out of Wildschut.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:32 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:15 pm
Oztumer might help us win some tight games against deeper defences. We didn't get many of those last year, but the way this first tranche of games has gone, we might get more this time. He's a different kind of player and he may, as someone said on here recently, also be the key to getting the best out of Wildschut.
Key to getting best out of Wildschut might be a spirts psychologist. Heads in bits. You can see it clear as day.

Needs confidence.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:32 pm
Key to getting best out of Wildschut might be a spirts psychologist. Heads in bits. You can see it clear as day.

Needs confidence.
He could set up a double act with Nick Allamby - Fits & Spirts :D

Know what you mean and I'd be confident that Parky will be open-minded about the possibilities. Or maybe the boy's just damaged goods. We'll see.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:44 pm

I think Wildschut was badly affected by the Norwich move not working. He's trying way too hard to impress and it means he takes the ball into situations where even a top class player would struggle. He needs to simplify his game.