A welcome on the hillside......V Swansea at home, Sat 10-11-18 , 3-o'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A welcome on the hillside......V Swansea at home, Sat 10-11-18 , 3-o'clock.

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:54 am
Personally I'd stick almost no matter what. I think last year was a borderline miracle
With the points we finished on and winning only 1 of our last 7 games, I agree!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:02 am
twilight wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:42 am
Thanks pru for saying you don't go. If I didn't go, wasn't a STH I might be able to turn a blind eye and forget about it and say on to the next match. But I can't justify paying and having to go and watch the dire negative games each time and knowing when and not if the opposition scores, usually within the first 15 mins of a match its game over.
You might as well go out of the stadium and go to the cinema or wherever because sparky doesn't change anything. It's dejavu. And this is in no way being disrespectful to the non match goers.
I took 6 people on Saturday on the ticket offer. They won't be going again!!
I also dread going, don't enjoy it. I'm sure there are other ways I can suffer on a Saturday and not pay for it!!
This reminds me of the first 11 games last season and to me we have gone worse because at least we scored goals.
We are a struggling team because we lack the quality of many teams in this league.

I find it amazing how many Bolton fans cannot cope with watching a team that is struggling. It isn't great but this is what supporting a local town club involves. It will never always be top 10 premiership finishes. There will be periods when you are struggling in the lower end of leagues. It is what happens. It makes the next success period all the sweeter.

Hate to sound like a Brexiteer type but show some moral fibre. The suffering is all part of being a supporter and I wouldn't swap any of it for the world. Of course I'd like us to be better to be good, to win stuff. But we're not at a point where that is going to happen due to the financial position we're in. This modern football fanitis of "we want an attractive winning team NOW, and if we don't get it we stamp our feet" does my head in. Not everyone can have that all the time. Football is about peaks and troughs, even for the biggest clubs on earth.

I get being frustrated or annoyed with the manager or whatever. But the suffering is what makes the eventual joy all that much better. I could possibly cope with the complaints more if we weren't off the back of two successful seasons. There are clubs who won't have a celebratory pitch invasion in decades. Clubs who have had one promotion in 30 odd years. Their fans still go.
I accept that we're a bit shit compared to other teams. What I don't accept, is that the payers and manager accept it.

We are absolutely shit to watch. Not because of the lack of quality, but because of the lack of ambition to compete.

I want to celebrate us scoring goals. Not having the game decided after going a goal down in the first quarter of the match. It's shite, it's boring, it's frustrating and I feckin' despise the way we are setting up to play at the moment. I despise him saying the defence needs more cover, despite setting up with 2 or 3 attacking players at most and I despise the atmosphere at the club at the moment because of it all. We're going down with a whimper and I'd rather do it fighting

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:35 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:22 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
twilight wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:42 am
Thanks pru for saying you don't go. If I didn't go, wasn't a STH I might be able to turn a blind eye and forget about it and say on to the next match. But I can't justify paying and having to go and watch the dire negative games each time and knowing when and not if the opposition scores, usually within the first 15 mins of a match its game over.
You might as well go out of the stadium and go to the cinema or wherever because sparky doesn't change anything. It's dejavu. And this is in no way being disrespectful to the non match goers.
I took 6 people on Saturday on the ticket offer. They won't be going again!!
I also dread going, don't enjoy it. I'm sure there are other ways I can suffer on a Saturday and not pay for it!!
This reminds me of the first 11 games last season and to me we have gone worse because at least we scored goals.
We are a struggling team because we lack the quality of many teams in this league.

I find it amazing how many Bolton fans cannot cope with watching a team that is struggling. It isn't great but this is what supporting a local town club involves. It will never always be top 10 premiership finishes. There will be periods when you are struggling in the lower end of leagues. It is what happens. It makes the next success period all the sweeter.

Hate to sound like a Brexiteer type but show some moral fibre. The suffering is all part of being a supporter and I wouldn't swap any of it for the world. Of course I'd like us to be better to be good, to win stuff. But we're not at a point where that is going to happen due to the financial position we're in. This modern football fanitis of "we want an attractive winning team NOW, and if we don't get it we stamp our feet" does my head in. Not everyone can have that all the time. Football is about peaks and troughs, even for the biggest clubs on earth.

I get being frustrated or annoyed with the manager or whatever. But the suffering is what makes the eventual joy all that much better. I could possibly cope with the complaints more if we weren't off the back of two successful seasons. There are clubs who won't have a celebratory pitch invasion in decades. Clubs who have had one promotion in 30 odd years. Their fans still go.
I accept that we're a bit shit compared to other teams. What I don't accept, is that the payers and manager accept it.

We are absolutely shit to watch. Not because of the lack of quality, but because of the lack of ambition to compete.

I want to celebrate us scoring goals. Not having the game decided after going a goal down in the first quarter of the match. It's shite, it's boring, it's frustrating and I feckin' despise the way we are setting up to play at the moment. I despise him saying the defence needs more cover, despite setting up with 2 or 3 attacking players at most and I despise the atmosphere at the club at the moment because of it all. We're going down with a whimper and I'd rather do it fighting
We had Lennon who setup very attacking teams yet went down with a whimper. I don’t think the style matters when you are poor - you will seem like a team going down with a whimper.

But I do think there is enough character in this squad to show more than they are right now and somehow the manager has to find a way of unlocking that in them.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:35 pm

We had Lennon who setup very attacking teams yet went down with a whimper. I don’t think the style matters when you are poor - you will seem like a team going down with a whimper.But I do think there is enough character in this squad to show more than they are right now and somehow the manager has to find a way of unlocking that in them.
Tell them to keep doing what they're doing but do it better. There's no magic wand and no big plan that can change anything. That's what he should be telling the players. Push up and keep doing it. Everybody and his brother knows that if they pressure us we'll go backwards. One goal and we can be a different side. We have Sammi fit now and a choice of three strikers in Donaldson , Doidge and Magennis, and all that's needed is some fight. Unlock that.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:51 pm

Fans just want some guts and glory from this team at the moment. Instead of this meek, submissive bullshit the likes of which we saw against QPR at home (when QPR were like second bottom). Seems to me like PP is trying to get us to attack more, but at the same time obsessing over style. Forget style for the moment and just go for it from minute one, as opposed to sideways passing and Alnwick taking half an hour to take a goal kick. Let's have some aggression and some urgency to get ahead in a game. If we go 1-0 up, who knows what can happen?

People had a go at me for suggesting we should attack like we did against Forest on the last day of last season. Sure, we might lose more games than we win if we go for broke like that all the time, but we don't need to play like that ALL the time. But let's start games like that and see what happens. Obviously we can do it, we've shown that. Let's play like something depends on it and pepper the opposition with shots.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:48 am

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

See I don't think quality wise we are that bad. We did a really good job with our signings in the summer. Olkowski, Wheater, Hobbs, Lowe, Williams are Championship quality players. The keepers are fine. Last season we could use the lack of quality argument with much more justification.

Parky has to take some blame that he hasn't been able to fashion an effective attacking unit out of our attacking players. Everyone talks about Swansea having ex Prem players, but that isn't really true. Of the team that started against us only Fer and Van der Hoorn were involved in their Prem squads from last season, and they weren't regulars. Their front four was Celina, McBurnie, James, McKay. Last season they played for Ipswich (loan), Barnsley (loan), Swansea U23s and Forest. Yet on Saturday they were bright and inventive and had a dimension that we didn't have. I would wager if you swapped the two managers it would be us who would be bright and inventive and them who would be hard running and blunt up top.

We have been unlucky with Ameobi getting injured and him remaining fit might make all the difference. But Parky has managed too long at this level now and been on too many bad runs, to not conclude that his tactical acumen is lacking. And it is clear from watching us that we don't appear to work on our attacking movement and interplay the way that other teams at this level do. If we aren't going to do that we need to be impregnable in defence, and effective at set pieces and we have lost a bit of the former, and the latter completely.

Having said that I still believe we are in such a perilous financial position and have such a bad reputation (Ken's dubious poker strategy now a real issue), that it is hard for us to improve on Parky just now.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:08 am

^ great post
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:45 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:48 am
boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

See I don't think quality wise we are that bad. We did a really good job with our signings in the summer. Olkowski, Wheater, Hobbs, Lowe, Williams are Championship quality players. The keepers are fine. Last season we could use the lack of quality argument with much more justification.

Parky has to take some blame that he hasn't been able to fashion an effective attacking unit out of our attacking players. Everyone talks about Swansea having ex Prem players, but that isn't really true. Of the team that started against us only Fer and Van der Hoorn were involved in their Prem squads from last season, and they weren't regulars. Their front four was Celina, McBurnie, James, McKay. Last season they played for Ipswich (loan), Barnsley (loan), Swansea U23s and Forest. Yet on Saturday they were bright and inventive and had a dimension that we didn't have. I would wager if you swapped the two managers it would be us who would be bright and inventive and them who would be hard running and blunt up top.

We have been unlucky with Ameobi getting injured and him remaining fit might make all the difference. But Parky has managed too long at this level now and been on too many bad runs, to not conclude that his tactical acumen is lacking. And it is clear from watching us that we don't appear to work on our attacking movement and interplay the way that other teams at this level do. If we aren't going to do that we need to be impregnable in defence, and effective at set pieces and we have lost a bit of the former, and the latter completely.

Having said that I still believe we are in such a perilous financial position and have such a bad reputation (Ken's dubious poker strategy now a real issue), that it is hard for us to improve on Parky just now.
A very well reasoned post.

Does anyone on here follow the lower leagues and know of any managers we could realistically target that might improve our style of play? Genuine question as I only really follow our league.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:23 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We wanted to sign Celina and McBurnie (he was at Bradford with Parky on loan once) and both were way out of our price bracket.

Are you seriously saying that signing league one/2 late 20 somethings who've never done it at this level before is the equivalent to the quality Swansea have available? If so I think you've lost the plot somewhat.

But anyway - I do think we are better than this run suggests. But we are a bottom 6 team in this division and losing our better players for periods means we struggle even in that mini league. I hope we turn it round - I do think the notion that a change of manager suddenly means Magennis and Buckley etc become much better than they are a little ludicrous.

Frankly I think we're a big physical team and need to go back to focussing on that threat rather than ineffectively trying to play football. Because this isn't working. At all.

Lets go back to being physical, organised, strong on set pieces rather than trying to be a footballing team that isn't quite good enough at it to get consistent (or any) results.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:23 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We wanted to sign Celina and McBurnie (he was at Bradford with Parky on loan once) and both were way out of our price bracket.

Are you seriously saying that signing league one/2 late 20 somethings who've never done it at this level before is the equivalent to the quality Swansea have available? If so I think you've lost the plot somewhat.

But anyway - I do think we are better than this run suggests. But we are a bottom 6 team in this division and losing our better players for periods means we struggle even in that mini league. I hope we turn it round - I do think the notion that a change of manager suddenly means Magennis and Buckley etc become much better than they are a little ludicrous.

Frankly I think we're a big physical team and need to go back to focussing on that threat rather than ineffectively trying to play football. Because this isn't working. At all.

Lets go back to being physical, organised, strong on set pieces rather than trying to be a footballing team that isn't quite good enough at it to get consistent (or any) results.
Are we, though? I don't see many big, imposing players out there, except Josh but I've rarely seen him bully anyone yet. He has to get tougher, more snarling, more angry if what you're proposing is to work. Same for Williams.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:58 am

Jugs wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:55 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Are we, though? I don't see many big, imposing players out there, except Josh but I've rarely seen him bully anyone yet. He has to get tougher, more snarling, more angry if what you're proposing is to work. Same for Williams.
Yeah I agree we're in between.

But Donaldson, Doidge and Magennis are big lads who need to be physical. Midfield is physical but as you say its all a bit stand offish at times. We can dominate teams physically but the players need to have the right attitude to do so.

I worry that at the start we played it simple. Physical and organised. But since then we've tried to "evolve" and done it very badly. Without IMO the qualities needed.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:58 am

We have Ozzy, Vela, Wildschut, Dyer, Noone, Buckley, Doidge, Donaldson and Magennis. I think most managers at this level would fashion better attacking play out of those than Parky has done. They wouldn't perhaps have them working as hard, but there would be better movement and more cohesive attacking play.

You could well be right that Parky should've kept us playing more direct and aggressive and if we were to evolve to a side that passed it around more wait till the end of the season when we were hopefully safe or till the summer, and really work on combinations and maybe sign some more pacey players. It is like Parky decided around the end of September that we were going to try and be like the other teams, without doing enough work on the attacking element of it. We have got ourselves into a situation where opposition managers are picking their most attacking line ups and set ups against us because they know we won't score even if we have decent amounts of possession.

I still don't understand how our set pieces are so bad now, and why Magennis is taking long throw ins? And why are we consistently giving away the initiative in the first 20 minutes? Hopefully we are working on these things now.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:58 pm

It's a game of opinions isn't it! That list of players to me explains exactly why we are struggling. They just aren't good enough.

A child-sized walking YouTube clip, an up and down midfielder whose ups are Championship standard and whose downs aren't, one of the worst players I've ever seen in a white shirt, quick and strong but who plays like it's 1880 and passing is still considered "ungentlemanly", a guy who made his league debut 13 months after 9/11, bang average, bang average and always injured, a guy with 1 goal above league 2, a guy who made his league debut a year before we lost to Middleborough in the League Cup Final, and finally our top scorer and first cash signing in three years, who was a goalkeeper until he was 19.

I don't know that James fella, but none of the above are anywhere near Celina, McBurnie and McKay IMO.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Though agreed our set pieces are pathetic :)
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:44 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:58 pm
It's a game of opinions isn't it! That list of players to me explains exactly why we are struggling. They just aren't good enough.

A child-sized walking YouTube clip, an up and down midfielder whose ups are Championship standard and whose downs aren't, one of the worst players I've ever seen in a white shirt, quick and strong but who plays like it's 1880 and passing is still considered "ungentlemanly", a guy who made his league debut 13 months after 9/11, bang average, bang average and always injured, a guy with 1 goal above league 2, a guy who made his league debut a year before we lost to Middleborough in the League Cup Final, and finally our top scorer and first cash signing in three years, who was a goalkeeper until he was 19.

I don't know that James fella, but none of the above are anywhere near Celina, McBurnie and McKay IMO.
Yeah - it is where I am.

I think suggesting we should be a bit better than our recent run is ok. Saying that our players are better or even as good as Swansea's is not a stretch, but a chasm.

We're not very good, and especially attacking wise our quality compared to teams even in the middle of this division is way below the threshold.

If you look at good runs we've had its usually an individual attacking player carrying things - Madine before he left, Ameobi for a period after, Magennis at the start of this season to some extent.

But when those individual contributions dry up nobody seems able to step up and contribute to balance it out.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:18 pm

If Celina, McKay and James were in our side, I suspect that there would be a lot less invention, and they would be doing a lot more tracking back and tackling, and being taken off after 65 minutes looking knackered! Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that, but then we need an alternative method to win games,which would presumably be more direct and score goals as a result of constant pressure and set pieces.

McKay spent the second half of last season in Forest reserves, James is a 20 y/o youth product, and Celina whilst clearly talented wasn't always getting in the side at Ipswich. Wildschut has cost £7m in recent times, Buckley £2.5m. Swansea have only scored 19 goals in 17 games, and recently lost to Rotherham. I struggle with the argument Swansea necessarily have an abundance of creative talent that outclasses ours, before you start to coach them. I still feel Potter and other managers would have us looking far more inventive with our current players, if the two teams are both passing teams (which is probably the issue, we are not by nature a passing, inventive kind of team but are attempting to be one).

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Doidge is 6' and 11st - I'd say he's of bang average size for a footballer

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:58 pm

I have to say I did find this funny :lol:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:11 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Celina and McBurnie were way out of our price bracket? Do you know that, or is that just hyperbole?

Iirc we had an agreement with City but Celina chose Ipswich over us. I dont recall McBurnie being mentioned by anyone until after he'd driven us mad at oakwell last year. Had we bid for him in August 2017 & big spending Barnsley blew us out of the water?

I don't disagree that our rather lame attempts to play football isn't working but being strong on set pieces isn't a realistic alternative!

Much as I admire Parky you can't bemoan what he's working with and then name two players that were his signings. One of whom we paid cash for!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:10 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:11 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Celina and McBurnie were way out of our price bracket? Do you know that, or is that just hyperbole?

Iirc we had an agreement with City but Celina chose Ipswich over us. I dont recall McBurnie being mentioned by anyone until after he'd driven us mad at oakwell last year. Had we bid for him in August 2017 & big spending Barnsley blew us out of the water?

I don't disagree that our rather lame attempts to play football isn't working but being strong on set pieces isn't a realistic alternative!

Much as I admire Parky you can't bemoan what he's working with and then name two players that were his signings. One of whom we paid cash for!

We lost out on Celina because we weren't able to stretch to the fee that City wanted, and we wouldn't have needed to bid for McBunie because at that stage we still had Madine. Celina then went on to command a fee of at least three times our total transfer spending in the summer just gone.