Where Are They Now? Marvin Sordell

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Where Are They Now? Marvin Sordell

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:28 am

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... depression

I know Enoch posted this in Other Footy but it's had no replies – and besides, it's a bit closer to home than laughing at West Ham. Although we all had other things on our mind this last Monday, it was World Suicide Prevention Day. To mark it, the Guardian released an interview with Marvin Sordell which paints an extremely bleak picture of how professional football has treated mental health.

He doesn't name our club specifically, but he's only ever gone on loan from two of his clubs, and the other was early in his career at Watford. I have no doubt whatsoever that the enforced loan he mentions is when Freedman sent him to Charlton, the same summer we acquired Rob Hall, Jermaine Beckford, Jay Spearing, Marc Tierney and Andre Moritz. We can perhaps write that off as a poorly-managed squad-changing decision; some of the other stuff suggests a club with far too little concern for its employees. I only hope it's better now, for many reasons.

cophilie
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Where Are They Now? Marvin Sordell

Post by cophilie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:41 pm

It's a really interesting piece, and I take my hat off to him for talking about everything he's gone through so openly. I remember when he was here there were quite a few references to homesickness, twitter addiction and general attitude, but all with the overall tone that he had to 'man up'.

Really doesn't paint the club in a good light, and as you say I hope it's better now.

He seems to be in a much better place (mentally rather than physically, because it's Burton) now, which is the most important thing.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: Where Are They Now? Marvin Sordell

Post by Enoch » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:35 am

I wonder how many of the current squad are fighting this battle every day.