Venarated to the top once, will the Wally repeat the Hollow folly? - QPR (H) 15/09/18

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Venarated to the top once, will the Wally repeat the Hollow folly? - QPR (H) 15/09/18

Post by Enoch » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:42 am

I'm going with a 3-1 home win.

Simple enough.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Venarated to the top once, will the Wally repeat the Hollow folly? - QPR (H) 15/09/18

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 pm

Too long until the game to make predictions, but if Steve doesn't do plenty in the international break to sort them out I think we could take them to the cleaners. Teams can do a lot in that two weeks, though, so we'll see.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Venarated to the top once, will the Wally repeat the Hollow folly? - QPR (H) 15/09/18

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:46 pm

I always watch England games (hey, I even know the names of most of the English Women footballers :oops: ) but unless it's World Cup stuff and not friendles they should both play midweek and not get in the way of important Championship Saturday games for teams like Bolton. Have they no sense of proportion? :|
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:52 pm

Seven points or better from our next 4 matches (QPR home Boro Ipswich away derby home) would in my opinion be an acceptable return. This next match is I feel the most important so far this season, a win keeps the good vibes going as we enter a tricky away day at Boro.
The next four weeks are that important and could at this early stage be season defining.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:26 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:52 pm
Seven points or better from our next 4 matches (QPR home Boro Ipswich away derby home) would in my opinion be an acceptable return. This next match is I feel the most important so far this season, a win keeps the good vibes going as we enter a tricky away day at Boro.
The next four weeks are that important and could at this early stage be season defining.
"Acceptable" is perhaps a bit harsh... Boro and Derby are top-four and likely to stay there, so to my mind anything against them would be a bonus.

As lovely as our start has been (with the exception of the bit where we conceded five goals without reply), I'm still maintaining expectation level at getting a relegating-avoiding points total then, if possible, building from there. QPR and Ipswich have played six each with one win between them, so we have to be targeting six points from them.

However - and this is not to split hairs - I think the coaching staff won't be thinking in terms of the next four games, but the next six, in two groups of three, between this international break and the next one. We're playing Sat-Wed-Sat (QPR/Boro/Ipswich), then a midweek off, then another Sat-Tue-Sat - Derby home followed by Stoke away then Blackburn home. Six points from the first trio would set us up nicely for the following three, which might tell us a lot about how this season could pan out. If we're flying, we might target six points again. And that would leave us ticking over at nearly two points per game after a quarter of the season.

But remember what happened last time someone targeted two points per game... #stancoyleandolliegartside

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:33 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:26 pm
knobpolisher wrote:
"Acceptable" is perhaps a bit harsh... Boro and Derby are top-four and likely to stay there, so to my mind anything against them would be a bonus.

As lovely as our start has been (with the exception of the bit where we conceded five goals without reply), I'm still maintaining expectation level at getting a relegating-avoiding points total then, if possible, building from there. QPR and Ipswich have played six each with one win between them, so we have to be targeting six points from them.

However - and this is not to split hairs - I think the coaching staff won't be thinking in terms of the next four games, but the next six, in two groups of three, between this international break and the next one. We're playing Sat-Wed-Sat (QPR/Boro/Ipswich), then a midweek off, then another Sat-Tue-Sat - Derby home followed by Stoke away then Blackburn home. Six points from the first trio would set us up nicely for the following three, which might tell us a lot about how this season could pan out. If we're flying, we might target six points again. And that would leave us ticking over at nearly two points per game after a quarter of the season.

But remember what happened last time someone targeted two points per game... #stancoyleandolliegartside
We'll win them all. 12 points from Boro, Derby, Ipswich and QPR. No sweat.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:38 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 pm
Too long until the game to make predictions, but if Steve doesn't do plenty in the international break to sort them out I think we could take them to the cleaners. Teams can do a lot in that two weeks, though, so we'll see.
Shame about the international break, gives them two weeks to plan for us.
If we had them this week I'd say wed roll them - with the hot form and momentum from Preston.
Afterall they have a -10 goal differential after 5 games for a reason.

But now they can study what we do, it's become a bit of a trap game.
Now they'll probably sit deep on us and hog the ball around the back or switch quickly from side to side.
They got to avoid our midfield cause it's a minefield. Mind you their keeper is probably better.

1-0.
What could've happened; did.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:02 am

knobpolisher wrote:

I hope we don't foucus on just the tought games and forget that three points are just as important from supposedly easier games. There are no easy games in this league as we should very well know, so get the points in where we can; no easing up and differentiating between opponents. We need a bit of red mist in the eyeballs rather than rose-coloured lens in the glasses....Amen. :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:37 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:02 am
knobpolisher wrote:

I hope we don't foucus on just the tought games and forget that three points are just as important from supposedly easier games. There are no easy games in this league as we should very well know, so get the points in where we can; no easing up and differentiating between opponents. We need a bit of red mist in the eyeballs rather than rose-coloured lens in the glasses....Amen. :wink:
In this league the idea that any game is easier is a fallacy. QPR at home will be as tough as Middlesbrough away. Potentially. On their day any side can wallop any other in this league.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Tough one to call because we've been very patchy - and at times awful - at home so far. After the Reading game, I'd have said this was a nailed-on 3 pts. Now? Draw written all over it.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:23 pm

Magennis out for Saturday

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Jugs wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:23 pm
Magennis out for Saturday
With Donaldson and the new lad available it could be worse. I reckon either of them will be fired up to do well.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:17 pm

With the games coming up, we should be fired up for this one.

Could potentially go 0-1 points in the 3 after this, so it's important that we get a good result
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:40 am

Doidge back to his parent club???

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:04 am

I hope for their sake either they've been paid already or that contract is worded well!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:49 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:40 am
Doidge back to his parent club???
As Iles puts it, "There has been no definitive statement on this [whether loanees/Doidge would be sent back] - and there has been no precedent. No club has been in admin for five years and certainly not since the transfer system was changed."

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 am

Thought the whole point of tweaking the loan windows was that players can only be registered in those. Could Doige, say, be registered with Forest Green?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:02 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 am
Thought the whole point of tweaking the loan windows was that players can only be registered in those. Could Doige, say, be registered with Forest Green?
No, he's registered for us now, but as a loanee. I would imagine the "loan-to-buy" is an agreement between the two clubs, not involving the league, who would get involved during the next 'permanent' window. Might be wrong though.