Villainous Intent. V Aston Villa away Friday 02-11-18 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Villainous Intent. V Aston Villa away Friday 02-11-18 7-45.

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:21 pm

Does anybody understand our set pieces these days? Last night we had a corner and all our big guys were stood 35 yards away from goal. I have seen other teams do something similar but they start from around the edge of the area. It looks impossible for anyone to get a decent header towards goal when they have to sprint 25 yards just to get to the ball!

Regardless of what we are trying to do in open play we really need our set pieces to be productive again. They have always been responsible for a big portion of our goals under Parky, and were even at the start of this season. The delivery recently has declined also. Ozzy's corners aren't great. Not sure what has been going on lately but we need to sort it out!

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:42 pm

I am with Tango. We really look like a very "soft" team in this league and currently, every other team sees us a banker for 3 points. We just dont seem to know how to attack. We need our wingers and attacking CM to take on players when we get it high, but instead we turn it back to keep possession until it goes back to one of our Center Half's. We will never win a game playing like this.

Ameobi is like a "god" to this team and I hope Ireland can be half the player he was and not afraid to drive at opposing players.

I dont know what our style of football is. PP seems to try to adjust the team according to who we are playing after scouting them. The other teams play their natural game and dont worry about changing to play us. It appears to me, our players dont know either what is our game and therefore have lost confidence and are afraid to make mistakes lest they be dropped for the next game.

All is not lost. Ameobi will be back soon and hopefully can stay fit. When he got injured, someone posted asking if we were a one man team and his loss should not be a problem. Well, it is, and need him back desperately, and so does Phil to save his job.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:05 pm

We simply don't run at teams. Our "ole" style passing game always ends up going backwards followed by a hoof and hope. Nobody runs at defenders because nobody manages to find space, or even appears to want the ball and opposing teams know it. As soon as we get a ball to a man somebody runs right at him and smothers his options. I'm betting anybody we play is rejoicing in Sammi's injury spell and hoping it will extend as long as possible. Yes, it was me that asked are we a one-man team, and that question shouldn't even need asking. We don't make teams back away from us half often enough and we seem obsessed with passing anyway but incisively. I said it before the game, I'll repeat it: We spend too much time in our half. We don't need nine men there with one waiting with no support for a wallop ball to head to a defender. Kick the offside trap in the head, keep a couple of defenders back facing the ball and stop chasing shadows against faster opponents. In short, take it to them....we really have nothing to lose. You don't lose points, only don't gain any.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:28 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Parkinson's time WILL NOT BE DUE TO COME TO END under this parsimonious Chairman until he (Parkinson) can be sacked for no dosh outlay from Ken's pockets. We are, unfortunately, stuck with a shit manager, who has assembled a team of shit players, who cannot organise a ball pass between them, because we have a tit of a Chairman.
That opinion - whilst i don't share it - is fair enough. But what you, and others with similar thoughts, fail to offer is a credible alternative. We are stuck with a manager who has done a great job but may be limited / which other players should we have assembled - I don't recall there being many viable alternatives. And when we were going to go bust i don't recall many other alternatives to the current chairman...

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:54 am

dave the minion wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:28 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Parkinson's time WILL NOT BE DUE TO COME TO END under this parsimonious Chairman until he (Parkinson) can be sacked for no dosh outlay from Ken's pockets. We are, unfortunately, stuck with a shit manager, who has assembled a team of shit players, who cannot organise a ball pass between them, because we have a tit of a Chairman.
That opinion - whilst i don't share it - is fair enough. But what you, and others with similar thoughts, fail to offer is a credible alternative. We are stuck with a manager who has done a great job but may be limited / which other players should we have assembled - I don't recall there being many viable alternatives. And when we were going to go bust i don't recall many other alternatives to the current chairman...

It cannot have escaped the attention of a majority of Bolton supporters that we can neither defend or score goals. To look at Parkinson's record of his last year in charge at Bradford in div 1 is instructive. Although Bradford finished in the play-offs in 5th place, they had the lowest goals scored, but their goals against was significantly lower. That indicates that he recognised the importance of good defence then. In comparison he is now all over the place and for results to improve most of the efforts should be devoted to developing a solid defence. No BS, just get stuck in, challenge and mark closely.

I believe that the majority of the squad can be improved but it needs a strong manager to instill belief. People say that there are no alternatives. West Brom found one in Darren Moore. If we continue to be parochial and only look at a narrow gene pool for a manager then we may continue with mediocre appointments.

Regarding finances, only Anderson will know if a change of manager can be afforded but one thing is absolutely certain - if results continue as now, he will be forced into a change.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:46 am

bedwetter2 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:54 am
dave the minion wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

It cannot have escaped the attention of a majority of Bolton supporters that we can neither defend or score goals. To look at Parkinson's record of his last year in charge at Bradford in div 1 is instructive. Although Bradford finished in the play-offs in 5th place, they had the lowest goals scored, but their goals against was significantly lower. That indicates that he recognised the importance of good defence then. In comparison he is now all over the place and for results to improve most of the efforts should be devoted to developing a solid defence. No BS, just get stuck in, challenge and mark closely.

I believe that the majority of the squad can be improved but it needs a strong manager to instill belief. People say that there are no alternatives. West Brom found one in Darren Moore. If we continue to be parochial and only look at a narrow gene pool for a manager then we may continue with mediocre appointments.

Regarding finances, only Anderson will know if a change of manager can be afforded but one thing is absolutely certain - if results continue as now, he will be forced into a change.

He won't have forgotten. It's just more difficult to organise one when we're so financially restricted. It doesn't totally excuse recent results but you must have noticed that we rarely get blown away. The most we've conceded is three, twice. Other than that it's generally just one or two goals per match (which still clearly a problem when we don't score any ourselves). It's also worth pointing out that Darren Moore's defence has conceded more than Parky's thus far, despite him spending £12M on his back five in the summer and already having Craig Dawson. If we want to help our defence become more solid, one of the best things we can do is offer some sort of proper threat further upfield. Or at least find a way to keep possession in the opposition's half.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:00 pm

Against Villa, it was basic defensive mistakes that cost us. No one was aware of Grealish's run, while Olkowski wasn't aware of anything going on around him all night. It's simple stuff that can and should be cut out.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:42 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:00 pm
Against Villa, it was basic defensive mistakes that cost us. No one was aware of Grealish's run, while Olkowski wasn't aware of anything going on around him all night. It's simple stuff that can and should be cut out.

It was a general point I was making. Defensively, we're doing okay with pretty ordinary players. Not brilliantly, and obviously we can always do better, but we're doing okay. If we can't keep possession, though, we'll concede eventually, and if we can't score ourselves then we all know what that leads to.

The lack of goals is the main problem. We can probably stay up conceding an average of 1.3 goals per match. We'll struggle to if we continue to score an average of 0.7.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:55 pm

Step 1 on the road to recovery: Win a game. An ancient Chinese proverb says that a thousand mile journey begins with the first step. We're not that drastic, but the point 's the same. Win.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:00 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:55 pm
Step 1 on the road to recovery: Win a game. An ancient Chinese proverb says that a thousand mile journey begins with the first step. We're not that drastic, but the point 's the same. Win.

If only it were that easy...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:39 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Ok, here's an alternative: The Chairman (whoever he is, Ken included) invests in a manager with a plan. That 'plan' is allowed to come to fruition through the medium of the chairman investing in players that fit into the manager's plan. We've done it before with Davies and Allardyce, Derby did it with Whoever and Clough, Leeds did it with Whoever and Revie, Man U did it with Whoever and Red Nose. The fact is that Whoever tried to replace Revie with Clough at Leeds and failed, thereafter they went downhill big style. Both Derby and Forest imported Clough to have their golden moments in the sunshine. Red Nose outlasted Whoever and still succeeded under The American Wankers.
The point here is, if it ain't working fix it, and if it is working leave it alone.
It hasn't been working for us since Allardyce. It's no good saying it'll be the same and we should stick with Parkinson, we shouldn't - he's not got a plan. We need a chairman who can appoint a manager with a plan. I don't care who the Chairman is so long as he invests. I don't care what the plan is so long as it works. I'm pretty sure Big Mick would have a plan: Very boring plan, but a plan. I'm absolutely positive there is a youngish Dutch/Scottish/Norwegian/Polish manager out there with a plan - but we're not even looking for him.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:50 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:39 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Ok, here's an alternative: The Chairman (whoever he is, Ken included) invests in a manager with a plan. That 'plan' is allowed to come to fruition through the medium of the chairman investing in players that fit into the manager's plan. We've done it before with Davies and Allardyce, Derby did it with Whoever and Clough, Leeds did it with Whoever and Revie, Man U did it with Whoever and Red Nose. The fact is that Whoever tried to replace Revie with Clough at Leeds and failed, thereafter they went downhill big style. Both Derby and Forest imported Clough to have their golden moments in the sunshine. Red Nose outlasted Whoever and still succeeded under The American Wankers.
The point here is, if it ain't working fix it, and if it is working leave it alone.
It hasn't been working for us since Allardyce. It's no good saying it'll be the same and we should stick with Parkinson, we shouldn't - he's not got a plan. We need a chairman who can appoint a manager with a plan. I don't care who the Chairman is so long as he invests. I don't care what the plan is so long as it works. I'm pretty sure Big Mick would have a plan: Very boring plan, but a plan. I'm absolutely positive there is a youngish Dutch/Scottish/Norwegian/Polish manager out there with a plan - but we're not even looking for him.

That's all well and good. But what do you do if, like us, the Chairman doesn't have the money to invest in those players and there's no real hint of a takeover in the offing?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:03 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:50 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
dave the minion wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

That's all well and good. But what do you do if, like us, the Chairman doesn't have the money to invest in those players and there's no real hint of a takeover in the offing?
We sink without trace!
Like Leeds did, and Sheffield United do on a ten yearly cycle.
The Chairman shouldn't really have taken over, especially as it cost him only a quid, if it turns out he isn't really a businessman. It's not rocket science that investment brings returns in this fxcking market!!! It's one of the most studied markets on the planet.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:10 pm

And who is coming along to invest in us? All sounds simple, investor walks in, new people who want to spend, new manager with ideas. It's all La La Land and make believe, dreamland, until this happens we are stuck with this manager and a chairman who just wants his profit at the end of the day.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:17 pm

twilight wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:10 pm
And who is coming along to invest in us? All sounds simple, investor walks in, new people who want to spend, new manager with ideas. It's all La La Land and make believe, dreamland, until this happens we are stuck with this manager and a chairman who just wants his profit at the end of the day.
Yes. I know. That's why I'm so fxcking depressed. That's why I kick off when somebody suggests we need to 'take it on the chin' or 'chill out', but especially when it's suggested 'we're doing better than we should be!'.
SO FXCKING WHAT. I WANT MORE, BETTER, HIGHER, MORE EXCITING. At the very fxcking least ENTERFXCKINGTAINING!!!!!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:53 pm

I feel the same LLS, I think all Bolton fans feel like that. I feel even more frustrated when I see the likes of Wigan being taken over by some Chines Billionaire, WIGAN!! I hope Ken isn't taking the p**s when he says he is talking to "several investors". I just get the feeling he is though. In the meantime I dread going at game times it's horrible to watch, my better half says it almost isnt worth the effort, and I ain't going alone to sit and watch that sh*t. It's almost time to give up on them, do I feel suicidal? well yes watching them I do :hang:

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:45 pm

When Big Sam and his multi millionaire chums take over we'll be fine.
Sam I'm sure will be director of football with a newly installed manager.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:58 pm

twilight wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:53 pm
I feel the same LLS, I think all Bolton fans feel like that. I feel even more frustrated when I see the likes of Wigan being taken over by some Chines Billionaire, WIGAN!! I hope Ken isn't taking the p**s when he says he is talking to "several investors". I just get the feeling he is though. In the meantime I dread going at game times it's horrible to watch, my better half says it almost isnt worth the effort, and I ain't going alone to sit and watch that sh*t. It's almost time to give up on them, do I feel suicidal? well yes watching them I do :hang:
Pretty much sums up my feelings. If we go down, as looks likely at the moment, then I hope we have a change of manager and approach. I'm not prepared for another season in league one with the Insane one telling me again we don't have the players to play better football than the likes of Chesterfield, Afc Wimbledon etc
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:23 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:03 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:50 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
dave the minion wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

We sink without trace!
Like Leeds did, and Sheffield United do on a ten yearly cycle.
The Chairman shouldn't really have taken over, especially as it cost him only a quid, if it turns out he isn't really a businessman. It's not rocket science that investment brings returns in this fxcking market!!! It's one of the most studied markets on the planet.
His aim was to come in turn the club round and sell for a profit with very little investment along the way. It’s still the plan - only it’s taking longer. I’d argue the fact he’s not wanting to put his personal wealth in the club is testament to the fact he’s a good business man. Perhaps a shit chairman of a football club though.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:23 pm

His aim was to come in turn the club round and sell for a profit with very little investment along the way. It’s still the plan - only it’s taking longer. I’d argue the fact he’s not wanting to put his personal wealth in the club is testament to the fact he’s a good business man. Perhaps a shit chairman of a football club though.
And meanwhile causing upset and discontent amongst the players, and even breaking the law by not paying wages owed by contract and, in doing so, damaging the reputation of the club's credibility and honesty? I already stated K.A stepped in and kept us afloat, but business is business seems to be his priority and keeping money in the bank at the disregard of all else. If this latest wages fiasco is true and Sammi did indeed refuse to play because wages hadn't been paid, then the sooner a buyer appears, the better. Businessmen are two a penny of little interest to football fans. A football team is what they want, not financial statements or false promises.