Villainous Intent. V Aston Villa away Friday 02-11-18 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Villainous Intent. V Aston Villa away Friday 02-11-18 7-45.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:45 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:23 pm

His aim was to come in turn the club round and sell for a profit with very little investment along the way. It’s still the plan - only it’s taking longer. I’d argue the fact he’s not wanting to put his personal wealth in the club is testament to the fact he’s a good business man. Perhaps a shit chairman of a football club though.
And meanwhile causing upset and discontent amongst the players, and even breaking the law by not paying wages owed by contract and, in doing so, damaging the reputation of the club's credibility and honesty? I already stated K.A stepped in and kept us afloat, but business is business seems to be his priority and keeping money in the bank at the disregard of all else. If this latest wages fiasco is true and Sammi did indeed refuse to play because wages hadn't been paid, then the sooner a buyer appears, the better. Businessmen are two a penny of little interest to football fans. A football team is what they want, not financial statements or false promises.
Its that vs flush a few million quid of his own cash down the toilet. In all seriousness, what would anyone in his position do?

He's a businessman trying to make a profit. He's never promised that he'd invest significant amounts of his own money, quite the opposite. Eddie invested over a hundred million - its all gone. His family will at best see a tiny fraction of it back. Eddie was a supporter. Ken is not. Its easy to say "what supporters want is X, Y and Z" but ultimately all that costs money. They club loses money. So someone else's money. Ken has shown a willingness to loan the club a bare minimum to scrape by then take it back out. Were he not doing that we'd likely be worse off.

Reality of what our club can actually be without someone just pumping money in is this. When ED turned the taps off - everyone said we couldn't be reliant on an owner funding us anymore. We're not, in the main. But this is it. This is what we can afford and how we exist. We're not a rich club, we're poorly supported (relative to the population of the town and surrounding area) and we therefore are where we are.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:58 am

Here's the thing with Ken...

I get that he doesn't want to flush his own cash down the pan, but he shouldn't be signing player contracts unless we have the turnover and ability to pay them. Hitting an occasional cash flow problem is a reality of business, but when it's happening as frequently as it is, then it means he's signing contracts the club can't support. If it is true that he's taking circa 500k a year out of the club for his own salary, then I suggest he takes out a more reasonable 80-100k a year out and use the rest to pay the contracts he's signed.

Undoubtedly he's benefited the club when it's come to player signings and getting better value, but I'd rather he just handed it over to someone either prepared to cover the contracts we're struggling to pay, or just ensure that we live within our means...even if that means L1 or L2.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:15 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:58 am
Here's the thing with Ken...

I get that he doesn't want to flush his own cash down the pan, but he shouldn't be signing player contracts unless we have the turnover and ability to pay them. Hitting an occasional cash flow problem is a reality of business, but when it's happening as frequently as it is, then it means he's signing contracts the club can't support. If it is true that he's taking circa 500k a year out of the club for his own salary, then I suggest he takes out a more reasonable 80-100k a year out and use the rest to pay the contracts he's signed.

Undoubtedly he's benefited the club when it's come to player signings and getting better value, but I'd rather he just handed it over to someone either prepared to cover the contracts we're struggling to pay, or just ensure that we live within our means...even if that means L1 or L2.
Being fair it is likely cash flow issues rather than being able to afford their contracts. Plus if he hadn't signed players imagine where we'd be? I mean at some point he walks away and says "admin it is" if he hasn't sold it. But we're there on our own quicker.

Certainly not a defence this of Ken. He's as slippery as they come. But just shouting at him to stick his money in for better players or manager or whatever is naive to the situation. He's not doing it.

As for the money he's taken out, lets see what happens next year. He claims he's not taken a salary so the payments to him and his associated businesses may be specific to reimburse him for costs administering club business. For example - paying off loans out of his own funds. We shall see.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:33 pm

You have to match your outgoings to your cash flow. No point me ordering the fancy coffee machine if I know I can't pay it when it's due. If we're constantly having trouble paying salaries then a smaller salary bill would help. If that means worse players then so be it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:43 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:33 pm
You have to match your outgoings to your cash flow. No point me ordering the fancy coffee machine if I know I can't pay it when it's due. If we're constantly having trouble paying salaries then a smaller salary bill would help. If that means worse players then so be it.
I agree - but its a balancing act. He needs to sell the club and therefore running things very tight but (hopefully for Ken and us) remaining in the division preserves the value for any sale....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:25 pm

The reason for late payments coined the saying "The cheque is in the post". What it literally means is cash in the bank makes money via interest so people leave it there as long as they can. With a large bank balance, one day can generate a decent amount of money just by being there. I have had some very practical experience of this.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:34 pm

I didn't read TD (or anyone's) post as saying he should be pumping on millions of his own.

He should be paying the players in accordance with their contracts. There is no excuse for not doing so and certainly no "what would anyone do". He's a fecking spiv.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:34 pm
I didn't read TD (or anyone's) post as saying he should be pumping on millions of his own.

He should be paying the players in accordance with their contracts. There is no excuse for not doing so and certainly no "what would anyone do". He's a fecking spiv.
He is paying them. Albeit sometimes late. What I was saying is that, ultimately if the money isn't in the business to pay them then it means Ken has to stump it up or raise it somehow. Bottom line it means putting his own cash in.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:29 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:40 pm
Prufrock wrote:

He is paying them. Albeit sometimes late. What I was saying is that, ultimately if the money isn't in the business to pay them then it means Ken has to stump it up or raise it somehow. Bottom line it means putting his own cash in.
And buying a football club of course doesn't mean he's not obliged to see that as owner he's responsible for more than just his own personal bank account? I know he got the club for nothing, we all do, but since he owns it, it's his by law and, as such his responsibility to honour his debts and contracts. He's on show enough as el supremo at games and has the posh office yet seems quite ready to distance himself from any club problems. He's no Eddie Davies, that's for certain.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Albeit sometimes late is not acceptable.

Would anyone on here think fair enough if they got paid late, regularly, coz the bosses had f*cked up the cash flow.

He was the owner when Sammy signed his contract. He shouldnt have given it if he didn't think we could afford it.

And he hasn't been adverse to putting short term loans in when it suited him before.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Villa were f-in shite and anybody else in this division would have panned them on Friday
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:39 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Albeit sometimes late is not acceptable.

Would anyone on here think fair enough if they got paid late, regularly, coz the bosses had f*cked up the cash flow.

He was the owner when Sammy signed his contract. He shouldnt have given it if he didn't think we could afford it.

And he hasn't been adverse to putting short term loans in when it suited him before.
It isn’t acceptable, but what’s the alternative? Have nobody stumping up loans to bridge cash flow even if late? Admin and loads of job losses and asset stripping?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:42 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:35 pm
Villa were f-in shite and anybody else in this division would have panned them on Friday
To be fair, we had our chances. If that header had gone in, or had Otz connected better with his golden chance, we could have knocked their confidence and taken control of that game.

I said before the game that Villa have been shit this season and were there for the taking. But once again we shot ourselves in the foot with that early goal.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:23 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:03 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:50 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:39 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:28 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Parkinson's time WILL NOT BE DUE TO COME TO END under this parsimonious Chairman until he (Parkinson) can be sacked for no dosh outlay from Ken's pockets. We are, unfortunately, stuck with a shit manager, who has assembled a team of shit players, who cannot organise a ball pass between them, because we have a tit of a Chairman.
That opinion - whilst i don't share it - is fair enough. But what you, and others with similar thoughts, fail to offer is a credible alternative. We are stuck with a manager who has done a great job but may be limited / which other players should we have assembled - I don't recall there being many viable alternatives. And when we were going to go bust i don't recall many other alternatives to the current chairman...
Ok, here's an alternative: The Chairman (whoever he is, Ken included) invests in a manager with a plan. That 'plan' is allowed to come to fruition through the medium of the chairman investing in players that fit into the manager's plan. We've done it before with Davies and Allardyce, Derby did it with Whoever and Clough, Leeds did it with Whoever and Revie, Man U did it with Whoever and Red Nose. The fact is that Whoever tried to replace Revie with Clough at Leeds and failed, thereafter they went downhill big style. Both Derby and Forest imported Clough to have their golden moments in the sunshine. Red Nose outlasted Whoever and still succeeded under The American Wankers.
The point here is, if it ain't working fix it, and if it is working leave it alone.
It hasn't been working for us since Allardyce. It's no good saying it'll be the same and we should stick with Parkinson, we shouldn't - he's not got a plan. We need a chairman who can appoint a manager with a plan. I don't care who the Chairman is so long as he invests. I don't care what the plan is so long as it works. I'm pretty sure Big Mick would have a plan: Very boring plan, but a plan. I'm absolutely positive there is a youngish Dutch/Scottish/Norwegian/Polish manager out there with a plan - but we're not even looking for him.

That's all well and good. But what do you do if, like us, the Chairman doesn't have the money to invest in those players and there's no real hint of a takeover in the offing?
We sink without trace!
Like Leeds did, and Sheffield United do on a ten yearly cycle.
The Chairman shouldn't really have taken over, especially as it cost him only a quid, if it turns out he isn't really a businessman. It's not rocket science that investment brings returns in this fxcking market!!! It's one of the most studied markets on the planet.
His aim was to come in turn the club round and sell for a profit with very little investment along the way. It’s still the plan - only it’s taking longer. I’d argue the fact he’s not wanting to put his personal wealth in the club is testament to the fact he’s a good business man. Perhaps a shit chairman of a football club though.
...and I say if I told you my shit was brown, you'd tell me it was puce.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:42 pm

Jugs wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:42 pm
boltonboris wrote:
To be fair, we had our chances. If that header had gone in, or had Otz connected better with his golden chance, we could have knocked their confidence and taken control of that game.

I said before the game that Villa have been shit this season and were there for the taking. But once again we shot ourselves in the foot with that early goal.
Exactly, but if you spend so much time practicing defending, you forget how to attack. We have absolutely no ruthlessness except for the very off occasion
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:18 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:42 pm
Jugs wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:42 pm
boltonboris wrote:

Exactly, but if you spend so much time practicing defending, you forget how to attack. We have absolutely no ruthlessness except for the very off occasion
But the most worrying aspect, is that even though Parkinson is so obsessed with the defensive side of the game & is absolutely clueless in the attacking side of the game - we still cant defend and keep giving away soft defendable goals.

He's a league 1 manager at best with absolutely no track record of success at Championship level, and has played the same shite abysmal style of football since he 1st came here - but our chairman still thinks he's the right man for the job....although most know he's only backing him because it'll cost him money.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:43 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:33 pm
I agree - but its a balancing act. He needs to sell the club and therefore running things very tight but (hopefully for Ken and us) remaining in the division preserves the value for any sale....
Not at the prices you see banded about he won't, Ken needs to be a bit more realistic about what gain he walks away from BWFC with. Paid a quid, loaned a few bob which he's taken back, probably with some sort of interest and is rumoured to want £25+ million? It's not the lottery Ken, it's a mediocre football club that will never compete with the big boys.

That's realistic.