A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4267
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by Enoch » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:15 am

We visit promotion favourites Stoke City. Why do they do that every season?

Nailed on 1-2 away win.

COYW!

For those that don't know it's an evening kick-off.

The_Gun
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 am

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by The_Gun » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:48 am

You'd have to assume that we will make some changes for this one, but options are limited at the moment. I'd guess O'Neil, Wildschut and Vela would be in contention to make the starting lineup.

I'd certainly take a point ahead of the derby at the weekend.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38531
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:35 am

Nice to see Hobbs made The Sun's "Team of the week". Pity they didn't treat us as well in our match report: The did mention Stephen Darby, but most of it was about Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney....plonkers.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17374
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:54 am

According to the BN's online headline, Alnwick could be "out until October", which could mean he'd be back at Stoke.

However, in the meat of the piece it suggests he may be out until the international break, which starts on Sunday.

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8596
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:53 am

TBF the other lad kept a clean sheet and made a very good pass for the goal! Why should Alnwick get his place back automatically?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26123
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:08 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:53 am
TBF the other lad kept a clean sheet and made a very good pass for the goal! Why should Alnwick get his place back automatically?
Alnwick is a great shotstopper but Matthews looked better on distribution and I'd agree irrespective of Alnwick's fitness keeps his place until proven otherwise. Same with Grounds, even were Taylor fit, he's done enough to earn his place on Saturday.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38531
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:08 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:53 am
TBF the other lad kept a clean sheet and made a very good pass for the goal! Why should Alnwick get his place back automatically?
Alnwick is a great shotstopper but Matthews looked better on distribution and I'd agree irrespective of Alnwick's fitness keeps his place until proven otherwise. Same with Grounds, even were Taylor fit, he's done enough to earn his place on Saturday.
Tomorrow?
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26123
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:08 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:53 am
TBF the other lad kept a clean sheet and made a very good pass for the goal! Why should Alnwick get his place back automatically?
Alnwick is a great shotstopper but Matthews looked better on distribution and I'd agree irrespective of Alnwick's fitness keeps his place until proven otherwise. Same with Grounds, even were Taylor fit, he's done enough to earn his place on Saturday.
Tomorrow?
I meant he did enough on Saturday to earn his place tomorrow. Badly worded!

The_Gun
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 am

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by The_Gun » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:20 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:08 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:53 am
TBF the other lad kept a clean sheet and made a very good pass for the goal! Why should Alnwick get his place back automatically?
Alnwick is a great shotstopper but Matthews looked better on distribution and I'd agree irrespective of Alnwick's fitness keeps his place until proven otherwise. Same with Grounds, even were Taylor fit, he's done enough to earn his place on Saturday.
Tomorrow?
I meant he did enough on Saturday to earn his place tomorrow. Badly worded!
I wasn't at the game on Saturday, but Grounds must have improved dramatically if you think he should be starting in front of Taylor.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26123
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:02 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:55 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:20 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:08 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:53 am
TBF the other lad kept a clean sheet and made a very good pass for the goal! Why should Alnwick get his place back automatically?
Alnwick is a great shotstopper but Matthews looked better on distribution and I'd agree irrespective of Alnwick's fitness keeps his place until proven otherwise. Same with Grounds, even were Taylor fit, he's done enough to earn his place on Saturday.
Tomorrow?
I meant he did enough on Saturday to earn his place tomorrow. Badly worded!
I wasn't at the game on Saturday, but Grounds must have improved dramatically if you think he should be starting in front of Taylor.
Oh he did. He was excellent Saturday. As were the whole team. But Grounds looked very strong and used the ball well in general. I'd say his work on the ball sets him ahead of Taylor if he keeps that level up. And I like Taylor - a lot.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1713
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:53 pm

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Stoke, have spent a lot on players in the summer, and have a number of players who were highly rated in the Premiership, such as Jack Butland and Joe Allen. They should be near the top of this league, and may well end up there by the end, but right now something doesn't seem right there. If we can get close to putting the same team out as against Derby, then that style of play will be perfect for Stoke, and I can see us winning this. Hope Parky doesn't go all 5-4-1 and mess it up.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17374
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:14 pm

Sometimes, when a defender is struggling - as Grounds undoubtedly has, to the point where the management have felt forced to defend him against questions the press have felt empowered to ask - what he or she needs is a good old-fashioned backs-to-the-wall game of sitting in. Grounds' most notable problems have come in his own half rather than the opposition's, but sometimes simplicity of task brings successful focus.

I have nothing against Taylor, a solid professional who's played his own part in several hard-earned nil-againsts, but if Grounds can use the ball better in possession then it's another possible step in our evolution. Put bluntly, in the lower division we could afford to keep hacking the ball clear because most opponents were too gormless to use it well. In this tier, we need to treasure it more and create our own chances, even - especially - in minority-possession games. Olkowski seems an outlet, Oztumer is threatening to settle in, Lowe's not bad at the unfussy recirculation of the ball - so if we can get (more) defenders who look to find a pass rather than klonk it klear, so much the better.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38531
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:27 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:11 pm
Stoke, have spent a lot on players in the summer, and have a number of players who were highly rated in the Premiership, such as Jack Butland and Joe Allen. They should be near the top of this league, and may well end up there by the end, but right now something doesn't seem right there. If we can get close to putting the same team out as against Derby, then that style of play will be perfect for Stoke, and I can see us winning this. Hope Parky doesn't go all 5-4-1 and mess it up.
Biggest question down the Potteries appears to be will Bojan, ex Barcelon and Ajax star who Stoke paid 1.8 mil for, be starting tomorrow night against us? Don't know much about him, but he's the main topic down there right now it seems.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8596
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:18 pm

I thought Bojan cost them loads?

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8596
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 pm

I have to say, I’d take a changed side in this with 0 points to be back to saturdays team (and result) against the hill Billy’s.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1948
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: On a shelf

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by Jugs » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:54 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 pm
I have to say, I’d take a changed side in this with 0 points to be back to saturdays team (and result) against the hill Billy’s.
Nah gotta get revenge on these c*nts for relegating us.

Winnable game.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38531
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:12 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 pm
I have to say, I’d take a changed side in this with 0 points to be back to saturdays team (and result) against the hill Billy’s.
Point here, point there, point anywhere no matter who we play. We have to know by now that every game is a relegation trap. Win em all, that way we have no worries. ... :oyea:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Spartan2
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:53 pm

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by Spartan2 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:34 am

Can we push their keeper into the net while he's holding the ball for an easy 1 nil head start. Seems fair.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38531
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:16 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:16 am
Repeating a favourite Stoke memory of their fan with a big placard stating 5-0 after that cup debacle. We obliged that day and beat them 5-0 in reply.... :lol:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7257
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:02 pm
Oh he did. He was excellent Saturday. As were the whole team. But Grounds looked very strong and used the ball well in general. I'd say his work on the ball sets him ahead of Taylor if he keeps that level up. And I like Taylor - a lot.
I thought Grounds played well although he appeared to be under instruction to be more central when they were in possession. Perhaps on the understanding that Buckley would drop in and mark Derby's bloke on the right wing?

It worked fine and Grounds had a good game but on their one real chance, Grounds failed to cut out the cross and Mount (?) was in behind him and probably should have scored.

Possibly I'm splitting hairs. More like Saturdays overall performance suggests we wouldn't miss Taylor
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests