A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by Jugs » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:58 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:27 am
I'm not realy sure Ozzy is the answer to our attacking midfield woes when we have a total, pure clogger up top. You could swap in David Silva for him and we'd barely do any better...

Square pegs in round holes going forward because the front man isn't much of a threat when running the channels, or, when that option isn't there, isn't technically good enough to receive the ball to feet and do something with it. And it all could have been so different had Magennis gobbled up that chance in the opening 5 minutes.

Donaldson looked like someone I played sunday league with a few years ago. Shocking. And Wildshut flatters to deceive. Sammy Ammy can't come back soon enough from an attacking point of view.

A pretty bad night all round.
That's what I argued last night. I like Otz but him and Magennis are on two different wavelengths

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:15 pm

enrdentw wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:06 pm
Ryan Woods was absolutely quality. A joy to watch.

I personally didn't think it was that bad. We were beaten by a better side. They had better players. I also think that the goal was rightly chalked off for Megennis grappling Williams.

I think Stoke will be top 6.
Top Fxcking 6?
On what knob head logic do you predict that precisely???
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:47 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:15 pm
enrdentw wrote:

I personally didn't think it was that bad. We were beaten by a better side. They had better players. I also think that the goal was rightly chalked off for Megennis grappling Williams.

Top Fxcking 6?
Their squad is top 6 easily. I wouldn't be surprised if that is where they finish. Depends on spirit. But on paper that squad is pushing top 2. Clearly they've had issues with internal spirit. If they resolve that they could very easily be top 6. Same thing at Villa. An absolute wealth of talent compared to most of the league but players don't seem to be putting a shift in consistently, probably because half want away.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:13 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
enrdentw wrote:

Top Fxcking 6?
I'm more offended that he thinks our 'goal' was rightly disallowed.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:39 am
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:35 am
Just seen the goal. Load of bollocks. Six of one. Appreciate it's hard hard for refs when you don't see how those sort of tussles start but it's as much a penalty as it is a foul the other way and the usual scientific response is to say you're both at it so neither of you are getting owt.
This. Both were holding each other. I suspect he gave it for Yanic being on top of the keeper though.
Ah, that makes more sense. I think keepers are overprotected but that's the way it is. You make any move and touch them in the six yard box and they'll give a foul. As long as we get them!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:51 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:31 am
Seems like Parkinson disagrees with most in regards to the awful passing last night and thinks that we passed it well....

"I think we acquitted ourselves very well in the second half. We passed the ball well and got into some threatening positions, and really I do think the referee has cost us tonight"

And for what its worth, I've watched the Magennis disallowed goal several times, and I think it was the correct decision - you can't grapple like that, continually pushing the defender back with his arms and expect to get away with it, I'm not saying it was one sided but most refs would have disallowed that goal IMO
The goal was disallowed for a block on the keeper, soft to give but keepers get more protection than the good old days.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:06 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:51 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Seems like Parkinson disagrees with most in regards to the awful passing last night and thinks that we passed it well....

"I think we acquitted ourselves very well in the second half. We passed the ball well and got into some threatening positions, and really I do think the referee has cost us tonight"

And for what its worth, I've watched the Magennis disallowed goal several times, and I think it was the correct decision - you can't grapple like that, continually pushing the defender back with his arms and expect to get away with it, I'm not saying it was one sided but most refs would have disallowed that goal IMO
The goal was disallowed for a block on the keeper, soft to give but keepers get more protection than the good old days. Megennis and Williams are facing each other holding arms so I fail to see how there is a shove in the back. The only shove in the back you'll see is from Butland.
Where have I mentioned a shove in the back ?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:11 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:06 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:51 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:

The goal was disallowed for a block on the keeper, soft to give but keepers get more protection than the good old days. Megennis and Williams are facing each other holding arms so I fail to see how there is a shove in the back. The only shove in the back you'll see is from Butland.
Where have I mentioned a shove in the back ?
It's been a long day. You beat me to it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:05 pm

Stoke won’t finish top 6, not if they keep that charlatan rowett in charge. How he keeps getting decent jobs is beyond me. Wasn’t impressed with them at all other than Woods. There’s players there who would perform better under a decent manager, Shawcross, Butland, Afobe, Bojan.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:23 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:05 pm
Stoke won’t finish top 6, not if they keep that charlatan rowett in charge. How he keeps getting decent jobs is beyond me. Wasn’t impressed with them at all other than Woods. There’s players there who would perform better under a decent manager, Shawcross, Butland, Afobe, Bojan.
Agree. Rowett a poor choice for a side that expects to win most weeks. Does well creating a siege mentality at struggling clubs though. He keeps getting decent jobs as he jumps ship at the first opportunity.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:45 pm

I'd have a penny chew on Stoke finishing top6. They should really be winning it, they have spent the most, and have the biggest budget. Rowett has gotten Birmingham into the top half on a small budget, pre Trillion Trophy Asia days, and Derby into the top6 on a way smaller budget than Stoke have.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:56 pm

I thought he spent shitloads at derby (relative to the rest of us)?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:43 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:56 pm
Somebody's bound to pop up shortly and claim it isn't really about money. It's a bit like putting John Sargent against Louis Smith in a dance contest....:lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:41 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
enrdentw wrote:

Top Fxcking 6?
"Knob head logic"
Rowett is a decent manager.
Got much better players than most clubs in the division.
Played well last night without trying.
We'll see...

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:43 pm

I can't believe people are criticising Rowett and doubting his credentials... Absolute nonsense...

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:47 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:56 pm
Ok you have tempted me to do a bit of quick research:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/derby-c ... lpos=&w_s=

^^ According to transfermarkt Derby spent £11m, and received £19m in transfer fees in 2017/18. Will Hughes and Tom Ince bringing in big transfer fees.

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/ ... 4084334592

^^ Whilst this Swiss Ramble twitter thread is primarily about Leeds, the table here shows Derby had the sixth highest wages to turnover ratio in 2016/17. It is still too early to look at 2017/18 as most teams haven't produced their financial results yet. So we might conclude that Derby don't skimp when it comes to wages, but in 2017/18 will not be as high as those clubs receiving parachute payments who will have a far bigger turnover, and possibly the likes of Wolves and Fulham who gambled, and in Fulham's case receiving lower level parachute payments.

So maybe 6th was around par? Certainly only Cardiff from those who finished above them are likely to have had a lower budget. Hull and Sunderland who were receiving £40m in parachute payments, would have had a far bigger budget, but had huge issues that made them basket cases and so didn't challenge at the top.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/stoke-c ... verein/512

This season Stoke are almost certain to have the highest budget, as they along with WBA and Swansea are receiving the highest parachute payments, and have received big fees in the summer for Shaquiri and Choupo-Moting. From transfermarkt above, they have spent almost £40m on transfer fees in the summer.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:07 pm

Yeah I looked myself. Sold big to be fair but that’s some outlay...

For me, par for that stoke squad is second place. Anything less than play offs and he’s failed. I reckon he’s gonna fail. We’ll see!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:08 pm

enrdentw wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:43 pm
I can't believe people are criticising Rowett and doubting his credentials... Absolute nonsense...
Are you his mum? 😂
Other than getting a tune out of Birmingham for half a season he’s done nowt yet.